14 replies to this topic

#1 Vedat Abayoglu

Vedat Abayoglu
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:07 AM

Dear members

I am a new member from Turkey.

I am living at seaside of North Aegean sea.

Just opposite to some Greek islands.

At last one of my close friend bought a boat which is suitable for open sea fishing.So we start jigging mostly bottom species such as Dentex,Grouper of for Dentex up to 30 pounds and for grouper up to 100 pounds.

İt's always possible to face some big Tunas and Amberjacks.

İn every suitable weather conditions,we go jigging.

Results are fantastic.We cought many dentex besides some tunes.Hoping to catch a really big AJ.

My problem is to obtain or need some advises for really deep waters jigging.

The sea at there is have strong currents also.So I face with some difficulties to reach deep bottoms.

I use various kinds of jigs.Such as River2Sea,Jigging master,Shimano Butterfly,Yamashita,

But it is very difficult to buy or find some suitable jigs.

Awaiting for your advises.

Best regards

#2 robertsimitis

robertsimitis
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

Saygıdeger Vedat Agabey,
Sen bu isin kitabini yazmissin ( avmarketim.com da satiliyor). Birak bizim gibi acemiler sorsun bu sorulari.
Iyi seneler dilerim.
Saygılar
Robert

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

My problem is to obtain or need some advises for really deep waters jigging.

The sea at there is have strong currents also.So I face with some difficulties to reach deep bottoms.

I use various kinds of jigs.Such as River2Sea,Jigging master,Shimano Butterfly,Yamashita,

But it is very difficult to buy or find some suitable jigs.

Awaiting for your advises.

Best regards

When current is strong, there are two choices. One is to use heavier jigs and the other is to
use of power drift.

It is not uncommon we use 700g or heavier jigs for deep drop for tilefish.

However, power drift is the way to go if you go on a private boat.
I used to run my boat solo to catch fluke(summer flounder) around Ambrose Channel off NY Harbor where current is very strong. while facing wind/current, I put gear in and out so that my light jig stay close to 90 degree and caught fluke.

When I went on a cod jigging trip out of Gloucester, MA two weeks ago, Capt continuously used power drift so that we could use light 8 - 10 oz jigs.
It is not secret you get more hit when you use light jigs.

#4 Vedat Abayoglu

Vedat Abayoglu
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:22 AM

Saygıdeger Vedat Agabey,
Sen bu isin kitabini yazmissin ( avmarketim.com da satiliyor). Birak bizim gibi acemiler sorsun bu sorulari.
Iyi seneler dilerim.
Saygılar
Robert

#5 Vedat Abayoglu

Vedat Abayoglu
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:22 AM

Saygıdeger Vedat Agabey,
Iyi seneler dilerim.
Saygılar
Robert

#6 Vedat Abayoglu

Vedat Abayoglu
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:26 AM

Sevgili Robert

Cevabına sevindim.
Türkce yazmak doğrumudur bilmiyorum.

Ben hemen hergün muhtelif forumları okur ve ilave bilgiler peşinde koşarım.
Bu bakımdan sordumdu.

Mesela Power drift nedir tam anlamadım.

Sevgiler

PS.Eager to send various pics.about my latest trips

#7 Vedat Abayoglu

Vedat Abayoglu
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:37 AM

When current is strong, there are two choices. One is to use heavier jigs and the other is to
use of power drift.

It is not uncommon we use 700g or heavier jigs for deep drop for tilefish.

However, power drift is the way to go if you go on a private boat.
I used to run my boat solo to catch fluke(summer flounder) around Ambrose Channel off NY Harbor where current is very strong. while facing wind/current, I put gear in and out so that my light jig stay close to 90 degree and caught fluke.

When I went on a cod jigging trip out of Gloucester, MA two weeks ago, Capt continuously used power drift so that we could use light 8 - 10 oz jigs.
It is not secret you get more hit when you use light jigs.

Dear Kilsong

İn Turkey you are the best known angler.

Many friends of mine admires your catches,besides yours knowledge about jigging and popping.

Will you please explain power drifting again in simple.

My poor English may not be enough to understand briefly.

İf you like I am ready to send some of our latest pics.

Besides,I want to know whether you can send some heavy jigs for deep and current waters.

and please paying conditions.

Regards.

