FINS Hollow Color Coded Line

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

We have color coded braid lines made in the US now.
Tuf-line Guides Choice and Jerry Brown Hollow

Tuf-line Guides Choice Indicator
Tuf-line solid was my choices before I switched to hollow lines.
Tuf-line is very consistent and prices are not expensive.
When they introduced color coded Guides Choice line I was very disappointed because the color changes at every 10 ft with three different color.
It seems they make color coded line without knowing the purpose of it.
You drop the line crank and drop again a few times. Then you lose the depth of your jigs.

Jerry Brown Hollow color coded line
The new color coded line become popular as JB Hollow has some advantage of Japanese PE lines. The breaking point of Jerry Brown is higher and more consistent than Japanese PE lines. And also JB Hollow lines are spliceable.

However it changes color at every 10 yards with 10 different colors.
I used Japanese PE line with 5 colors and 10 colors. 10 colors are simply too many.
I recommend JB Hollow color coded lines just because I didn't have any other better alternative among hollow lines.

Then, FINS introduced color coded hollow line.
Finally I got the line I wanted. Color changes at every 25 ft with 4 different colors. When jigging tuna you don't need exact depth for Japanese style jigging.
Let say tuna are marked at 100 ft. You just drop jig to 150 ft and crank upto 50 ft and drop to 150 ft again. With color changes at 25 ft and with only 4 colors, it is much easier and convenient to drop your jigs at desirable depth.

I see 80 lbs is 16 stranded like Jerry Brown hollow. Jerry Brown 80# breaks at 150# and I can assume this FINS line has similar breaking point.

It seems to me FINS hollow color coded lines are big winner if the line is as strong and consistent as Jerry Brown.
I plan to experiment this FINS hollow color coded lines extensively.

#2 fishnwrestle

fishnwrestle
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

sounds like this could be a winner. i have 100 yards of tuff line hollow indicator on top of JB white and if this line tests out good i will definatly be replacing the tuff line with it.

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

According to Paulus tests, 80# Fins braid breaks at around 130#. It is pretty impressive.

http://www.paulusjus...linetesting.htm

#4 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

Also you must add Tony Maja's fin-s braid markings @ 100ft. It is also marked at every 25 or 50 ft with a dash.
I liked fishing with it, felt very easy to know that you are are least 1-200ft down. Caught fish well with it but the fish were easy to catch that day :rolleyes:

Sometimes with the different colors if you dont keep track you may say I dont remember if I'm @ 125 or 225 or etc.

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

Also you must add Tony Maja's fin-s braid markings @ 100ft. It is also marked at every 25 or 50 ft with a dash.
I liked fishing with it, felt very easy to know that you are are least 1-200ft down. Caught fish well with it but the fish were easy to catch that day :rolleyes:

Sometimes with the different colors if you dont keep track you may say I dont remember if I'm @ 125 or 225 or etc.

Angelo, 100 ft mark is good too. If I make color coded line, I would change color at every 50 ft with white color mark at 25 ft for tuna jigging

#6 GanderVA

GanderVA
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

We have color coded braid lines made in the US now.
Tuf-line Guides Choice and Jerry Brown Hollow

Tuf-line Guides Choice Indicator
Tuf-line solid was my choices before I switched to hollow lines.
Tuf-line is very consistent and prices are not expensive.
When they introduced color coded Guides Choice line I was very disappointed because the color changes at every 10 ft with three different color.
It seems they make color coded line without knowing the purpose of it.
You drop the line crank and drop again a few times. Then you lose the depth of your jigs.

Jerry Brown Hollow color coded line
The new color coded line become popular as JB Hollow has some advantage of Japanese PE lines. The breaking point of Jerry Brown is higher and more consistent than Japanese PE lines. And also JB Hollow lines are spliceable.

However it changes color at every 10 yards with 10 different colors.
I used Japanese PE line with 5 colors and 10 colors. 10 colors are simply too many.
I recommend JB Hollow color coded lines just because I didn't have any other better alternative among hollow lines.

Then, FINS introduced color coded hollow line.
Finally I got the line I wanted. Color changes at every 25 ft with 4 different colors. When jigging tuna you don't need exact depth for Japanese style jigging.
Let say tuna are marked at 100 ft. You just drop jig to 150 ft and crank upto 50 ft and drop to 150 ft again. With color changes at 25 ft and with only 4 colors, it is much easier and convenient to drop your jigs at desirable depth.

I see 80 lbs is 16 stranded like Jerry Brown hollow. Jerry Brown 80# breaks at 150# and I can assume this FINS line has similar breaking point.

It seems to me FINS hollow color coded lines are big winner if the line is as strong and consistent as Jerry Brown.
I plan to experiment this FINS hollow color coded lines extensively.

#7 GanderVA

GanderVA
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Fins is now listing the metered 50# hollow core on their site. MSRP is a little pricey. 60# is $132/300 yards and 80# is $87/ 300 yards. Fins MSRP is higher than most retailers and alot higher that you can get at their boat/fishing booths. From a discussion with a Fins rep about a year ago, the 60# was on hold until they got the new Honeywell spectra. http://www51.honeywe...gLine.html?c=42

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users