Canyon tuna running report in 2011- 2012

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

We had very slow canyon tuna fishing in last a few years.
But yellow fin and long fin tuna show up in Canyon in vengeance this year.
Some party boats even had limit catch of yft on recent trips.

I suggest to post canyon fishing reports here to share info with other members.

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:42 PM

Sea Devil Sep 22-23 report

Very good catch of all yellow fin tuna. It rained through the night; however it stopped just before daybreak. The most action was found between 6 a.m & 8 a.m. with 4 & 5 big tuna on consistently. The yellow fin averaged about 70 pounds, up to 100 pounds. Some of the best fishing we have seen in several years. What are you waiting for?

#3 joleary

joleary
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:06 PM

Thinking of making a run next Friday. It is a bit difficult with a three week baby at home. We will be leaving from Eastern Long Island. Where were you fishing out of Kilsong?

#4 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:52 AM

Headed out tomorrow on the Big J , will post results on monday night !
Epoxy Huffing

#5 Dimitri

Dimitri
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:45 PM

3 week old baby and you wanna go fishing? either mamas' the best or your headed for that divorce.

Gl on the Jamaica

#6 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

Just got back from the Big J , we started off in the hudson next to the fleet and it was dead till about 3 am when Capt Howard moved the boat a few miles and tied up to a High flyer . We caught allot of mahi right away and then we had an all out insane bite on longfin every body that was jigging hooked up instantly I landed three and lost three in tangles when guys would not walk there fish . My hot jig was pink hooker and the mighty diamond jig .
Epoxy Huffing

#7 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

From Frances Fleet:

TUNA CRUSH ON THE LADY FRANCES WITH CAPT. MIKE AND CAPT. MATT!! COD AND SCUP/SEA BASS DAY FISHING REPORTS FOR SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 25TH 2011

Capt. Mike reported an AWESOME Tuna trip that just returned to the docks. The anglers aboard crushed the Longfin Tuna up to 60lbs with most in the 40 to 55lb range and a very good number of BIG YELLOWFIN with all the Yellows in the 60 to 75lb class with a few approaching 80lbs. Two Swords both in the 100 to 125lb range and one Mako just under 100lbs. Dan King had a phenominal trip getting a full limit of Yellows, 2 Albacore, and his second Sword of the season!! Way to go Dan!! The Albacore were caught all day on troll and then at night on the chunk was a nice mix of Albacore, Yellowfin, and the Swords. Jigging was also very productive so ALL terminal gear was effective on this latest grand slam of a tuna trip! Some pictures of the Tuna trip will be posted courtesy of Roger and a bit later on Capt. Mike as well, above today’s post. Still quite a bit of availability of upcoming Overnight Tuna trips and for the Columbus Day Weekend Long Range outing so if interested call the office to make a reservation or for more booking details.

#8 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

From Viking out of Montauk, NY:

2 Day Tuna Trip posted on Sept 28, 2011

The Viking Star returned yesterday from an excellent 2 day Tuna. The bite turned on strong and we were on them. We started off the trip on Saturday morning by trolling and immediately hooked up with some Albacores. All day we had steady action trolling with Albacore Tunas and Mahi Mahi. The guys who jigged also caught very well. By the end of the day almost everyone aboard had at least one Tuna in the box while others had a couple. That night we anchored up and immediately hooked into a Swordfish and a Mako. Unfortunately both were lost 30ft from the boat. Later on we got a nice Yellowfin Tuna at around 60lbs and another big shot of Albacore. We also lost another big Sword and with a good trip onboard the daylight came and we decided to troll home. The problem was that we couldn't go anywhere because as soon as we put the boat in gear the Albacores climbed on the lures. 2, 3 , 4 on plus fish being jigged. It was like lock and load mayhem, the bite was absolutely incredible and our one ton Tuna box overflowed. The Albies ranged from 30 to 60 lbs and everyone had beautiful bags of Tuna to take home. Larry Carella took the Tuna pool with a 60lb Albacore. Ken Mosher took the edible pool with a Mahi. Young James Schneider Jr caught the Yellowfin but he was onboard to help so was not in the pool. Capt. Steven Jr, Capt. Carl and Mate Steve Ho want to thank James and Zach for their help and everyone onboard for a great trip.

