Photo

What is an alternative to Stella/Saltiga ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

Most serious GT/Tuna fishermen own Stella or Saltiga spinning reels ?
What is an alternative to those reels for targeting big GT or tuna /
Accurate SR series, Penn TQR, Van Staal Zeebass ? Or OEM reels from China ?
It is my understanding that JM and Ocean Mark Studio are developing/considering to make high-end spinning reels.

size comparison of VS250(27.4 oz), ZX27(21.9 oz), Stella 10000(23.6oz) and 20000(30.3 oz) (from the right)
Posted Image

I tested new Saltiga 6500H on my last 4 days trip out of PV and I am going to test Penn TRQ spinning reel for big yft on upcoming 8 days Sororro Island trip out of PV.

#2 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

Hi Kil,

Have you ever tried to push the envelope on a much lower priced products such as a Daiwa Saltist 6500 or Shimano 18000 Saragosa?? Just curious if anyone knows how these would hold up under sustained periods of stress induced by larger fish. I never pay attention to how much drag a reel can put out rather I need to know how well they hold up should the reels actually encounter long periods of high drag pressure on fish capable of pulling out line against the manufacturers claimed higher end drag ratings.

Jamie

#3 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

I caught a 68 incher on a saragosa 18k, but they have failed on big mean fish. I wouldn't be afraid to use one though, but it wouldn't be my go-to by choice.

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

Jamie,
I tried to find a decent reel which is capable of 30 - 40 plus drag for big tuna for under $300. But I still can not find them.
I recommended Saragosa to those who can not afford to buy Stella or Soltiga.
But the reel is upto 150 lb tuna using max drag of 20 lb.
Capt Dom in Cape Cod had 5- 6 Saragosa for big bluefin on his charter boat and all of them gave problems after one season.

When I asked one Shimano salesman why the drag space of Saragosa is so small and he replied with a smile that " then, who is going to buy Stella if the drag is the same ". :)

I have a feeling that decent reels with cheap price will come from China with different OEM names.

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

Accurate spinning reels don't have good reputation, especially SR30.
But I used SR20 for two years without any issue. If any reel survive two years in my hands, they are very durable. :)

I don't know what is the max drag of SR20. My SR20 give abour 25 lb max drag.
The handle is not as smooth as Stella, but it is relatively smooth. The drag is superb. It is not a reel for 200 lb tuna, but I landed tuna close to 200 lbs with the reel using 60 lb Jerry Brown Hollow. I can put about 280 yards of 60# JB Hollow.

Here are action of SR20 filled with 60 lbs Jerry Brown Hollow.

fighting a yellowfin in Panama.
Posted Image

nice 80 plus lb GT in Fiji
Posted Image

fighting a big bluefin estimated at 300 plus lb in Cape Cod with SR20 and 8' BH Cape Cod Special G. We lost the fish after long fight.
Posted Image

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

Zeebass ZX27

I tested Zeebass ZX 27 bailess reel in 2008.
At that time bluefin were about 100 - 120 lbs range in Cape Cod.
I landed several tuna with the reel until the reel gave grounding noice inside the reel ( it looked bearing were crushed). I reported the problem to Rob, chief engineer and one of the owners. Rob left the company since. I talked with Ron who is a technician. He said there was no change of the reels. So I assume the reel is not good for 25 lbs drag which I used. I am going to meet Ron and discuss about the possibility of upgrading the reels for big tuna. I like the reel because it is very light (21.9 oz) and gives more line capacity for its size. The drag was excellent.

video of fighting 100 - 110 lb bluefin with ZX27.
I don't recommend bailess spinning reels for jigging. The bailess ZX27 hit my head three times while jigging on a single trip because the line came off while jigging.

#7 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

Van Staal VS275

Whenever I try this reel, the stiff handle turned me off.
The reel is designed for surf fishing and the handle has to be stiff because of water sealing. However when I compared with similar purpose reel like Zeebass ZX27, it is much stiffer than ZX27.

Here is a review from other site.

"The only thing I liked about the reel was the sound of the drag clicker. After back to back BFT, it seems like I was fighting the fish and the reel. I know people say that it should get smoother after continuos use but I'm not that patient. The next issue is the tiny knob that you're suppose to grab on too while fight a fat tuna. I guess it would be fine if hobbits were using the reel. The last and most annoying thing is how the line is laid on the spool. You get this funky uneven hourglass shape that prevents you from adding that extra 50 to 70yds. of line."

However, if you don't mind stiffness of handle, it looks the reel is a decent reel even for big bluefin as Capt Dom equips the reels for his charter boat in Cape Cod and has caught many big bluefin with the reels.

And a friend of mine just love the reel for bluefin popping.

Some complain about the small knob of the reel. There are custom knob for the reel as shown in the picture. But you need some modification to fit the knot to big van Staal reels like VS275. We are going to develop custom knob for Van Staal without modification next season.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

To be honest I dont like the reel. I've used it while fighting someone else's tuna and it was difficult to reel and also the handle was terrible. While trying to turn the reel with the original handle, it would dig into your hand for each crank. Personally it wouldn't be that bad if it was only the handle asI could get over it but include that with the fact its so hard to turn, it doesn't make me want to use the reel.

It's pretty and water proof/resistant right?

#9 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

As far as Im concerned there is no alternative for a stella I have caught a 380lb bluefin on one and used 36# of drag for almost an hour and then took it to panama and caught numerous yellowfin up to 65lbs and then went back to panama 4 months later and caught a 152lb yellowfin and numerous other smaller ones without one problem. They are well worth the money in my eyes.

#10 johndtuttle

johndtuttle
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:48 PM

Recent posts of Alan Hawk and others at Stripers Online have had glowing reviews of Penn Torque. But I still know of no one using them on BIG fish. hoping to hear of someone soon.

#11 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

Recent posts of Alan Hawk and others at Stripers Online have had glowing reviews of Penn Torque. But I still know of no one using them on BIG fish. hoping to hear of someone soon.

Yes. I read it. However, Penn changed the course when they developed the reel.
Originally Penn was developing Penn TQT spinning reel for jigging and popping fishermen in mind to compete Stella/Saltiga/Accurate, but they changed its course for surf fishermen to compete Van Staal/Zeebass reels. When I checked the reel, handle is much smoother than Van Staal or Zee Bass.
I am going to test the reel upcoming Socorro trip out of PV. It will be a good test for the reel as there are many 100 - 200 lb yellowfin there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users