Dry Tortugas form Key West

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

It's been so long since I fished out of Key West. Maybe about 25 years ago.
I plan to fish Dry Tortugas for mutton snapper and grouper on jigs this year before too late.
I caught tons of gag grouper, red grouper or scampi grouper on jigs, but black grouper has been elusive. There are good populations of black grouper in Dry Dortugas area and I hope I can land them on jigs this time.
It is always challenge to catch mutton snapper on jigs and I love to catch them on jigs too.

#2 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'd like to make a trip down there at some point. Grouper is closed until May?

#3 Bobber

Bobber
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'd like to make a trip down there at some point. Grouper is closed until May?

Grouper re-opens April 1st in the GOM. Population is looking very healthy, lots of juvies are being caught and released inshore.

#4 Jorge Fidalgo

Jorge Fidalgo
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

Kil, I fish the tortugas regularly and for the past few years I have been more and more inclinded to jigging, and now it is my prefered method of fishing. I normally fish with Yuri, in my opinion he offers the best possibilities for fishing the tortugas in comfort and angler satisfaction.

All of the trips I have done I have jigged a little bit and normally on anchor we catch fish, sometimes muttons, groupers are pretty easy to get and kings just destroy you and most spots will hold some kind of jack for a good fight. However, this last trip I requested from Yuri to drift jig specifically at some point and we did it on the last day for about 3 hours and it was spectacular. We drifted some deep humps in the marquessas area and in that time we caught almaco,amberjack, yellow eye snapper, mutton snapper, scamp grouper, king fish, blackfin tuna, and bonito not a drift went by where we weren't hooked up to something.

Problem with jigging the tortugas for any length of time is most anglers go there to fill coolers of muttons and feel that jigs spook muttons away. Most groups won't tolerate a full jigging trip. But I will say that I have met a few new friends recently that are inclined to go there for jigging mainly.

So if you like maybe we can set something up and jig the tortugas sometime this year. Let me know!

By the way, if you want to really get a black grouper and keep it your best bet will be in December this year, that's when they are the thickest before the grouper closure and again Yuri is the best man for it.

Edited by Jorge Fidalgo, 04 February 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

Another reason I should fish Dry Tortugas
They had 65 lb snow grouper too.

Posted Image

#6 Jorge Fidalgo

Jorge Fidalgo
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

Yea, Yuri knows his deep drop real well. But he deep drops in 800+ feet. Thats super deep for jigging lol.

#7 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Yea, Yuri knows his deep drop real well. But he deep drops in 800+ feet. Thats super deep for jigging lol.

It is normal to fish 800 plus ft for golden tile or snowy grouper. :)

#8 Jorge Fidalgo

Jorge Fidalgo
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

It is more yo yo jigging though correct? Not as much speed jigging?

#9 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

It is more yo yo jigging though correct? Not as much speed jigging?

Yes, no speed jigging. In fact, I call it slow jigging as the jigging motion is pretty slow.:)

#10 Jorge Fidalgo

Jorge Fidalgo
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Well Kil, let me know if you have something in mind for a trip or need help setting something up. I love the tortugas and really would like to do a mainly jigging trip there.

#11 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Well Kil, let me know if you have something in mind for a trip or need help setting something up. I love the tortugas and really would like to do a mainly jigging trip there.

Thanks for your help.
I had an overnight trip to Dry Tortugas on the Fishfinder out about 25 years ago and I tried to charter Andy Griffiths Charter to fish Dry Tortugas.
I am glad I have an opportunity to fish with Capt Yuris who has a very good reputation.

#12 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

While I am talking with other fishermen fish Dry Tortugas regularly, fishing could be better than I thought. Every fisherman entitle to some exaggeration, but bottom fishing there can be rival to any other places in the US.
I am just happy to have a few grouper and mutton snapper on jigs and tilefish/snowy grouper is a bonus if I can catch them.

#13 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

Problem with jigging the tortugas for any length of time is most anglers go there to fill coolers of muttons and feel that jigs spook muttons away. Most groups won't tolerate a full jigging trip. But I will say that I have met a few new friends recently that are inclined to go there for jigging mainly.

Jorge,
Whenever you talk with 'regular guys' on the Yankee Capt they insist jigs spook muttons away.
Jigs are designed to attract fish, not to spook fish.
If jigs spook fish, how can you catch fish on jigs ?

