Partyboat Tilefish Jigging

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

As most already know Tilefish are a deepwater fish that live in depths of 400 - 900 + feet . Jigging for these fish is allot of fun but requires a good amount of work ,so having the right equipment is important .
Reels must hold 500 +yards of 65 # spectra + 30 Ft of 80 # topshot , My favorite reel for this type of fishing is a Ocea jigger 5000p ,and my second choice is JM PE7 or 8 . For rods I like them to be 8ft in length and must be able to cast jigs over 30 Ounces . MY favorite is a Lamiglas CGBT 96 1H and my second choice is a ST Croix PM 79XXXHF .

For jigs I like to carry an assortment from 16 -32 ounce ,rigged with a treble in the rear and an assist up top . A teaser off a dropper loop is also a good way to increase your hook up ratio .If you happen to be fishing sticky bottom I loose the treble and just use a assist up top . We recently discovered large oversized buck tails to be excellent producers , we rig them with a teaser about 16 inches above the buck tail . It's basically a over sized fluke rig .
The Jigs I like to use must sink fast , cast well and have some glow to them .Some good choices are Sea Rock, OTI Jager ,OTI Jumbo,Lav,Norwegian and the Mighty Diamond Jig .What ever you use it must be heavy enough to maintain contact with the bottom .

The jigging method used requires the jig to be cast in the direction of the drift and once it hits bottom you lift and drop just like cod jigging ,if the fish are home and bitting hook ups are usually instant . Once you hook up and have the fish off the bottom you want to reel nice and steady , too fast will result in lost fish . It also very important to stay in contact with your jig at all times and watch your line to avoid tangles .

The top three boats for tilefish are the Viking fleet, Voyager and Atlantic Star .

Some of the fish species you may encounter are Golden Tile , Wreackfish ,Cod,Hake,Cusp,Pollack ,Barrelfish, Monkfish ,Snowy grouper and if your lucky Bluefin tuna or Yellowfin Tuna

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Epoxy Huffing

#2 Jumbo

Jumbo
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

what are some of the partyboats you have jigged on for tile fish.I have jigged on the Atlantic Star, Voyager and have a 4 day trip on the viking june 24th in which i will be jigging.

#3 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

I have fished on all those boats but the Viking is the boat I do jigging on . Im on a 4 day that leaves on the 19th and the 5 day that sails on the 27th . Capt Steven is the best at this type of fishing and the star ship is the best boat for drifting in the deep.

Good luck on your trip and be sure to post a report with pics .
Epoxy Huffing

#4 Jumbo

Jumbo
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

thank you and good luck to you

#5 Jumbo

Jumbo
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

my friend Dennis will be on the kaminsky charter with you. he is the current world record holder @63+ but he is a bait fisherman. i am fishing with him on the voyager 2 day trip next week. i'll be jigging weather permitting.

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:43 PM

what are some of the partyboats you have jigged on for tile fish.I have jigged on the Atlantic Star, Voyager and have a 4 day trip on the viking june 24th in which i will be jigging.

The Atlantic Star, the Voyager and the Viking are three major party boat for deep drop in NJ/NY area and they are all good. However, if you want to target trophy tile, the Viking is the best choice because they travel far and cover more ground.

Tile like glow things. You got to use glow teasers for bait or jigs. Some even use glow jigs only. Jigsrigsandstuff.com sells big glow diamond jigs which are excellent for tile.

Posted Image

#7 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:50 PM

my friend Dennis will be on the kaminsky charter with you. he is the current world record holder @63+ but he is a bait fisherman. i am fishing with him on the voyager 2 day trip next week. i'll be jigging weather permitting.

Dennis is an excellent tuna jig fisherman. If he thinks jigs works as well, he will use jigs.
I caught some tile on jigs, but I thought jigs don't work as good as bait.
One private trip with a tile jig fisherman out of Cape May changed my fixed idea.
He landed 7 tile in 30 - 40 lb only on jigs. I think he was high hook among us.
Like tuna jigging, you have to have confidence in your jigging.
I found teasing with strip of fluke or squid on jig hooks increase bites.