Posted Image

#9 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

Doris Mae out of Barnegat Light, NJ

from a fisherman on the trip.

Doris Mae IV 9/30-10/1
Great trip! Boat limited out on mahi. We then set up for chunking and began picking YFTs and LFTs,often several fish at once. Most of the yellow fin were in the 60-80 lb range and long fin in the30-50 lb range. Two small swords were caught as well as a few skippies. I'm not sure what the finally tuna tally was probably in the 50's. A severe thunder storm struck with high winds,building seas,and drenching rain around midnight. There was one cc near us that was tied up to a high flyer. I hope they were ok.

#10 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

9/29

Tuesday Canyon Report from the Big Jamaica out of Brielle, NJ

The Tuesday canyon trip was a good one. When we arrived at the canyon we fished some pots as we worked offshore looking for tuna and had some very good fishing for Mahi-Mahi up to 17LBS.

We kept that up until we located a school of tuna and we set up a drift. We caught several longfin and some Mahi until we were invaded by a wolfpack! Four bigeye tuna were hooked at the same time. The first one broke off right away, the second one looked to be close to 200LBS and pulled the hook just 10 feet from the surface. The third (a 165LB bigeye) was landed by Ron Hoyt from Middlebury CT. The forth (125LB bigeye) was landed by Ron Taurick from Middlebury CT.

Just before sundown we anchored. Several 50 – 70LB yellowfin were landed shortly after that time. We picked fish during the night until a giant swordfish was hooked. The fish looked to be about 300LBS, was lost but two more were caught a short time later. The largest weighed 125LBS.

Fishing was on and off through the night for the larger yellowfin. After sunrise the longfin began to feed again. High hook caught 4 tuna and a bunch of Mahi-Mahi.

It looks good for our trips this week. There is a large area of tuna on both sides of the Hudson Canyon. We have space available on the 30 hour trips sailing 7AM Tuesday & Thursday and the 21 hour overnight trips sailing 5PM Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

#11 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:06 AM

Had a good trip Fri/Sat on the Big Jamaica. It seemed the bite was like the old days with mixed fish and fair to big sizes of yellowfin from 40-75lbs. I ended up with 2 yft and 2lft, all on bait :notfair: . I jigged for a lonnnng time without success and was forced to switch and stick with the bait. Some caught a couple on jigs but it wasn't lights out like it should have been considering the bite. The bite started early on in the night and lasted until about 8am. It was a pick here and there and turned on up to 8 fish on .

Early on the evening we encountered a horrific squall or storm that was about 6miles long. Rain came right at us and the wind was 50+miles an hr and gnarly. Fortunately the seas didn't get too rough though and after soaking everyone it finally disappeared. Luckily after the storm passed the fish bit even harder!

I had one fish on the jig (PBJ) that got busted off above my connection from being sawed off by another angler or I had a frayed line. The fish that did hit jig slammed it.

I thought that the current was too strong and thats why they weren't hitting the jig as well so I tried heavier larger jigs with no success.

The Jamaica had three successful trips in a row with 40+ caught on their 31hr trip on Thursday, 50+ on our Fri/Sat, and another 40-50 on Sat/Sun.

Get out now while the bite is hot and in local canyons.

#12 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

I also dropped other fish on bait from other anglers, but its part of the game and I had a good time regardless. Only got bit with 16ounces until the morning.

A short sword was released and a approx 150-200lb sword was lost.

#13 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for report and congratulations of your fine catch. It looks like canyon fishing in good old days.
I seldom encountered so strong current in Canyon to require 16 jigs.
It is tough to jig when current is so strong.

Doris Mae has very slow fishing yesterday. They must didn't go where they wanted to go due to weather.