I am going to use jigs exclusively on jigs on the trips whether I catch or not on jigs.
For some reason, jigs don't work always even guys catch fish on baits. But I think I can catch enough fish on jigs on the trip and I don't bring fish anyway.

I hope we spend more hours for deep drops on the trip. It is challenging to catch big golden tile with a manual reels in 600 ft - 900 ft and it is more challenging to catch them on jigs.

#14 Jorge Fidalgo

Jorge Fidalgo
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

I agree with you 100% Kilsong. Nowadays I rarely fish with bait. I am really looking forward to our trip and I will resist fishing bait unless I become too tired to jig continously for 3 days. I prefer to fish with jigs than with electric reel for snowies and golden tilefish, to me fishing with electrics is commercial fishing.

#15 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

Whether you jig or use bait, fishing is fun.
Sometimes it is hard to resist not to use bait, when jigging doesn't work and they catch fish left and right around me using bait. :)
Mutton snapper, black grouper and golden tile on jigs. I can't wait for the trip.

#16 reelsizzler

reelsizzler
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

I would like to join you if you do a Tortugas trip with captain Yuri; Do you have room, and when were you thinking of going??

#17 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

It's been long since I fished out of Key West.
When Frank said he arranges multi-days trip to Dry Tortugas with Capt Yuri, I didn't hesitate to join the trip as this trip could be good test for various rods and jigs as we fish many different species from mutton snapper, grouper, golden tile to king mackerel.

Unlike a party boat, nobody complain I use jigs as they all know I am going to use only jigs and poppers on this trip. For return, they take my share of fish because I don't bring any fish with me. :)

I am going to test light Black Hole Magic Eyes jigging and popping rods as well as Black Hole inshore Hyper rods.

And also I will bring 80g, 150g and 250g Black Hole Cape Cod Special two-piece rods as a carry-on.

For jigging, I am not going to bring expensive jigs as I expect to lose a lot.
Mostly I'll use Super Sardine jigs, JIGNPOP Flat hammered diamond jigs and Tady jigs for bottom fish. They are proven jigs and I don't see any problem to catch bottom dwellers with them.
They said they are going to try deep drops for snowy grouper and golden tiles. I might bring a few heavy jigs just for them.

I'll bring Magic Eye inshore popping rods and some poppers just in case. Not many fishermen tried popping in Dry Tortugas, but it doesn't mean there is no opportunity at all.

We fish 3 days and I have lots of time to test tackle and fish in many different ways.
They even talk about going sword fishing before the trip.
I can't wait for the trip.

#18 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

The boat looks plenty of room even for 6 fishermen.

Posted Image

#19 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

wow what a beautiful rig . Kil can you post detail of where to contact Capt Frank for a future trip , do they have a website ?

Thank you

#20 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

wow what a beautiful rig . Kil can you post detail of where to contact Capt Frank for a future trip , do they have a website ?

Thank you

Their website is www.tortugasfishing.com
As you see most dates are gone already until Sept 2013 except Feb.
I think Capt Yuri has his personal plan in Feb.

#21 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

Thanks Kil , indeed they're book solid...Id always wanted to fish dry Tortugas.

#22 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

I booked the flight to Key West today.
I wanted to fly to Miami and drive to Key West from Miami.
But the airfare difference to Key West and to Miami is only $100 for some reason.

I'll ship a long rod case to Fl because I am afraid they charge a lot for the long rod to/from Key West as they use a small plane.

#23 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

I booked a hotel in Key West on Nov 12/22 today as weather looks good.

Here are my list of mutton snapper jigs.
I choose short and light jigs for them. If you guys have success with any particular jig, let me know.

Posted Image

#24 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

It seems everybody is ready for the trip.
Frank/Josh will pick me up on Thursday morning after making bait on a bridge on the way to Key West.
I packed my carry-on rod case.
I can manage to put 5 Black Hole two_piece conventional rods in it ( 80g, 150g, 250g, 350g and 450g), but butt sections are 4 because the but section of 250g and 350g are interchangeable.
I am leaving from Newark Airport tomorrow morning. See you guys on Thursday morning.

Posted Image

--------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com
www.blackholeUSA.com

#25 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

I am at Newark Airport waiting for a flight to Fort Myers, FL.
The weight of jigs alone were over 50 lb and I had to take off some jigs.
I should have sent jigs to Florida by Fedex.

I had all reels in one carry-on bag and 5 two-piece Black Hole jigging rods in one carry-on rod case and I had no problem to pass through the security check.