#8 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:08 PM

I know Dennis very well and have fished with him for tile and tuna . He is a very good fisherman and a great person always positive .
Epoxy Huffing

#9 Jumbo

Jumbo
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

Dennis is an excellent tuna jig fisherman. If he thinks jigs works as well, he will use jigs.
I caught some tile on jigs, but I thought jigs don't work as good as bait.
One private trip with a tile jig fisherman out of Cape May changed my fixed idea.
He landed 7 tile in 30 - 40 lb only on jigs. I think he was high hook among us.
Like tuna jigging, you have to have confidence in your jigging.
I found teasing with strip of fluke or squid on jig hooks increase bites.

Yes Kil, that was the first time I met you and it was an honor to fish with you. most days jigs will out perform bait in my opinion. the conditions have to be right but I feel it is a big fish approach. we shall see this year.

#10 garone custom rods

garone custom rods
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

Great information on this thread.

I am going tonight on a Voyager 2 day and plan on putting some time in with the jigs. I will post a report when I get back.

#11 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

Great information on this thread.

I am going tonight on a Voyager 2 day and plan on putting some time in with the jigs. I will post a report when I get back.

Mike, I hope you catch a 50 plus lb tile on the trip.

#12 garone custom rods

garone custom rods
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

Well I hate to say but I had a dissappointing trip. It wasn't for lack of trying and Jeff and crew from the Voyager ran a great trip. We fished areas where they had done well the last 2 trips and did not have the life they had previously. Some spots that produced in weeks prior were completely void of life.

Final tally for me was 4 black belly rose fish (lost a bunch more in tangles) 2 blueline tiles, and 4 golden tiles. I spent some time jigging but conditions were not favorable as for much of the trip we had strong under current. All I caught on the jig was one small snagged blueline tile (aboout a pound) and a large squid (about 24" total length) which attacked the squid teaser on my treble and chewed it up good.

All of my goldens were caught on bait and I dropped one nice fish that took some drag. For some reason the tiles were just not biting right. I did not have a single bite the first day when we were in spots targeting golden tiles. The second day I don't think anyone on the boat had a bite from a golden tile until around 11 am after a few hours of fishing. We did get them chewing pretty good and some nice fish were landed from about 11 am until we left for the barn around 2 or 3.

Some guys did well and I would guess had 12-15 maybe a few more tiles and I know one guy had 3 fish over 20#. The pool fish was around 30# and the largest tile was around 40# which was caught while fishing for rosies.

Species on the trip caught included blue line tiles, rosefish, streamer bass, whiting, golden tiles, monkfish, white hake, and squirel hake.

I will give it hell next time!

Hope everyone stays safe with this hurricane coming up the coast.

Edited by garone custom rods, 25 August 2011 - 04:01 PM.

#13 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

Sorry to hear fishing was not great.
I am wondering why they didn't bite. I don't think they left the area because they live in burrow. A couple of guys I know are going to go for golden tile/blueline tile and snowy grouper on a party boat out of Rudy Inlet, VA soon.

#14 team.Fast Forward

team.Fast Forward
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

The pool fish was around 30# and the largest tile was around 40# which was caught while fishing for rosies.

Garone, What would you do different if you where fishing for Rosies? Not use jigs? I mean most of my rigs are 2-5 hook rigs and half the time I pull them up they are loaded with both goldens and rosies.In shallow water 550ft and less we generally get a lot of Blueline (grey) and goldens,But not many Rosies.most of the Rosies I have had the experience of catching have been in water that is from 600ft-1000ft.Wreckfish(coldwater grouper) and Barrelfish seem to like the deeper water aswell. :)