#8 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

Wow, I didn't know fishermen in Turkey know me.
My son traveled Turkey and he recommend me to visit there. I have more incentive to visit Turkey as I can fish there. :)

Power Drift is simple. The idea is to maintain the boat so that jigs are right under the boat.
Let the boat faces current and run forward, put the gear in neutral and run forward.........
You can not do it if there are many fishermen on the boat because of tangles.

How heavy jigs are you using ?

#9 Vedat Abayoglu

Vedat Abayoglu
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

Wow, I didn't know fishermen in Turkey know me.
My son traveled Turkey and he recommend me to visit there. I have more incentive to visit Turkey as I can fish there. :)

Power Drift is simple. The idea is to maintain the boat so that jigs are right under the boat.
Let the boat faces current and run forward, put the gear in neutral and run forward.........
You can not do it if there are many fishermen on the boat because of tangles.

How heavy jigs are you using ?

Dear Kilsong

Jigging past is about few years in Turkey.

But please note that we Turks are ready to learn every detail and eager to obtain much effective jigs and tackle.

It would be a dream fishing trip for us, if you come here and fish together.

I understood power drifting.İt's a good techinque we have already using.

I am living at Assos well known touristic and historical place at seaside.

My little boat is anchored at there.

For close waters I use mine.But for open water we use my close friend Sinan's boat.I have another partner Muharrem.We go fishing together.Both my partners and close other friends know well about you.

I am a well known angler whole in Turkey.
You may remember me from 360 Tuna forum.

We go open water fishing from Kabatepe port which takes one and half hour from my place and 4 hours from İstanbul where my partners live.
When the weather suitable we use to go fishing almost every week and spent few days there.

At Kabatepe there are so many wrecks.Every one is recorded in our GPS.

İt is easy for us to catch them at there.But our aim is to reach deeper wrecks about 100 meters deep.Where the current is strong.

Our jigs are mostly 200 to 325 grms.We want to obtain much heavier ones may be 500 grms or more.

Nowadays we start to use little silicone octopuses covering our hooks and start to get brilliant results.

I can send many pictures of our latest catches.

Regards

#10 chrisw

chrisw
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:44 AM

Hi Vedat,

for such fast currents you must reduce the drag effect on the braid, jig design etc. Choose bottom weighted jigs, since you already use Jigging Master, the JM Rocket jig is the fastest sinking jig I know. It will dive quickly with minimal effect from current. You should choose a jig 400-500g. I know you said that finding such heavy jig designs is difficult but we distribute many jigs from one of the best jig manufacturers.

I apologise to Kil if it looks like I am stealing a sale, but look at my website to see the types of fast sinking jigs we use in New Zealand where we often jig in 180m also in fast currrents or fast drift - www.jigsdirect.com
Look for Zest Super Deep, Deep Slim, JM Rocket jigs.

Another way is to reduce the size of the braid you use without breaking off on a big fish. Lighter leaders, shorter leaders, anything to reduce the drag in the water. Make sure that the silicon octopus skirts are not too big because they can cause unwanted drag and they also effect the design performance of that expensive jig.

Edited by chrisw, 30 December 2011 - 05:46 AM.

#11 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

ChrisW gave a great advice.
When we fished Three Kings Islands, NZ arranged by ChrisW, we bought heavy jigs from him.
He has been fishing with heavy jigs for years and he knows better than anyone to fish deep.
Don't worry Chris. This site is to help members each other. If you have good products to recommend, it is good for other fishermen.

Vedat,

I have to find time to visit Turkey. :)
Please show pictures of your catches there. It is very interesting to know what kinds of species you catch there. I am known as tuna jig fisherman, but I am addicted to bottom fishing too.

#12 Vedat Abayoglu

Vedat Abayoglu
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:30 AM

ChrisW gave a great advice.
When we fished Three Kings Islands, NZ arranged by ChrisW, we bought heavy jigs from him.
He has been fishing with heavy jigs for years and he knows better than anyone to fish deep.
Don't worry Chris. This site is to help members each other. If you have good products to recommend, it is good for other fishermen.

Vedat,

I have to find time to visit Turkey. :)
Please show pictures of your catches there. It is very interesting to know what kinds of species you catch there. I am known as tuna jig fisherman, but I am addicted to bottom fishing too.

First I like to start my message saying Happy New year.

