I ordered 2 8 foot Blackhole Popping rods

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

After test driving several different popping rods in Panama I decided to order 2 Blackhole 8 foot popping rods. One Nano Technology and one Graphite. Though the two seem to be similar there are definitely differences in stiffness. Here on the West Coast I generally go on 8 day Long Range Trips, perfect for the Nano Tech, and up to 17 day trips, perfect for both rods, so I will be able to really put these things to the test. Paired with Stella 18K reels and 20K Max spools I feel I should be ready to Pop for almost anything that swims. The real test will be hooking into a cow size Yellowfin on the poppers from an anchored Long Range Boat. Maaan, I cannot wait. I feel even the 100 pound tuna we run into on the 8 day trips will be easily subdued by these things but we will see. Though I am getting older my Popping and jigging juices have really been running high so hopefully the adrenalin will carry me through. I noted to my fellow Panama Popper group I do not hand off ever when on a fish, unless I am hooking and handing to help others, so I have a ton riding on these rods and rigs. It's always interesting to see how my fellow West Coast Long range passengers and crews react to spinners but we are selling a whole lot more of them this year than last. On my next ultra long range trip I will be making sure my Life Insurance is paid up because if I hook up to a cow I will not quit until one of us is in the water boat side. Chances are I will release the fish but who knows, either the fish or I will be toasting to the one that did or did not get away.

Best of luck to all who enter the fray looking to do battle with the big dogs Popping or Jigging.

Jamie

#2 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

jamie its nice to see you cross over to the dark side finally

#3 tuna loco

tuna loco
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

How receptive to spinning gear are the LR fleet? On my Red Rooster 3 trip there was no way during a tuna stop they would have allowed anyone to cast a spinner into the fray. It would not have set right messing up the "Slide". You would be casting over thier heads and far beyond the reach of the rail broomstick winch they all use. Several times the Captain would call down for no less than 50W-130 to be used. I can imagine the regular old timers screaming if you cause a tangle or take too long to bring a fish in. I try to picture the look on their faces when someone pulls out a Stella 10k and a 5' spinning rod to fish on a LR trip. Would it have to be advertised as a spinning also trip?

#4 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

Harold,

Since I have been pushing spinners in Long Range for the last few years you would be surprised at the number of Spinners coming aboard and how many we are selling to the Long Range Fleet. Once the techniques for actually catching quickly bigger tuna are learned these things will be off the hook. No one gives me any grief any more about spinners rather they get very interested to see how fast I can get a big boy in. I am getting faster each trip but still have a ways to go. Come with me on one of my trips and no one will keep you from using them.

Jamie

#5 tuna loco

tuna loco
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:09 PM

Jamie I am very interested in a LR trip over the winter. Put something together and LETS GO!

#6 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:03 AM

January 6 on the Intrepid 2012. 14 days Always a great trip.

Jamie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users