BFT Running report in Cape Cod 2011-2012

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#51 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

Finally one tuna was caught on a popping rod off Chatham on Capt Josh's boat yesterday.
A boat I know lost one fish on troll and one fish on bait in the same area yesterday.
We searched around south of Martha's Vineyard without success yesterday, but we know now smaller tuna were not far from where we searched.

#52 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:08 PM

Good news is tuna are biting now and bad news is it is only one area.
We had brief hot giant bites on the Stellwagen Bank in mid June, but no report of catching tuna on the bank and normal hot bluefin spot on the backside of Cape Cod from Peaked Hill Bar to south.

Tuna bites usually slow down when water temp goes up by mid/late July and resume by mid Sept when water temp start to drop. But we experienced tuna bites continued during whole summer some years. Tuna bites started late this year and I hope good bites continue throughout the summer.

I plan to fish on Monday.

#53 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

I just arrived at Cape Cod.
They say fishing is slow today. I am not surprised at all because tuna disappear whenever I appear this season. :)
I'll post fishing report tomorrow.

#54 garbageband

garbageband
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

I hope you'll get them! Looking forward to your report. I'll be fishing on Tuesday on my friend's boat.

#55 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

I admit I am a human banana. :)
It has been consistent that tuna disappear whenever I appear and they start to bite when I don't fish.
Fishing was excellent last week, but I couldn't go. When I fished yesterday in perfect condition, tuna didn't bite or tuna left the area just in time.

We had two weeks great fishing in June last year and I expected it happens this year. Yes, it happened. But they bite whenever I didn't fish. :)

While most boats fish normal spots around Cape Cod, I'll make exploratory trips to south of Martha's Vineyard or way east to find new tuna feeding ground during summer until fall run starts.

I fished with three fishermen who never fished tuna before. I hoped they enjoyed fighting tuna, but it didn't happen.
I showed them how to cast, how to work lures, ect. Even they didn't see tuna yesterday, I can feel that they are going to be tuna fishermen in the future.
Thanks Capt Jimmy for running over 100 miles to get some fish for them. They really appreciate it.

#56 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

When I don't fish, tuna bite. Today is not exception.
While I am at my shop, tuna turn on today.:)
I will fish tomorrow and I hope they are still biting

#57 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

I saw at least 35 boats in very small area.
You have to look around as many boat trolled. A few fish were caught on trolling,but it was pretty quiet. We decided to leave the area for fluking.

Bluefin fishing in Cape Cod is not it used to be. Except the small area we fished, bluefin is almost non-existent in whole Cape Cod. This should be in prime time.

We need new influx of bluefin. Otherwise.........

Here is a bluefin report in early July last year.
Last year july's bluefin in Cape Cod was not great by any means, but as you read, bluefin were caught wide area,not like this year.

July 7, 2011 (On the Water)

Bluefin Tuna

From Cape Cod to Cape May, the bluefin bite this week was insane.

The Cape Cod tuna bite blew up as well. From the Southwest Corner of Stellwagen Bank to Peaked Hill, live bait has been the ticket for landing these 75- to 80-inch fish. Set up before slack tide with live pogies, mackerel or small bluefish under kits and balloons.

East of Chatham, where more of the tuna land in the keep-able slot limit, splash bars are doing the trick. The large body of smaller tuna south of Martha’s Vineyard and Block Islands have been receptive to topwaters cast by the run-and-gun crowd.

#58 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

07-17-2012

Good news is we found tuna south of Martha's Vineyard and bad news is we couldn't hook up.
We watched bird working closely, then we saw nice tuna crushing on the surface. Everyone shouted "TUNA !" and rushed to get popping rods. We cast after cast for a while, but we couldn't hook up. That was the only action we saw for two hours. The slack tide was 5:30 and we arrived there about 6:00 am.
Instead of waiting for slack tide in the afternoon, we decided to go seabass jigging off Martha's Vineyard.