Turkey has four different Seas.

Black sea,Marmara Sea,Aegean sea and Mediterrean Sea.

Marmara Sea is covered by our main lands.

The other ones are shared with our neighbours.

Unfortunately fishing morality in Turkey is worst.Though there are some rules,nobody seems to obey.Control and otocontrol is weak.
But we are lucky.Why? the considered seas yields so many species of fish.Our neighbours seems to protect,migration of fish shoals is heavy.They have to pass through Bosphoruses and connect those seas together.

Shortly our neighbours are helping and saving their reproduction,they born grow up then to migrate to Aegean and Mediterrean Sea from Black sea.

We just catch them.İn my opinion this is a selfish beheviour.

Many bays are covered with fishing farms.İn there Sea Basses,gilthead breams,Dentexes,Tunas,other kinds of breams are growing up.
İn bad weather,many of them get ruined and big amount uf those fishes escapes.

North Eagean sea have so many wrecks around which are sink down at first world war.

So many valuable species are eager to migrate and hide in them.
There fishing is not so easy.Only vertical jigging works and many of fisherman both professionals and amateours still dont know much about this style.

Here are some pics of our catches.
Sinan with his catch
Posted Image

Myself

Posted Image

Posted Image

a good snapper cought by myself from my own boat

Posted Image

One of mine best dentex in hands of my youngest partner Ferhat

Posted Image

Will be continued later

#13 Vedat Abayoglu

Vedat Abayoglu
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

Hi Vedat,

for such fast currents you must reduce the drag effect on the braid, jig design etc. Choose bottom weighted jigs, since you already use Jigging Master, the JM Rocket jig is the fastest sinking jig I know. It will dive quickly with minimal effect from current. You should choose a jig 400-500g. I know you said that finding such heavy jig designs is difficult but we distribute many jigs from one of the best jig manufacturers.

I apologise to Kil if it looks like I am stealing a sale, but look at my website to see the types of fast sinking jigs we use in New Zealand where we often jig in 180m also in fast currrents or fast drift - www.jigsdirect.com
Look for Zest Super Deep, Deep Slim, JM Rocket jigs.

Another way is to reduce the size of the braid you use without breaking off on a big fish. Lighter leaders, shorter leaders, anything to reduce the drag in the water. Make sure that the silicon octopus skirts are not too big because they can cause unwanted drag and they also effect the design performance of that expensive jig.

Dear Chrisw

Thanks a lot for your detailed message.
I read all details and examine all of the deep running jigs.
I prefer thinest braid as possible,enabling my jig dive fast,stay vertical angle.
I have start to use Decoy Eggs clips which are able to hold heavy weights and attached a little swivel it is also strong one,at the narrow end of the clip.Both ends of the swivel is not circle but in triangle shape end narrow.
So tangles of hokks dicreases to swivel.

İt is enabling me to change jigs fast.

Also the action of flat and wide jigs, as turning round increases and they attrack curious fish around.
Obviously the sinking speed gets low but I prefer to use such ones at calm sea and shallow waters.
Using silicone octopuses seems attractive,

But in deep and heavy current waters I realize to use some other types of jigs.

Prices of those jigs are not shown at us.dollars.So I could not understand their real price.

I think you can send them from your country to Turkey against Credit cards.

Do you have also other types of JM jigs,such us blade swimmer or more.

Awaiting your answer.

Regards.

#14 chrisw

chrisw
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:44 AM

Hi Vedat,

the prices shown are in NZ$. NZ$1 = US$0.77 approx.

Yes I also have the JM bladeswimmer jigs. They are more a flat sided jig so has more flutter and slower sinking than JM Alien or JM Rocket.
If you would like to continue this discussion in private, please email me at - chris@jigsdirect.com.

regards,
Chris

#15 Blueskys4ever

Blueskys4ever
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:10 AM

On the Japanese island of Okinawa, the locals use a lead weighted stainless steel wire to pull soft baits down deep. The Technic is mainly used for Yellow Fin Tuna, but other species are caught from time to time. There is also a wire that you can hook your favorite jig to. No hook is attached to your jig. The main hook is trailed behind the rig on fluorocarbon.

This method seems to work all the time with the exception of Marlin in the area. The Tuna are more interested in self preservation at this point.
All fishing and less wishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users