#15 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

Garone, What would you do different if you where fishing for Rosies? Not use jigs? I mean most of my rigs are 2-5 hook rigs and half the time I pull them up they are loaded with both goldens and rosies.In shallow water 550ft and less we generally get a lot of Blueline (grey) and goldens,But not many Rosies.most of the Rosies I have had the experience of catching have been in water that is from 600ft-1000ft.Wreckfish(coldwater grouper) and Barrelfish seem to like the deeper water aswell. :)

Mike, 2-5 hooks are not many. :)
There were too many blueline tile on our last trip on your boat. I need a 60 lbs golden tile. :)

Posted Image

#16 garone custom rods

garone custom rods
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

I did not jig when we were in the rosie spot. I used a 3 hook rig with tiny glow squids and small strips. I had a double header and 2 singles. The 2 times I got in tangles and lost the fish it felt like I had multiples on. Not only did I loose the fish but lost time because of the tangles. Probably would have doubled or tripled my catch on the rosies but that is part of the game when deep dropping. A few guys who where on recent trips also said the rosie bite was a little slower than normal. Also I found it odd that I think the only tile landed while on the rosies was the big fish I expected a few more on that spot.

#17 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

Note to self: while I love the guys on the Voyager, dont book during a big tournament like the MA500

#18 garone custom rods

garone custom rods
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

Note to self: while I love the guys on the Voyager, dont book during a big tournament like the MA500

Very true Angelo. I didnt realize the tourney was during the same time. We definately were not able to hit one spot because there were lots of boats around.

#19 YFT522

YFT522
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:07 AM

hey kil, what colored squids do tiles prefer the glow in dark white or the glow in dark pink

#20 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:36 AM

hey kil, what colored squids do tiles prefer the glow in dark white or the glow in dark pink

I always observe what works best whenever I go on a party boat and I really don't see any difference between two.

#21 TileHunter

TileHunter
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

what do you think of this? i can't wait to get out and catch those tiles and wreckfish!
Posted Image

#22 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

Thats perfect . I use the sea rock with the same hook set up . If the bottom is sticky I don't use the treble on the rear , just the assist on top . 700 gram is tough to work all day though .
Epoxy Huffing

#23 Datduderoc

Datduderoc
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

What up willie! I was on tha Viking when u caught tha bluefin n lost tha other one when ur reel blew up! Lol! Where did u get those glow diamond jigs from???

#24 Eandersen

Eandersen
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

roc a bye... jigsrigsnstuff.com

#25 garone custom rods

garone custom rods
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

Mike, I hope you catch a 50 plus lb tile on the trip.

Well its about a year later and not quite a 50# but a 42# isnt bad on the jig, especially when you catch a 50+# snowy on the same trip.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by garone custom rods, 23 September 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#26 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:51 AM

Very nice fish Mike !!!!

#27 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

Mike is a fishing machine ! Nice job on those ...

Epoxy Huffing

#28 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

It is time to revive this thread.

#29 redneck_billcollector

redneck_billcollector
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Great.....I am on The Yankee Capt. on a three day Pulley Ridge deep jigging trip in July......I am desperately looking for the right rod.  I saw in another thread of yours that you were using the Black Hole Silk rod for deep jigging.....I went to order one and first off, you don't have them yet, the second off, the specs did not look right....I have been looking high and low for an Ocea Jigger 5000, but alas have not found one.  I was thinking about the Saltiga SALD 50 2S, hit holds the line, and has a torquey low gear and a really fast high gear........Please some advice would be greatly appreciated.

#30 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

The deep drop rods are coming this week.

There are a few choices, but I can recommend two rods.

One is 7' Black Hole Silk  and the other is 8' Black Hole Hurricane Monster rod. Both are rated to PE8.

Some like 7' BH Silk rod and some like Hurricane Monster rod after testing for deep drop.

I personally like 7' BH Silk Rod. The weight is only just over 8 oz.   Many use GLoomis Pelagic rods for deep drop for light weight, but it weighs 18.8 oz.

I am going to make the fore grip a little longer in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users