Seabass jigging was great as usual. But fluke fishing late in the afternoon was not upto par because of wind against tide. We brought a few seabass and fluke to Peking Palace restaurant in Falmouth, Cape Cod for dinner.
I barely moved after dinner. :)

We are going to explore south of Martha's Vineyard for tuna throughout summer.

#59 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Bluefin bites usually slow down in Summer when water temp goes up, but bite are getting hotter in Cape Cod now. It seems bluefin are everywhere last a few days.
You name it. off Chatham, Peaked Hill Bar, on the Stellwagen Bank and offshore.
It is very encouraging sign as we have inconsistent tuna fishing in Cape Cod this season.

#60 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

Aug. 3
I heard many tuna were caught in several different areas today.
That is good news because fishermen can spread out to find tuna.

#61 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

Bluefin fishing has been steady off Chatham. Tuna are caught inshore as well as offshore.
Some giant have been caught off Stellwagen Bank using bait.
It is encouraging sign that tuna have been caught throughout summer though we they are not biting everyday.

#62 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

Bluefin in Cape Cod was on and off in summer and there are signs bluefin congregate in several different areas in Cape Cod now as water temp start to drop.
It looks we are going to have good fall bluefin season in Cape Cod.
As giant fishing trips in PEI are over and I am going to concentrate on bluefin jigging/popping in Cape Cod from next week.

#63 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Bluefin fishing has been good offshore off Chatham before full moon.
Tuna are located inshore in normal spot like Peaked Hill Bar today and it should get better.
I am going to fish with Capt Jimmy on Fri and Sat.

#64 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

10-05-2012

Good news is bluefin were biting today and bad news is we didn't hook up any tuna.

Capt Jimmy wanted to check the area where bluefin were there in big number in Oct last year.
It was very promising. whales were there, birds were there and bait were there.
Even we knew bites were going on about 7 - 8 miles north of us, we stick to our area as it is so promising.
We didn't see any boat around us.
John had a fish first while jigging. He had a 28 lb drag at strike on JM PE reel and almost half of line got dumped.
He increased drag past strike position. He must used over 35 lb drag, but the fish still took lines.
But the fish turned out to be 300 plus lb blue shark.
We waited until slack tide, but nothing happened. :(
Even we didn't have any tuna today, nobody complained. Instead of joining fleet, we decided to stick to our plan as we saw tons of bait and whales around us and it looked it was just a matter of time when tuna found the area.

Capt Jimmy and myself have many things in common. One of them is we are not afraid to make mistakes and experiment new things, and explore new areas away from the crowd.
OF course we have many days skunked because of it, but it is a part of fishing and we are enjoying it even without fish.

Tomorrow is another adventure day with Capt Jimmy and I hope tuna find us tomorrow.
If not, we'll try again next week. :)

I rarely see so many herring from the bottom to the top in 150 ft water. How can you leave the area to find better area. :) It is good to see herring is coming back.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I could count at least two dozen whales around us
Posted Image

Posted Image
John fighting 300 plus lb blue shark with JM PE reel filled with 80 JB and Black Hole Cape Cod Special 450g spiral jigging rod.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#65 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

We left at 4:30 am but I was surprised many boats were there already and some were fighting tuna.
While most boat had at least one tuna on troll in the morning, we couldn't get any bite until noon.
We drifted among trolling boat. I jigged and John and Elio cast poppers while Capt Jimmy set up two bait rods. We marked tuna occasionally and I expected good jigging bites, but I had only one hit on my jig. I lost the fish because assist cord was cut. I suspect it was a shark.

John had a huge swirl behind Heru Skipjack lure. He got explosion a giant on his lure again 10 minutes later. But, fortunately giant missed hooks. :) if we joined the fleet early in the morning, we definitely had more chances to hook up tuna on poppers as bites were hot in early morning.

