Hot from Japan!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:35 AM

There you go. The first glimpse of the English speaking world on the 2012 Daiwa Catalina B)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've been acquainted with a pre-release reel, and when they're available commercially one will join the line for reels to be reviewed.

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

I am anxiously waiting for your review of the reel.
They say the max dag of Catalina 6500 is 30 kg (67 lb).
It could be an alternative of Saltiga or Stella with cheaper price if the reel can take pressure of 30 plus lb drag for long.

#3 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

Kil, you are probably talking about the old Catalina. The new one will be released up to 5000 size with 15KG maximum drag, and bigger sizes will come later and will indeed have 30KG drag, but that information has not been made available publicly yet. Unless of course you spoke to someone inside Daiwa :lol:

Actually the new Catalina is breaking the rules. Usually Daiwa and Shimano release high end reels (Stella and Saltiga), then follow them with second tier reels that are a watered down versions of the high end (Twin Power SW and Catalina). The main difference between the high end and second tier was the gearing. They use the best and strongest gears for the high end, then use a weaker gearing for the second tier. The 2012 Catalina I examined though had the same first tier gearing as the 2010 Saltiga!! It was a pre-release version, but I am 95% sure this is what the production version will have.

That got me puzzled for a while. In the past they downgraded gears on second class reels to give an incentive for people to pay more for the high end. But compared to the 2010 Saltiga, the 2012 Catalina doesn't seem that watered down. With magseal waterproofing and gearing being the same, the only major differences are 5 less ball bearings that don't harm or make any conceivable difference in smoothness, a cheaper handle knob, a bail wire that is two pieces (one piece in Saltiga), a plastic rear shield, and lack of cosmetic carbon fibre on the spool and sides of the body. The 5000 size will be $750. I'm thinking that they made that dramatic change because now there is a $700 high end reel that has gearing that is even stronger than the Saltiga's. I'm talking about the Torque of course.

Despite being almost positive, I will still try to get a definitive word that the Saltiga gears from the prototype actually made it into the production Catalina. If that's the case then I can't think of a reason why anyone would still pay $1200 for a Saltiga :blink:

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Alan,
great info as usual.
Based on you info, Daiwa Catalina could be an answer for alternative reels for Stella and Saltiga if they make 6500 size reel.
15kg drag of Catalina 5000 is good enough for most fish. I tested Accurate SR20 for two years and caught bluefin upto 180 lb.

I am driving down to NC for bluefin jigging/popping and test prototype two-piece Black Hole jigging rod and Penn TQR S9 on monday.
I heard the other group landed 3 for 5 and has a bluefin upto 340 lb on a popping rod today.

#5 saltiga

saltiga
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

Sensational Alan

I have the old 6500 Catalina and the 6000 Catalina and i think they are a great reel for there price.
The new Catalina looks very much like the new Saltiga what do you think the price would be on the new Catalina.?

Edited: ok i missed the $750 for the 5000 Catalina

Cheers Rob

Edited by saltiga, 14 January 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#6 WhiteLakeBuc

WhiteLakeBuc
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

WOW!!! Sounds great. When can we expect to see these for sale?

#7 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

They go on sale in Japan late February early March. The big ones should come later in 2012. Can't wait to go nuts on one of them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users