How short/long is your leader line ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

Bait fishermen seem to use longer leader line when they use braid as main line.
I use short 12' - 15' fluoro carbon leader line for jigging and popping.
How long do you use leader line for jigging and popping ?

#2 WhiteLakeBuc

WhiteLakeBuc
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

8-10 ft for popping
12-15 ft for jigging
20 ft for bait

#3 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

for popping i only go 4-5 feet i like to keep my connections out of the guides. Better distance and your connection doesnt get beat up by the guides

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

When we jigging bluefin out of Cape May, one guy, who is a beginner, tied a jig directly to the main braid line. I didn't tell anything because I wanted to see the result.
Within 5 minutes he hooked up a nice bluefin while I didn't get any bite. :blink:

I read this discussion on a fishing site in California and nobody said they use leader line shorter than 25 ft for jigging. Some said they use 50' leader line for jigging.

#5 fishnwrestle

fishnwrestle
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

when jigging for tuna I use 25-30 ft and wont go less than 15 ft when i am cutting it back or re tieing knots

Edited by fishnwrestle, 02 February 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

I didn't notice tuna are line shy as long as the F/C( I always use Fluoro Carbon) is 8 ft or longer. The reason I use 12' - 15' is there are occasions I have to retie or line could be damaged while fighting.

Here is my rationale to use short leader line.

1. line capacity
Jigging and popping usually requires long hour nonstop fishing and lighter, smaller reels are preferred. When using smaller, light reels, the line capacity can be an issue.
The more you have mono lines on your reel, you lose line capacity.

2. hook up ratio
tuna spit jigs in a split second. Mono stretches too much and the stretch give some room for tuna to spit jigs.

3. water resistance
thicker leader line get more water resistance.

#7 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

I dont think popping requires a longer leader like jigging does. I probably had double the amount of strikes everyone else did in Panama last year and I used a shorter (4-5ft) leader than everyone else did. Also in NC a few weeks ago I had the most strikes and i only had a 3ft 300# leader that I switched to on the mates recommendation.

#8 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

I dont think popping requires a longer leader like jigging does. I probably had double the amount of strikes everyone else did in Panama last year and I used a shorter (4-5ft) leader than everyone else did. Also in NC a few weeks ago I had the most strikes and i only had a 3ft 300# leader that I switched to on the mates recommendation.

I tend to agree with you, Scott.
I experimented short 5 ft leader line connected with a small ring for popping and I haven't notice any difference as far.
I tested in Panama and PV and had lots of bites.

#9 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

I have always use about a 15 ft leader for jigging and for popping I like the leader to be a rods length
Epoxy Huffing

#10 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

For popping, the generally accepted rule is to use short leader line long enough you touch leader line with you fingers when casting. But I don't have any problem to touch braid with my bare hands when casting.:)

#11 WhiteLakeBuc

WhiteLakeBuc
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

I like my popping leader to be long enough so that the end of the leader material does not make it on the spool. When casting, my finger is either right on the end the leader material or on the braid.

#12 Sea Bear

Sea Bear
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

I only use wind-on leaders and I never bother with fluorocarbon when jigging/popping.

Jigging = 25 feet
Popping = 9-10 feet

#13 1morerak

1morerak
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

I think the leader should be at least the length of the fish you are targeting, when casting.

#14 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

The reason some on the west coast use leaders at least 7 or 8 feet long is the concern for abrasion resistance should the tail of a big tuna hit the
line as it tries to escape by swimming away from the boat. This does happen fairly often from a long range boat as we are generally anchored and cannot position ourselves for the best angle to the fish. Spectra, though a fantastic product, has terrible abrasion resistance regardless on the pound test.
Mono has good resistance with Flouro being improved over Mono in this regard. I personally only use enough length to have the serve of my wind on outside the tip. This is generally just a few feet and have not been bitten or rubbed off yet. However, I still have not landed a Cow size tuna on my poppers from a long range boat so hopefully I will see soon how that works out. Since I use a glove on my casting hand I have no problem messing up my index finger of my right hand. As a note the Nitride gloves sold at Home Depot or what ever depot you guys have out east sell the perfect gloves for me at about 59 - 69 cents a pair and come in 10 packs. Very light weight and you can cut the tips of the fingers easily to modify them for your requirements with just some home scissors. The coating is very thing but super durable and will not wear out from days of abuse by Spectra. I only change them out due to
sanitary reasons.... Use your imagination but keep your thoughts to yourself Scott....LOL

Jamie

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users