270 accurate

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gary8655

gary8655
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:50 AM

thinking about buying used accurate boss 270 for bottom fishing and tuna jigging up to 100 any body have this and what do you think looking at this reel cause its only 20 ounces

#2 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

Great reel with nice metalwork. Be careful with the drag setting as it does not have a anti reverse dog. The AR runs on ar bearings and there is always so so much drag the reel can handle before the AR is done! The newer series boss reels took 25-30 pounds of drag before the Ar was destroyd. I do not know if the older series had one or two ar bearings. Rumor has it that double dogs is to be installed in future accu reels. I have had three and I loved them, but didn't quite feel safe, so I went with JM

#3 ckonkol

ckonkol
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

Have 2 of the older 270's both reels are great never had any issues with either of them.

Edited by ckonkol, 31 January 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

Accurate 270 is a small reel and the reel has been popular among jig fishermen.
As long as you use drag 20 lb or less, you shouldn't have any problem.

#5 gary8655

gary8655
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

thanks kilsong for honest answer gary

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

thanks kilsong for honest answer gary

You are welcome.
JM guys loved to use Accurate Boss reels for jigging before they developed their own brand JM PE reels. When I asked Accurate whether they have any reported problems of anti-reverse bearings, They said there was no issue. However, JM developed dual docking system because they experienced failures of bearings. JM guys must use very heavy drag.:)
You can purchase dual docking system from JM, but it only works for single speed Accurate reels.
I tested Accurate 665 two-speed for three years extensively and I liked the reel thought it has a few minor issues. I still believe Accurate reels are the best among reels made in the US.

#7 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

I thought these dual docking sets was for the big two speeds? are they still in production? You would have to have a new spool pinion, a dog plate and dogs... To install the dog bracket you would have to drill in the house I believe...??

#8 Enoch

Enoch
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hafnor we probably asked ourselves this same question...
Why have to buy the reel and spend for a docking system from JM and have all the money invested just to have the performance capability of stock version JM PE reel?
I cannot justify it unless I become a collector. I am not, I am a fisherman.

#9 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

x2, Accurates are very nice reels indeed! But JM just has it all... It is straight up the best conv. reel out there. strong gear, strong anti reverse, top notch german bearings, super even and strong drag.. The best handle on the market... It is just a great reel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users