#26 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

#27 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Key West

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Blue Heaven Bar & Restaurant
Posted Image

#28 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

Nov 22

Frank and Gilbert picked me up at Inn at Key West and went to the boat. Josh and Dennis were catching bait at the dock.

Here are pictures of the boat. The boat is very roomy and six fishermen can fish very comfortably.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After relaxing on the boat, we went to old town of Key West.
Posted Image

Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then, we went to Hoghous Restaurant for dinner. Hoghouse is just next to the Yankee Capt.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

Nov 23

We got most of groupers on the first day.
I started to use 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special two-piece rod along with PE10 filled with 100 lb leader line/80 lb Jerry Brown Hollow. The choice of jig is my reliable 8 oz Flat Hammered diamond jig.

Red grouper fishing was great. I had a few 10 - 15 lb red on the jig before I got a monster.
I knew immediately the grouper is a big one when I hooked up the fish on 8 oz Flat Hammered diamond jig. It pulled very hard on heavy drag, but I could manage to lift the fish off the bottom. Once I brought up the fish in mid water, I felt safe and I was thinking about loosening drat a little bit, but then the monster pulled hard again taking a lot of line and
the fish could manage break 100 lb leader line.
I usually use 100 lb leader line for grouper fishing, but it is not safe enough on this trip and I changed to 120 lb leader line.
Capt Yuri told me later the spot holds many big black groupers and the monster must be a big black grouper.

I don't know how many reg groupers I caught on 8 oz Flat Hammered diamond jig on the firest day and other fishermen on the boat were very impressed with the effective of the jig.
Whenever I go grouper jigging, the jig is the first jig I use because I have confidence with the jig as it always produced for me in the past.

when Capt Yuri moved to deeper spots, we saw mutton snapper and I swiched to light Black Hole Magic Eye jigging rod rated to PE2.5(25 lb) line rating with PE4 reel spooled with new Black Hole white braid/40 lb leader line. I choose Black Hole Taifun 200g jig first.
It didn't take long I had my first mutton on the jig.
After catching 2 mutton on the jig, I experimented to add strip of squid on hook as we normally do for seabass jigging.
It was apparent mutton snapper hit the jig more with squid strip added.

I covered bottom and mid depth with the jigs and most of hit came when I bounced the bottom with jig. After this trip, I was convinced that you got to bounce the bottom with jigs if you want to get more hit from mutton as in the case of other bottom fishing on jigs.
Don't believe what others say.

I also paid my attention closely whether it is true or not that jigs would scare off mutton as some regulars of the Yankee Capt claim.
I fished along with other 4 -5 guys who used bait. After this trip I would regard their claim as a joke. While I was bouncing the bottom with jig next to them, they constantly got hit with bait. I found Capt Yuri loves to use jigs and I asked about his opinion. He said mutton snapper hit jigs regularly and don't believe jigs scare off mutton.
Jigs are designed to attract fish not to distract fish. If their jigs scare off mutton, they must use wrong jigs.

After wonderful dinner with fish we caught, we resumed fishing. After I caught many groupers on heavy gear, I started to use ultra light Black Hole Magic Eye/PE 4 reel for night bites.
It was a challenge to land a decent keeper grouper with such a light tackle, but it was ultra fun.

first grouper on 8 oz Flat Hammered diamond jig on the trip.
Posted Image

I couldn't count how may grouper I got on the jig on the first day.
Posted Image

Dennis fighting a nice Jack with a light tackle. Dennis is young kid. He love talking and he is genuinely nice kid. I had lots of fun to fish with him.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I used Black Hole Biter jigs for mutton, but grouper couldn't resist to swallow it.
Posted Image

I know assist hooks on top of a jig is very popular nowadays, but I still like to use hook at the bottom of a jig. Also some like to use long jig for groupers, but I feel I get more hit using short jigs.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Trigger fish loves to hit jig though it has very small mouth. A nice triggerfish caught on Black Hole Taufun jigs. I don't know how many species I caught with the Black Hole Taifun jig on the trip.
Posted Image