#14 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for report and congratulations of your fine catch. It looks like canyon fishing in good old days.
I seldom encountered so strong current in Canyon to require 16 jigs.
It is tough to jig when current is so strong.

Doris Mae has very slow fishing yesterday. They must didn't go where they wanted to go due to weather.

Yea Kil, I think the capt may have missed the bite as it was mostly day bite yesterday though our trip was mostly night bite.

I expect maybe a couple slow trips and then it should be hot again. Tuna were full of chunks and whole sardines that I threw over from time to time :D

#15 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

Kil, what are your thoughts on the new SS jigs?

Here are my thoughts:

The glow/pink has a good coating and durable. Meanwhile the finish on the other patters, while very reflective, flashy, and a great hardware design (i.e. through wiring is of heavy gauge wire and doesn't bend easily), I feel the finish isn't as great. I found the jigs paint and finish coming apart already, some jigs that haven't even been fished.

Also these jigs and the style of through wiring style is best used for assist hooks off top or bottom. I find it impossible to fish these jigs with treble hooks. I tried different size split rings with the trebles and it helped but I found the jigs fouled so much with treble hooks.

I think if you protect the jigs and fish with assist hooks they are excellent, however the style I like to fish them (with trebles) isn't the greatest method. I even tried jigging slow with trebles and didn't have a problem.

The older style metallic sardine and the style of hardware, while fragile, allows for split rings and trebles. I think it has to do with the shape of the through-wiring.

#16 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

Here are my thoughts:

The glow/pink has a good coating and durable. Meanwhile the finish on the other patters, while very reflective, flashy, and a great hardware design (i.e. through wiring is of heavy gauge wire and doesn't bend easily), I feel the finish isn't as great. I found the jigs paint and finish coming apart already, some jigs that haven't even been fished.

Also these jigs and the style of through wiring style is best used for assist hooks off top or bottom. I find it impossible to fish these jigs with treble hooks. I tried different size split rings with the trebles and it helped but I found the jigs fouled so much with treble hooks.

I think if you protect the jigs and fish with assist hooks they are excellent, however the style I like to fish them (with trebles) isn't the greatest method. I even tried jigging slow with trebles and didn't have a problem.

The older style metallic sardine and the style of hardware, while fragile, allows for split rings and trebles. I think it has to do with the shape of the through-wiring.

Thanks for the feedback.
I didn't have any control over painting job of the jigs as I used an agent in the US.
However I found a good jig manufacturer in China when I visited Beijing International Tackle show. Did you check our flat hammered diamond jig ? They made the jigs. I was impressed with the quality of flat hammered diamond jigs. I am going to send some sample of Super Sardine jigs to them and see how good their painting job is.

How is action of the Super Sardine jigs ? That is the most important.

After I lost several nice bluefin using treble hooks in Cape Cod, I don't use treble hooks for tuna jigging much anymore. Can you test the jig next time with treble hook on the eye side and attach leader line at the bottom of the jig ?

#17 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:24 PM

Canyon tuna fishing has been hot.
It's been long time we enjoy such a fabulous fall tuna fishing in canyons.
I heard Hudson canyon slowed down while Spenser is hot.
It is not common to catch 10 plus yft on jigs on one trip though majority are small in 20 - 40 lb range.

Good bite could continue to Nov as water temp is still good. I had best canyon trips when water temp is in 63 - 65 degree.

#18 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

When I checked Rutger's water temperature charts, there were warmer eddies around Atlantis canyons.
I just read this report from other site.