It became windy from late morning, but the sea anchor slowed down the drift speed considerably.
While were jigging and popping, Capt Jimmy sent out two baited lines. We had a hit, but we lost a fish because 130 lb Jerry Brown main line got broken. It must be a giant. For some reason, drag didn't work. We knew tuna were there and we made another drift and we heard screaming sound for the baited reel. Fish is on ! We thought it could be a shark by the way the fish reacted initially, but we knew immediately it was big tuna when the fish made a fast long run. Elio fought the fish.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jimmy knew it was a giant and he prepared for a harpoon.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We finally landed a giant. The length was 82 1/2 inches and it probably weighs 320 - 330 lb.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Jimmy for working hard to find fish for us.
Posted Image

Fishing is fun even fishing is slow when you fish with guys who understand fishing and have positive attitude. I always enjoy fishing with Elio and John. I plan to fish canyon on their boat in a few days as canyon yellowfin adn longfin is hot right now.

Posted Image

We know what to do on next trips and I expect hot bites continues at least until the end of Oct.
I can't wait to go up there again.

#66 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:53 AM

10-08

We fished different area from where we fished on Oct 6.
It seems this area holds big giant. 1000 plus lb giant dressed was caught the other day.
One boat using 50SW completely spooled and one other boat's outrigger was destroyed yesterday.
Capt Jimmy brought big guns for giant. It didn't take long the big gun started to sing.
But it didn't look like a tuna though it took lots of line on heavy drag. Though we fought the fish for a while, we couldn't gain any line. Blue shark which are abundant don't fight that hard.
It got to be porbeagle shark. Porbeagle is a cold water shark and is very similar to mako.
After tug of war, shark finally came up to the surface. It is indeed a huge porbeagle estimated at around 400 lb. But fight was done yet. It was a chaos. The harpoon got broken and we had to subdue the monster with a gaff. Jimmy's friend Tom who was fishing nearby came aboard to bring the shark on the boat.

Fred fighting the shark.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As soon as we set up a next drift, one rod got bent. It didn't take line much and we though it was a blue shark, but it turned out to be a small 70 lb bluefin.

Posted Image

see the size comparison of 70 lb tuna and the porbeable shark.
Posted Image

I threw jigs and poppers while drifting, but I was worried a big giant might hit my jig or popper. :)
It was an another wonderful adventure. I plan to go up again to fish tomorrow if weather cooperates.

#67 johndtuttle

johndtuttle
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

Thx for the post Kil.

best

#68 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

I am going back to Cape Cod to fish with Capt Jimmy tomorrow (Sat.).
We are going to target giant this time.

#69 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

10-13 Part I

We usually leave early in the morning, but we left late due to residual waves after blow on Saturday.
we knew big giant out there and we brought heavy reels for giant on this trip. I was a last chance to evaluate and test new Black Hole Giant standup rods before going ahead to have them make BH Giant rods/blanks.

When we got to the destination, it didn't look good because there were only very few boats and we didn't mark anything. However, we decided to fish there because there were no other places to go.

I asked Capt Jimmy to use Black Hole Giant standup rods. It was very grotesque to install Shimano 80W in small graphite reel seat (the rods have small Fuji graphite reel seat because they hurriedly made the rods before I left Korea.)

We had a hookup on bait and we thought we had a tuna until the fish jumped out of water.
It was a nice mako in 250 lb range Mako It jumped at least 10 times before breaking off the leader line.

As there was no much going on, Capt Jimmy moved the boat to deeper water.
On the first drift, we had another hookup and we thought another shark this time as it didn't make any long run. Scott fought the fish. From the start to finish, he just reeled in. When the fish came up to the surface, we realized it was not a shark, but a tuna !! Capt Jimmy shouted " It is not a small tuna. It can be a commercial fish (over 73") !"
When we brought the tuna on the boat, we measured and it was 71".
The first tuna killed decides whether the boat fishs recreationally or commercially if Capt has both permits. As we killed a tuna smaller than 73", we can not fish commercially. But the No Time hasn't landed a trophy tuna over 73" this year, we kept fishing for a trophy bluefin.

