Saltiga 40 or JM PE4

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

I'm looking for a new reel for deep drop fishing (mostly jigging, some bait)and jigging for some tuna etc.
I have the Saltiga 40 star drag and I love it but I am thinking about Saltiga 40LD or the PE4, PE6.

Pro's, Con's? Thanks for any advice

Edited by fishnh, 26 January 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#2 ckonkol

ckonkol
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

I would pick the PE 6 thing is a beast. Have used the PE 3 the only thing I don't like about it is the preset always ends up loosening and end up with no drag. If that didn't occur hands down that reel. I have 2 Saltiga's and love them. I was really looking forward to the Saltiga lever drags to come out but was very disappointed when they did reach the market. The gear ratio is awful 7.something-1 is way too fast unless you get the 2 speed.

#3 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Definitely get the JM I use the pe7 ,its good for big tuna and also holds enough line for tile fishing
Epoxy Huffing

#4 Eandersen

Eandersen
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

I think you will need at least a PE 7....I use one filled with suffix 65 and its good but I wouldnt go any smaller... not enough line comp.. The JM reels are winches and super comfortablefor the dd stuff. Im thinking abt getting a 10 to add to my dd collection. The only thing i can say is they are extremely comfortable to reel up pigs from the deep but are a bit over kill...but if you like to jig tuna its worth it. Like I said before go with the PE7 and you will be real happy. The smaller ones might work but you will not have enough line on the reel to gain it back quick enough. And I have never had a problem with the preset...and thats fishing it real hard for tiles and jigging. I didnt have to touch it once on my last tile trip and it was a 5 day trip...as a matter of fact i went tuna fishin a few weeks later and didnt have to touch it.

#5 Eandersen

Eandersen
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

and to add something else the only LD reel that has ever lasted and worked flawlessly was my JM reel....the avets diawas and shimanos all crapped out and the drags are garbage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users