---------------

Report West Atlantis Sun-Mon(Oct9/10)

We started at the 40 fthm bank NE of the tails and trolled to the edge then along the edge to the notch in West Atlantis. We wolf packed with 4 other boats. Not a touch. Water was as advertised at 75-77 degrees. We set up for the night in the notch in 650' with little .2 break with weeds and bait on the finder. Just after dark we started getting hits on the chunk. Lost first 3 at the boat and then got into a rythm. boated next 6 really nice YFT until the landlord showed up and kicked us off with fish visible in the lights. He was not a friendly fellow and I could understand but to try snag my props with a floating rope was over the top. The weather was too rough to drift and we steamed west. Pondering my options my spotlight picked up an empty flyer in 600'. We set up again and at 330 AM were on fish again. Boated another 6 nice fish and about 40 mahi. Up on the troll toward Montauk we hit anther warmer break in about 450-500' and were hit by two nice bull mahi, and another nice YFT. We later dropped off a 100 lb fish at the transome but really had no more room in the boxes. Handed the spot off to a boat I knew and he boated 2 100+ YFT in about 30 minutes out a 5 hit knockdown. Water was 75 to high of 79-80. Overall a super trip! 13 YFT 60-90 and 40+ mahi with two nice bulls. Took 3 guys to lift the divided up piles of loins! Catch em up

Chuck
Canyon Flyer

#19 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

from Voyager's newsletter

October 13, 2011

It looks like mother nature has finally caught up with us, sidelining us for the next few trips. Over the past week and half we have had good fishing (except for one real clunker) in both the northern and southern canyons. Depending on the area, we have been catching fish in the 25-30 pound range or fish in the 50-75 pound range. We have also had some swords mixed in. Last trip we had the bigger YELLOWFIN, mostly in the 60-75 pound class.

There is good water in the southern canyons and a new body of water moving into the Hudson. According to the longliners, this new body of warm water has very good numbers of YELLOWFIN and LONGFIN in it. I anticipate the water to hit the Hudson by late this week or early next week. This should extend the good tuna fishing well into November.

The fishing has been the best we have seen in the last five years. We still have spots available for the last two weeks in October and for November. You can view our schedule by clicking on our Trip Calendar . If you are interested in any upcoming trips please e-mail .

#20 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:38 AM

Here are my thoughts:

Angelo, I used assist hook at the bottom of 200g Super Sardine jigs in Cape Cod on last Sunday and I didn't have any tangle at all.
It is a matter of confidence. As you know, I was an user of treble hooks for tuna exclusively. But I see the benefit of assist hooks now and I use assist hooks exclusively for tuna. If you want to use assist hooks, use BIG hooks for tuna.

Posted Image

#21 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

Kil, I found most of the fouling was with a treble. I'll use assists on these from now on as you mentioned

#22 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

One customer told me that he used hooks on both end of a jig on the Doris Mae. He had 8 tuna on a hook at the bottom of a jig and 2 on the head of a jig.

Another customer told he had three yft on a popper on the Big Jamaica early in the morning.
I highly suggest to bring a popping rod on a tuna party boat. YOu can not cast overhead on the East Coast party boat, but you still can fast far enough with underhand cast.

#23 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:50 AM

not every trip is excellent.

Here is fishing reports by Doris Mae out of Barnegat Light, NJ.

We had some slow trips early this week because the warm water all pushed off the bank, We fished some warm water that moved into the Southern canyons Saturday and we should be able to follow it for a week or so, there's warm water 150 miles east of here and its moving this way, Our long liners say its loaded with tuna and should be in reach in about a week. Having said that our fishing looks to be pretty sound for the next 2 weeks or so, that's if everything goes as planned!!!!!

Updated 10/10/11

Sundays trip (10-10) we had 55 Yellow Fin and a 60lb Sword.

Saturdays trip(10-09) we had 60 Yellow Fin and a 120lb Sword.

Fridays trip(10-08) we had 1 Yellow Fin and a 289lb Big Eye Tuna

Thursdays trip(10-07) we had 2 Yellow Fin, 7 Long Fins, and 24 Mahi.

Tuesdays(10-05) trip was canceled due to high winds.

Sundays trip(10-03) was slow, we had 2 69lb Yellow Fin, a 50lb Long Fin, and 1 release Sword and a 70lb Sword.

Updated 10/03/11

Saturdays trip we had limits of Mahi (250 fish), three throw back Swords, one keeper Sword (125lbs), 8 Yellow Fin and 5 Long Fin.

