8'6" BH Cape Cod Special Popping Rod

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:59 PM

We got some interest of 8'6" Black Hole Cape Cod popping rod/blank from overseas recently.
the rod is designed for cast further while targeting big fish like tuna or GT as the Nano carbon rod has excellent power.
The action of the rod is a little softer than graphite rod.
We tested the rod for GT in Fiji in 2010.
Here are some pictures of the rod action and catches.

I landed 80 plus lb GT with the 8'6" BH rod. (my face is blurred because camera lenz was stained)
Posted Image

Yong fought a nice 60 - 70 GT with the 8'6" BH rod. See the action of the rod.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The rod is capable of big tuna or GT.
It is specially good when you need longer cast.
Recently, 80 lb GT was caught from the shore using the 8'6" BH Cape Cod Special popping rod in Big Island, Hawaii.

#2 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:10 AM

Hi Kil,

How does it compare to the 8 foot graphite Black hole? I will need another popping rod for my early January trip and of course it will be another Black hole. As of now I want another 8 foot graphite unless you are making a 1 piece model.
I LOVEEE the first one I have for big Yellowfin.

Jamie

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

Hi Kil,

How does it compare to the 8 foot graphite Black hole? I will need another popping rod for my early January trip and of course it will be another Black hole. As of now I want another 8 foot graphite unless you are making a 1 piece model.
I LOVEEE the first one I have for big Yellowfin.

Jamie

Jamie,
The advantage of 8'6" rod is when you need to cast farther. I'd rather use 8' Black Hole Nano carbon rod on the long range boat than 8'6" rod because you don' have to cast long.
8' BH Nono rod gives softer feeling than 8' BH Graphite rod you have.
While using the 8' Black Hole Nano rod on the Maximus out of PV, I felt the 8' BH Nano rod is good unto 150 lb yet as most yet in Mexican water fight up and down.
2nd and 3rd generation of Black Hole Cow Soecial should be an excellent choice for cow popping unto 300 lb.

#4 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

Hi Kil,

I am trying to decide on another 8 foot graphite or the Black hole Cow Special which is only 7 feet long. With the Braid extra long Spinner straps how do you think the 8 footer will hold up to big tuna and an 18,000 SW?? Which would you choose knowing I have at least one 8 foot graphite? And finally, how do you think the Cow special will cast 60 - 120 gram poppers? Either way I think I need another 8 foot graphite.

Jamie

#5 Maximum Anchorage

Maximum Anchorage
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

Hi Kil,

I am trying to decide on another 8 foot graphite or the Black hole Cow Special which is only 7 feet long. With the Braid extra long Spinner straps how do you think the 8 footer will hold up to big tuna and an 18,000 SW?? Which would you choose knowing I have at least one 8 foot graphite? And finally, how do you think the Cow special will cast 60 - 120 gram poppers? Either way I think I need another 8 foot graphite.

Jamie

Jamie,

Get a 2nd gen cow special. The casting distance is very similar to the 8' graphite which I also have. I built 2 2nd gen cows for guys on the royal star. They love them. Much more forgiving AFTER the hookup than the 8' graphite.

#6 Warren

Warren
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hi Kil
I am looking to purchase the 8 foot black hole or the 8 foot 6 inch special popping rod
Plan on paring it with a Stella 18000
Which rod is better suited for long casting with poppers and stick baits up to 140 grams?
Plan on targeting big GT ( 80 lb plus ) as well as YFT (150 lb plus)
Do most of my fishing on the island of mauritius no black hole dealer here , where would I purchase the rod from ?
Thanks
Warren
warren.saks@ mweb.co.za

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users