Daiwa Saltiga 40

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

I have a saltiga 40 that is original. I use it mostly for deep drop tile fishing but will also use it for tuna jigging (under 100#).
I am wondering if I should change the drag washers. Is there anything better than what it comes with from the Mfg.?
Thank you

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

I have a saltiga 40 that is original. I use it mostly for deep drop tile fishing but will also use it for tuna jigging (under 100#).
I am wondering if I should change the drag washers. Is there anything better than what it comes with from the Mfg.?
Thank you

I don't think anybody abused Saltiga 40/50 for tuna than I did. :) Some say drag washers of Saltiga are fragile, but I didn't have any drag problem even though I use the reels extensively and intensively.
If you use the reel for tuna under 100#, the reel is perfect.
You don't have to change original Saltiga drag washers unless they gives problem.
It cost $100 to change original Saltiga drag washers. If you want to change drag washers, order carbontex drag washers from Smoothdrag.

#3 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hi Kil, thank you for the answer. I have no problems with the drag and fought an est. 200# Bluefin with it (hook pulled at the boat)the reel worked just fine. I was just wondering if I should do anything with the drags but I will leave it as is

I have a Saltiga 20 that loses it drag when cold (below freezing) but I remember something about the grease on the stock drags freezing.
If I remember correctly I think cal's grease should be applied. (wish I could do it myself)

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

David,
I experienced that a few reels lost drag while fishing in freezing weather.
However, who is going to fish in freezing weather except hardcore Northeast fishermen. :)

#5 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

David,
I experienced that a few reels lost drag while fishing in freezing weather.
However, who is going to fish in freezing weather except hardcore Northeast fishermen. :)

Hardcore and a little crazy :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users