Fridays trip we limited out with Mahi (250 fish), three throw back Swords, and 50 tuna. We had a great bite with the yellow fin, they were the biggest tuna so far this year, all 60 to 80lbs with a couple around 90. Even the Long fin were 50 to 65lbs. 43 Yellows and 7 Long Fin.

#24 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

I don't think its been mentioned but definitely something worth bringing up....There were some trips where the tuna were feeding heavily on lancetfish or ribbonfish. The fish were actually being netted and livelined successfully and obviously in this situation jigging worked well.

I've seen just about every bait out there but I think its a little unusual?

Lots of bait out there and hopefully the tuna are heavy and hungry come soon the weather breaks.

#25 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

Before the blow, Spenser Canyon was hot. But we don't see any warmer eddies there anymore.
There is warmer eddies way east.
Many boat will venture out to canyons from tomorrow as wind diminishes finally.
Some of them will find tuna. Let's see which canyons hold lots of tuna now.

Posted Image

#26 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

Incredible fishing last night on the Jamaica. Boat limit, then some. Nothing huge, Wilmington Canyon. Two swords, I had the pleasure of fighting one of them that went airborne.

I'll go into details later but national geographic type stuff. Tuna were zipping through the surface, hitting everything and anything. Feeding on corralled lancetfish.

#27 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

So the fishing was excellent like I previously mentioned. Howard had a slow night on Fri/Sat so he decided to make the run for the warmer water in the Wilmington, over 105 miles from Manasquan. We set up shop and started chunking. Squid were around and some were easy to catch, we noticed lately the tuna haven't been inclined to eat live squid so my buddy used dead squid from his previous trip to hook 4 swordfish. I think there is such an over abundance of live squid that they are more likely to hit the easy meal.

Anyway I helped land one sword that almost jumped into the boat! Around 230am porpoises showed up heavily, we also noticed some jellyfish which to me usually is a bad sign. The porpoises were going nuts, very aggressive and smacking squid and baitfish with there tails splashing water all around.

At this point Howard heard of fish biting nearby and was about to pull anchor. Sure enough he started marking fish heavily under the boat and soon the fish started hitting jigs and bait. More and more fish were getting hooked and soon I had one or two on bait. Jigs were working so I went back to my favorite and started slinging the jig.

The fish were there in force and you would get picked up on the drop and get smacked several times before hooking up. Soon skipjack and yellowfin were competing with porpoises for lancetfish and squid. The tuna were zipping through the slick like nothing I've seen before. After landing a bunch on jigs I tried a popper but couldn't cast far enough with the short jigging rod.

I decided to have fun and tie straight a hook with a sardine and cast the sardine and work it to the boat like a lure. It was an awesome sight to see the fish blowing up and jumping all over the sardines. Since the class of yellowfin were smaller, catching these fish on the spinner made it even more enjoyable and fun.

The yellowfin were so thick I saw one hit a jig being lifted out of the water! I can't remember the tuna staying in the slick so long. The action lasted around 330-530, the hottest of the action anyway.

Gear used:
EVERYTHING WORKED!
Caught with:
JIG N POP SS SARDINE GLOW/PINK
FLAT SIDE HAMMERED DIAMOND JIG
SAW CM220 CATCH A LOT

#28 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

From the Voyager out of Pt Pleasant, NJ

-----------------

October 27, 2011

Our last four tuna trips ranged from poor to excellent. On Friday night we fished an area that had been very productive Tuesday into Wednesday. Unfortunately the fish did not feed the night we were there and the weather made the fishing conditions tough. We ended up with few TUNA, landed some throwback SWORDS and lost some bigger ones.

We tried a different area on Saturday night and the fishing started out pretty slow. We landed a keeper and a throwback SWORD. At about 4:00AM the fish started to school under the boat and the bite started. At first we caught fish for about 20 minutes landing about 15. There was a short lull in the action and then they really started to chew. For the next 2 1/2 hours fish were caught on both bait and jigs. By daylight the entire boat was limited out with YELLOWFIN and we headed home.