First mutton snapper on the trip using Black Hole Taifun jig.
Posted Image

Second mutton on the trip
Posted Image

Dinner time
Posted Image

Posted Image

Frank, Gilbert, Dennis, Josh and myself.
I met Frank for the first time on the trip, but I felt I met an old friend as we exchanged emails for long.:) He is the charter master of the trip. I have been chartering so many times and I know how much he was dedicating to make this trip successful. Thanks Frank for the invite. We are going to fish together many many time in the future.
Gilbert is simply hardcore bottom fisherman and a fine gentleman from Canada. I hope we had another chance to fish together soon.
Dennis is only 17 years old, but he has so much knowledge about fish and fishing. His big smile is a big asset to him. I am going to ask him to fly up to North when bluefin bites are hot. He just loves fishing. I fished with Josh for giant in P.E.I. in Sept. He loves fishing like others on the trip and he knows how to relax while fishing. I already made a plan to fish in Bermuda with Josh and Frank next year. I feel very fortunate to get to know them and fish together. They all have passion of fishing and they are very considerate to others on the whole trip. Thanks guys.
Posted Image

After dinner, we resumed fishing. I started to experiment jigs with strip of squid and mutton snapper responded very well. For tuna or grouper, it doesn't make much difference to use jigs with bare hook or with hook sweetened strip of bait. But some fish like seabass or golden tile respond very well to jig when strip of bait is added.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

Nov 24

When Capt Yuri moved the boat last night, I couldn't resist to sleep. Gilbert said this spot has lots of red groupers.
So I switched to use 450g Blackhole two-piece rod/PE10 reel. It didn't take long to catch two nice red groupers on 8 oz Flat Hammered diamond jig.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice mutton by Gilbert
Posted Image

Dennis catching a kingfish with light spinning tackle.
Posted Image

Nice mutton by Frank
Posted Image

Mutton on Black Hole Biter jig
Posted Image

Posted Image

Tutle on a jig ?

I have fought many strange fish in my life, but I never imagined I would hook up a turtle on a jig.
But it happened. While bouncing the bottom with Black Hole Taufin jig using super light Black Hole Magic Eye PE2.5 (25 lb) jigging rod/JM PE4 filled with BlackHole PE4 line, I hooked up with something heavy.
It didn't make headshakes and just pulled hard. I thought it was a big shark. After giving and taking line for long, I finally brought it to the surface. Someone shouted "Turtle !". Yes, it was a big turtle.
So I pushed the drag lever to full position to brake the line. But I couldn't break the line because the turtle swam toward me when I pulled hard. Tug of war continued for a while. Then fortunately the turtle got freedom when the hook got broken fortunately. :)
I couldn't believe the light Magic Eye jigging rod held the whole fight.
Capt Yuri told me later that this was only second time he saw turtle was fought on his boat.

Nice red grouper on Taifun jig again using light Magic Eye jigging rod.
Posted Image

Gilbert is very experienced mutton snapper fisherman and he only used bait for mutton.
But he joined jigging mutton after he saw me catching mutton on jigs.
Posted Image

we were hungry after long hour fishing and T-bone steak and fresh fish were not bad at all. :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

While we were having dinner, I watched screen full of spots. Capt said he stored about 3000 numbers.
When we asked whether he doesn't mind someone steal his number because GPS number is shown on the screen. He said with smile that number doesn't mean any thing if he doesn't know when to fish and how to fish the spots.
Posted Image

Fishing resumed after dinner.
nice yellowtail on Taifun jig.
Posted Image

landing a 100 plus goliath grouper with super light Magic Eye jigging rod

#31 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Nov 24 Part II

landing a 100 plus goliath grouper with super light Magic Eye jigging rod

Capt Yuri moved to deeper spot after dinner and I used same light Magic Eye/JM PE4 combo for mutton.
After bouncing the bottom with Taifun jig for a while, I hooked up with a big fish.
After battling with the fish us using 40 lb line for a while, I could move up the fish slowly off the bottom. I thought it was a shark, but it fought differently.
Then, I started to think it could be a goliath grouper.
Whenever I gain line, it got it back. after a long fight, the fish finally came up to the surface. Goliath Grouper !
It is no secret I love to catch big fish with light tackle, but I never dreamed I would land a 100 plus lb goliath grouper with a fluke rod. This has to be my highlight of the trip.

The main purpose of the trip was to test tackle and I am extremely pleased with the performance of Black Hole Magic Eye PE2.5 jigging rod and new Black Hole HYbrid braid line.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mutton didn't like jigs tonight
I had a great expectation to catch many mutton on jigs tonight.
But they didn't hit jigs at all. All other fishermen got hit continuously on bait, but I couldn't get single hit for two hours for unknown reason.
We experience seabass don't hit jigs well on wreck while they hit jigs savagely on rocky bottom. It could be the same reason. Mutton on this spot might feed on something else. Or they might not respond to jigs well at night.
Now, I had three choices. 1) To continue to jig until I get bite. 2) To go to sleep and 3) to use bait.

