• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

• Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:45 AM

September 15, 2011

report from Capt Jeff

Our final 2-DAY TILEFISH trip was one of the best of the year. We had a great bunch of guys on the trip which always makes things fun and we were treated to the best back to back weather days we've had all season . We also had more great food brought aboard than any trip I've ever been on, something that is always very much appreciated by the crew. Thanks guys!

This trip was really highlighted by variety as much as anything else. We caught 10 different species of fish on the trip! We had TILEFISH, WRECKFISH, ROSEFISH, WHITE HAKE, STREAMER BASS, SILVER EEL, BAR JACKS, MAHI-MAHI, YELLOWFIN TUNA, and SWORDFISH.

Henry Buddle of Lindenwold, NJ had an extraordinary trip for his first TILE trip. Henry caught TILEFISH, WRECKFISH, ROSEFISH, MAHI-MAHI, YELLOWFIN TUNA, and SWORDFISH. He even hooked and fought a very acrobatic WHITE MARLIN which broke off after about 10 minutes. The largest TILEFISH of the trip was caught by Mike Schmidt of Brooklyn, NY and weighed in at 37 pounds. Not to be outdone by his father, Alex Schmidt caught a 150 pound swordfish later in the trip. Unfortunately Mike was not in the pool with his TILE. The pool winning TILE was caught by Lou Dello of Asbury Park, NJ and weighed 31 pounds. Lou also won the pool for largest "other" edible bottom fish with a 28 pound wreckfish. Barry Young of Wall, NJ had a limit of YELLOWFIN as well as a bunch of large MAHI, ROSEFISH and some TILES to 20 pounds.

Once again I would really like to thank all of the guys that have sailed with us on the 2-day trips this year. I think you guys made these trips some of the best we've ever had. I'm already working on next year's TILE schedule and am planning some trips with a few different twists. Keep an eye out as I, hopefully, will be posting the 2012 TILE schedule within a month.

As you can tell by the report above, we did some tuna chunking on the TILE trip. We read fish well at times and had a few shots during the night. We probably would have caught more but fighting the two large SWORDS took up a lot of prime fishing time. It is pretty common that you don't get tuna bites when fighting SWORDS or even when fighting large TUNA such as BIG EYES or ALLISONS. It was also good to see TUNA biting on the full moon which sometimes slows down the bite.

Good TUNA catches were made in almost all canyons that same night and I expect fishing to remain good. There is beautiful water in our canyons and this is the best start we have had in quite a few years. If you are looking to cash in on some tuna action now is the time. We still have plenty of availability on trips in September and October. You can view our schedule by clicking on our Trip Calendar . If you are interested in any upcoming trips please e-mail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users