Sunday night, with high hopes, we fished the exact same spot. The fishing was however, quite different. We waited for the fish to show up around 4:00AM like the night before but there were no signs under the boat. It was the same at 4:30, 5:00 and 5:30. Finally they started to show at 6:00AM. We caught a handful of fish and lost some others but they just wouldn't bite for us. We read fish under the boat right up until we headed in at 9:15AM but they seemed to have lockjaw. This was same condition many other boats in the fleet experienced that same night.

On our Tuesday 30-hour trip we headed back to the same area again only to find that the water had cooled down quite a bit. Due to the stiff winds and choppy conditions we anchored up early in the afternoon. We lost a WAHOO soon after anchoring and caught a MAHI about and hour later. Not much happened through the afternoon. As the sun started to set the bait showed under the boat and we read a few fish. We picked an odd fish until about 8:00PM and then the pace of bites picked up a bit. By about 2:00AM the fish were biting bait and jigs pretty well. We continued to catch fish until sunrise when we were limited out on YELLOWFIN and headed home. Thankfully the cooler water temperature didn't matter.

There is still good water in reach in the southern canyons and a new body of water has arrived in the Hudson. The fishing is the best we have seen in the last five years and should remain good well into November.

We still have spots available for Sunday night October 30 and for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights November 3, 4, and 5. You can view our entire schedule by clicking on our Trip Calendar . If you are interested in any upcoming trips please e-mail .

#29 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:49 AM

Dennis was on the trip, he had a rough night though but ended up with his limit :thumbsu:

I would love to go Sun/Mon but there's this sucky thing called work.

#30 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

Still good water on the edge of canyons.
In fact, it is one of the the best water temp in Nov I can remember.
Most tuna boats didn't go due to weather last a few days, but they should do well if they can get out. Weather looks decent next a few days.

11-02

Posted Image

#31 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Oct 2, 2012

Canyon tuna fishing is picking up now after slow bites for two weeks.
yft sizes are pretty impressive. We see many yft in 60 - 80 lb range. Longfin start to show up in many different areas in canyons.

#32 TallTony

TallTony
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

What was the last boat you took out tot he canyons? Jamaica or Doris Mae? I went on two Jamaica trips and they were less than 5 fish boated. I am a fan of jigging and while on the Jamaica I saw Howard hook a big eye on your super sardine pink glow, but that was one of two boat fish and only three fish caught totaling 5. I have been on a few trip this year and I am looking for reference to another boat to see what another captain can do. I looked up the Doris Mae and they have a lot of rule and regulations on powerpro. Do you know if they let you use to Jig only? Otherwise I would be jigging with at least a 30 wide because the fish have been in the 150 to 225 ft range.

#33 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

Jamaica, Voyager, Gambler or Doris Mae.

Some trips like last night the Jamaica bail them and the Doris Mae does just ok, like last night

Other nights the Doris does better.

Its fishing

If it was me..

Jamaica..Gambler..Doris Mae

If I want tiles.. add voyager in there

#34 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

The Jamaica and the Doris Mae are my popular boats.
Unfortunately the Miss Barnegat Light, another my favorite, doesn't run this season.

Hot tuna bites doesn't last long longer than one week. That is why tuna party boats had slow days in between until they find new body of tuna.
When I hear tuna bites, I always try to get there next day.:) When I fished the Jamaica two weeks ago. I knew Hudson Canyon was hot and my friends who have boats want to wait a few more days when it was calm. But I knew tuna might move out by that time. So I fished on the Jamaica instead to fish early. It turned out my decision was right. Guys who fished later days had slow bites as tuna moved out the area.

Oct is usually the best time for tuna fishing in canyons when water temp drop to mid 60's.

The Jamaica and the Doris Mae did very well on the last trip. I heard the Jamaica had over 50 tuna.

#35 Sonday Funday

Sonday Funday
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

I heard it was something like 70 fish that the Jamaica had. Good Sign!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users