Gilbert gave me some tips how to use bait for mutton on previous day and it didn't take long to figure out how they bit and how to hook them.
I used J hook first and it worked great. But when I experimented with circle hooks, I dropped a few mutton. When I went to back again to J hook, I had solid hookups. I fished all night and in the morning until the boat moved for deep drop.. There must be more goliath grouper on this spot because I lost three mutton on the way up. It was a fun day again.

Frank with a nice mutton
Posted Image

Gilbert working his bait
Posted Image

#32 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Nov 25

Deep Drop

Capt Yuri ran to the east for deep drop spots.
As you know, I am not a fan of electric reels, but I wanted to see how they operate with electric reels while I jig manually.
On the first drop, I dropped a couple of nice fish. Capt Yuri managed power drift so I didn't have any problem to use 550g jig. On the second drift Capt Yuri pushed the boat forward for some reason and I knew my line would be tangled with lines of electric reels though I fished on the bow.
After the tangle, I gave up fishing and asked Capt Yuri to make only one drift for jigging after they finished fishing with electric reels.

We didn't fish long and we caught snowy grouper and rosie on each drop.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally Capt Yuri asked me to jig.
Capt Yuri is very good at power drift and I could use a light jig though we fished 600 - 800 ft deep.
On the first drift, I had a big hit on my jig, but I missed. Then I got a big hit again and it pulled line very hard. I knew it could be 50 lb or bigger. After reeling for long from the deep, I was very disappointed to see a shark. But It was my first time to catch a hammered head shark.
You never know what to catch next in this water. :)
I used 450g Black Hole two-piece rod and JM PE10 filled with 60# Jerry Brown Hollow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think not many fishermen try manual reels for deep drop in Florida, but they can use manual reels for bait fishing and jigging for deep drop with Capt Yuri.

We headed back to the dock after deep drop fishing. It seems everyone on the boat was very pleased on the trip.

#33 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

It took over 3 and half hours to clean fish even with the help of a hired guy.
He charged $30 per hour and I think the rate is very reasonable.

Final dinner together.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Capt Yuri kindly enough to let us rest/sleep on the boat before we left.
All guys left at 1:30 am to Miami next day and I left 7:00 am to Airport in Key West.

The Black Hole two-piece rod and the rod case worked out great on this trip.
I didn't have any issue to carry on the rod case on the plane and 450g Black hole two-piece rods had lots of action with big fish. I am very satisfied with the action of the rod and I can recommend the two-piece rods to other fishermen without any reservation.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

bye bye Key West

Posted Image

Posted Image

Back to Florida coast
Posted Image

Posted Image

and over NYC

Posted Image

#34 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Nice fishing report, Looks like an excellent trip for bottom fishing which is my favorite.

#35 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Kil just by the pics & your comments makes me wanna go NOW. Please keep us updated when is the next one , please

Edited by Anthony, 28 November 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#36 neilf59

neilf59
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Great report. Refreshing to read some alternate views and techniques on fishing the Tortugas.

#37 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Nice fishing report, Looks like an excellent trip for bottom fishing which is my favorite.

This is THE trip for any bottom fishermen. I must caught 12 - 14 keeper grouper on jigs on the first day and the total numbers of groupers including shorts on jigs must be close to 50 on the trip even we spent last days for deep drops.

Mutton snapper is so much fun with jigs or bait. As soon as you hook up a mutton, you hear reel screaming sound.

#38 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Kil just by the pics & your comments makes me wanna go NOW. Please keep us updated when is the next one , please

I highly recommend to fish with Capt Yuri. I probably go with the same guys during next Thanksgiving. Frank is the charter master of the trip and he did a wonderful job.
When you go to message board of Capt Yuri's site, there are guys who look for fishermen to fill the charter.

#39 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

I highly recommend to fish with Capt Yuri. I probably go with the same guys during next Thanksgiving. Frank is the charter master of the trip and he did a wonderful job.
When you go to message board of Capt Yuri's site, there are guys who look for fishermen to fill the charter.

Thanks Kil , didn't know Capt Yuri had a forum site. Can you post it up please

#40 johndtuttle

johndtuttle
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the fine report Kil. Looks like a great time :).

#41 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Thanks Kil , didn't know Capt Yuri had a forum site. Can you post it up please

Here is Capt Yuri's message board.

http://www.tortugasf...ssageboard.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users