Scott fighting a 200 - 210 lb tuna (71") using new Black Hole Giant standup rod with Shimano Tiagra 80W. We thought it was a shark because it didn't take line much. It took only 5 minutes to land the fish.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

we thought it could make 73" mark, but it was two inches short.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#70 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

10-13 Part II

440 - 460 lb giant
Posted Image

After landing 200 - 210 lb bluefin, we continued to drift the same area.
One of bait was crushed by a giant not far from the boat. We continued to watch as it seemed bait was still there. Within one minute a giant crushed the same bait on surface again. This time it was hooked, but unfortunately it pulled the hook. We knew it was a huge giant and we just looked each other in amazement and disappointment.

We knew we wouldn't go anywhere and had to stay here if we want to catch a giant.
Not long, Our moment finally came. The 80W on the Black Hole Giant standup rod was singing and dumped half of the line on the spool. Giant !!
I was very excited and elated at the moment because I finally had a chance to video tape the whole fight and observe the performance of Black Hole Giant rod for a giant.

Scott said the Black Hole Giant rod don't need any modification after he fought a monster for 45 minutes using drag upto 80 lb in P.E.I. But I felt the tip might be a little soft for giant while bending the rod with my hands. I watched closely whole 40 -45 minute fight with 440 - 460 lb giant (91") and I had to agree with Scott's assessment that the rod is good as it is and don't need any modification .
Capt Jimmy also agreed the rod could handle bigger giant with amazement after the catch.

Scott was reeling in and a giant snatched bait and ran. He almost lost the rod. :)
It turned out to be a nice 91" (440 - 460 lb) giant. Fighting time was about 40 - 45 minutes.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

lifting giant out of water
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

picture time !

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

When we got back to the dock, I met a game warden at the packing lot. He asked what we caught.
I told him we had one 71" bluefin and another 91" trophy tuna. He followed me to the boat and check all document and tuna we caught. He was very courteous.

It was another great day with Capt Jimmy the Greek.
I can't wait to go back again. :)

#71 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

Another great day and great memories fishing with Kil. Thanks so much for involving me with JignPop and Black Hole it is such a privilege to be associated with this and get to play with all of the great products that Black Hole puts out. Its a tough job but somebody has to do it.... :thumbsu:

#72 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Scott,
Your 450 lb giant could be the biggest giant caught on standup in MA.
I know a few bigger giant caught on standup in NJ, but I haven't heard anyone caught bigger giant than your catch in MA as all giant fishermen there use fighting chair or fight using the rod holder.

#73 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

10-17

It's been long tuna responded to jigs. We finally hooked up three tuna on 250g Super Sardine jigs, but lost all of them. I had two on jigs. I lost first one because tuna pulled the hook while fighting and the 100 lb Yozuri FC leader got broken while tuna made head shakes even I had about 22 - 23 lb drag.
Choi hooked up a nice tuna on the same Super Sardine jig, but unfortunately the line was cut while the line crossed with other line which had tuna too.

birds sitting on my jigging rod.
Posted Image

Posted Image

There were many mako and blue sharks.
I fought a nice 250 lb - 300 lb mako. I brought the make to the boat a few times, we were not in the mood to kill the mako. Capt Jimmy held the leader line tight and broke the leader. The mako fought hard.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We lost a couple of nice tuna which looked giant and sharks kept us busy all day.
We thought we were going to get skunked this time as time was running out.
When Jimmy told us it is time to go and I told him ten more minutes because other boats nearby started to catch tuna and I didn't want my friend Choi and Park to go home without tuna as their friends were waiting for tuna. :)
Surely we had double hookiups within the ten minutes. Choi had one on a jig first and a baited reel started to scream almost at the same time. When the lines were crossed, Choi's line got cut.
Choi fought the tuna. It was not a giant, but 100 - 110 lb bluefin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

On the way home, Choi and Park got lots of call from their friends for tuna.
Choi will cut the fish today and asked me to come down to Edison for sashimi/sushi party.

It was very frustrating day not to land a tuna for various reasons, but everyone was happy at the end.
Thanks Capt Jimmy for extra effort and for giving extra time to land a tuna for our group.
It was almost 8:00 pm when we got to the dock.

