HKT Stick bait prototypes finished

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

Finally got around to making a mold for stickbaits . I used a flexible silicone rubber for the mold .

I weight them up two different ways sinking and floating . Once I get the action I want I will be making a bunch for my Gt and Mexico trip's.

These will see paint in a few days .

Posted Image

Posted Image
Epoxy Huffing

#2 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

They look great, sure they'll swim good too

#3 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

Thanks Angelo .

I made two to sink slow slightly nose first and the other three I weighted like a traditional stickbait , sits vertical with the nose slightly above water.

They will get foiled also .
These are some handmade foils I made using foil tape
Posted Image
Epoxy Huffing

#4 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

they look great cant wait to see the finished product

#5 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Thanks bow guide . I have a few that have passed the swim test and will get hit with paint today .
Epoxy Huffing

#6 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

Not sure what i'm looking at, how'd you make it?

#7 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

angelo I'll post some better shots of the foil latter , I still have to cut out the shapes . Its foil tape thats I score with a tool to make the cross section scale effect .
Epoxy Huffing

#8 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

This is the foil cut

Posted Image
Epoxy Huffing

#9 johndtuttle

johndtuttle
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

They look awesome, looking forward to paint. :)

Is the harness cast inside or is it wired after molding? If so, what do you use to create the hole down the middle and do you weight them with traditional drilled out holes for lead?

best and thx for any replies. :thumbsu:

#10 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

The through hole is molded in along with the swivel hole and I wire it after molding . I wanted a swivel instead of a wire formed hook hanger . The mold is just a one piece prototype mold , I drill the holes for the weight . Once I get the weighting perfect I will make a mold that will have the holes for the weights molded in along with the swivel and through hole . I found the best action with some ballast weight placed forward of the swivel hole and a small tail weight and sits at 60 degrees with the nose just barely above the surface .

Posted Image

I test swam them in the hudson river on a strong out going tide and was very pleased with the action . To work them you keep the rod tip low to the water and use sweeps ,this will cause the lure to dive date and wiggle with a 4/0 St 66 on the belly and a 3/0 on the tail . I had a few others with different ballast setups and they all failed the swim test .

I love the action of wood lures and I think wood lures swim the best, but shaping none lathe turned baits is a pain in the butt . I do have a system for shaping stickbaits made from wood that produces pretty accurate results but with the use of a mold things are always consistent and I can pour one every 15 minutes with one mold .

The most time consuming and frustrating step in making the first prototypes was getting the micro balloons to resin ratios correct . for this lure I need to use 70 grams of each A & B resins with 10 grams of micro balloons added to each . The resin I use is Dascar RP-40 and the micro balloons are from Alumililite . The mold is made from a flexible RTV from Smooth on

I have a two more style stickbait I will be making prototype molds for over the weekend . I will be testing these along with some new popper shapes on my Gt trip in mMarch and My mexico trip in April :)
Epoxy Huffing

#11 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Got the foil on the paint will come next
Posted Image
Epoxy Huffing

#12 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Finished product .......... Still need a few more coats of finish .

Posted Image
Epoxy Huffing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users