#74 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

We have decent weather from Tues to Thurs (Oct 23 - 25)thougj weather pattern changes whenever I read it.

Small bluefin are around Picked Hill Bar area outside of Cape Cod, but they are in 50 lb - 100 lb range.
We are going for big boys 40 - 50 miles offshore. Those big tuna are caught by trolling or bait fishing while drifting. I asked Capt Jimmy not to bring any trolling gear on my trip. So it will be drift fishing. While Capt Jimmy does his job to set up bait fishing rods, we cast poppers or drop jigs.
Frankly, I am afraid to cast poppers with hooks because many of those tuna are true giant over 400 lb.

#75 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

Tomorrow's trip is canceled due to weather.
My friend Jin is going to arrive tomorrow to fish bluefin in Cape Cod a few days.
Weather looks good on Wed and Thurs.
We got a report that tuna were located 10 miles closer.

#76 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

We are going to fish Wed and Thurs. We might fish on Fri too if condition is right.
I am going to pick up my friend Jin from JFK airport at 9:00 pm and drive directly to Cape Cod. I am going to test 450g Black Hole two-piece jigging rods for big bluefin on this trip.

#77 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

JIGGING TIME !!

We had 4 solid hookups and three - four missed hit on jigs today.
Among 4 solid hit we brought three in 50 - 90 lb range to the boat and one big tuna estimated over 200 lb was lost after seeing color. All fish were caught on 250g Super Sardine jigs.

Choi was hot again like last trip by hooking up the first bluefin on jig.
He used 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special/JM PE reel along with 250 Super Sardine jig.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Right after landing Choi's 56" fish, Park hooked up a tuna with same 250g Super Sardine jig along with 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special and JM PE reel.
It didn't take long to bring the tuna to the boat as it is smaller tuna.
We decided to keep the fish as it is 45".

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jin came from Korea just for two days fishing in Cape Cod. Finally he had a chance to fight a bluefin on a jig as his jig was swallowed by a tuna. It took also 250g Super Sardine jig.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It was released because we got limit already.

Posted Image

#78 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

Jin and I arrived at Choi's from Cape Cod in the afternoon today.
Choi cut the tuna for Jin who brings tuna to Korea for sashimi party with his family and friends in Korea.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After packing tuna in a cooler with dry ice, we headed back to Cape Cod.

Jin was going to leave for Korea tonight, but he cancel the flight and wanted to fish one more day tomorrow. So we headed back to Cape Cod and we just arrived a Sheraton hotel at Warwick, RI and drive to Cape Cod tomorrow morning. This is going to be my last tuna fishing in Cape Cod this year.

#79 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

10-25

I wanted to test Black Hole Magic Eye 804S popping rod, but I didn't have any opportunity.
So I used the popping rod for bait fishing this time to test the rod.
Unlike previous trips, we didn't mark much bait and tuna today. And I got what I wanted after drifting for a while. Stella 20000SW started to sing and the Magic Eye got bent.
Jin fought the fish and I observed the action of the rod while taking lots of pictures.
The inshore rod was amazing. The rod is rated to 40 lb line, but the reel has 80 lb Jerry Brown Hollow and drag was pretty tight. The rod is not designed for tuna. However Scott used this rod successfully for yft in 50 - 70 lb tuna on a recent trip to Panama and I wanted to see the action of the rod for tuna with my own eyes.

The tuna turned out to be 110 - 120 lb (58"). It is too big for the rod, but the Magic Eye did a splendid job this time.
Today was my last day for tuna fishing in Cape Cod this year.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#80 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

Time flies very fast. It seems the season ended as soon as started.
I had so many frustrated trips in the beginning, but it ended great.
One good trip can forget all frustrated trips. :)
Thanks Capt Jimmy and all other fishermen who fished with me for fabulous time spent together this year.
Someone asked why I like fishing so much. But I couldn't answer because I never thought about it. Thanks guys for reading my reports in Cape Cod.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image