Penn Torque Spinning Reel

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

I haven't tested the reel. So I can not give any opinion for the reel.
Instead, I'd like to post review of the reel by Alan Hawk.

http://www.striperso...g-the-review/30

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

I couldn't test the reel for big bluefin in NC because bluefin vacated the area when I fished out of Hatteras, NC on Monday.
However, I jigged for several hours with Penn TQR S9 spinning reel.
The stiffness of turning handle bothered me a lot even the Penn reel is much smoother than Van Staal.

I was thinking about making suggestion to Penn to get rid of sealing because we don't need water proof reel for jigging and popping on boats.
Coincidentally, Penn contacted me and explained that there are 7 sealing in the reel and the sealing on rotar makes it stiff and they ask me to send my reel to Penn to get rid of sealing on the rotar.

I gave my prototype two-piece Black Hole Cape Cod Special jigging rod and Penn TQR S9 spinning reel to Scott who is driving down to NC today to fish bluefin on Fri and Sat and I asked him to visit Penn in Philadelphia to check my Penn reel on the way down to NC.
Scott is going to test the reel for two days. Scott loves to give lots of pressure using heavy drag. He landed 89" giant with Stella 2000SW within 55 minutes using 35 lbs drag.
I was going down to NC to test the reel for big bluefin on Sunday, but Capt cancelled the trip because of weather.
I plan to go to NC whenever weather is good enough.

#3 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:44 AM

Actually it's not just the seals. I mentioned in my report that all the bearings in the reel are sealed (not shielded) needlessly, and said that free spinning was improved when I removed the seals of all bearings except the two line roller ones.

Why would you send it to Penn? Get your tools box and rip those rotor seals out! Takes 12 minutes from start to finish :lol: You need to start getting your hands dirty and have sticky old grease stuck under your fingernails for a few days :D

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

Alan,
It takes 12 minutes for you, but it will take forever if I open the reel.:)
IF the reel is proved for big tuna, then I'll ask Penn to get rid of sealing for jig n pop fishermen.

#5 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

Anytime I open a reel it ends up in a ziplock bag to be sent out ! :)

Nowadays if I have time I can work through it but who's got the time?

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

Anytime I open a reel it ends up in a ziplock bag to be sent out ! :)

I thought I am the only guy who put all parts of a reel in a ziplock bag whenever I open a reel. :)

#7 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

Nope, Dennis too hahah

#8 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

I just talked with Scott who fished bluefin in NC.
There were lots of big tuna on surface today.
He said he didn't like the bail of the Penn at all. We'll hear from him soon.

#9 gilhop2

gilhop2
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:32 AM

yoo kil you should see what happens when i just think about it let alone act on it :rolleyes: :thumbsu:

#10 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

I just sent alan a pm regarding my thoughts on a couple issues.Ill post them after I hear what he thinks as he has much more experience testing reels.

#11 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

Hi Alan
I took Kils new Penn to NC this past weekend and I had a few issues with the reel and I was wondering if you noticed the same thing.I stopped at Penn on the way down and they removed the washer as Kil requested.They also replaced the bail arm as it had a fatigue point in it right by the roller(from what I dont know) i noticed it and pointed it out to the technician.What I noticed.
1.The reel was still not very smooth even after the washer was removed.
2.The bail had a few issues,wouldnt stay open,could only get it 3/4 open sometimes unless i rotated it,and it seems as if it might be too small for the spool.
3.The handle seemed like it was a little to short which made it hard to keep a fluent jigging motion.
Just a few thoughts and would appreciate your thoughts on these issues

This was my Pm to Alan

This was Alans reply

Hey bowguide,

#1 and #3 are inherent design features of the reel. I pointed to Kil in the thread here that removing the seal wouldn't do it because the sealed bearings have drag in them. I criticised the use of those sealed bearings in my review and recommended using shielded bearings to bring it to the level of the Japanese reels in fluidity. Didn't think the handle was short, but that's subjective of course and other could prefer a longer one.

#2 is a serious issue though that needs repair.

Feel free to copy and post your message and my reply on the board for people to watch out when they buy

#12 bnz

bnz
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

Regarding #2, I haven't noticed that with my TRQS7 at all. :unsure:

#13 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

I used the Penn TQR S9 which Penn got rid of sealing of bearing in the rotor. Thanks Scott for traveling to Penn factory in Philadelphia for it.
Scott said the Penn reel is still stiff even they got rid of the sealing.
But I noticed huge difference between with sealing and without sealing. Scott is spoiled using Stella. :) Certainly it is not like Stella or Saltiga, but it is not bad at all.

Scott also mentioned that the bail arm is not fully open. But I notice that nothing is wrong with the Penn bail arm. They are designed that way. I measured the sizes of bail arm between Stella, Saltiga and the Penn. The size of Penn's arm is not small at all compared to Stella 18000 or Saltiga 6500H, but the spool of the Penn is much bigger as you see in the pictures.
When I cast with Penn TRQ S9 with a jigging rod, it is a little bit awkward as the spool of the Penn is very wide. But I didn't notice the line touch the bail arm.
I am going to use the Penn reel for casting popper using a long popping rod next time to see if there is any casting problem with the arm which does not open wide like Stella or Saltiga.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

As your Pics show the bail arm on the Penn barley clears the spool.It may not be a problem jigging or casting with braid but someone using mono may be losing casting distance due to it hitting the bail arm. I played with the reel a little back at the house and I would say 3 out of 10 times the bail wouldnt operate properly. I also pulled out my stella and did the same test and it worked 10 out of 10 times. The Penn is definitely a solid reel but I feel it to be "awkward" to jig with and that could be because I am so used to my Stella. I do look forward to giving it another try paired with the blackhole 2 pc jigging rod on hopefully a big bluefin.

#15 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Scott,
It is your turn to test the reel.:) I'll meet you today to give the reel to you.
I can not fish for a while as I leave for Beijing international Tackle Show this weekend.
I hope you fight a big bluefin with the Penn reels on your Tuesday trip.

#16 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

I will give it my best shot,but I have to admit I am more interested to see how the new Blackhole travel rod holds up to a big bluefin with 30-40lbs of drag :blink:

#17 johndtuttle

johndtuttle
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

I checked some older Penns I have and the bail position is the same as above on all of them. This seems to be how Penn "does it" and it causes no noticeable problems with casting mono. I will assume that the user is not using very heavy mono with modern spinning gear (the reel I checked has 30 lb) as the guides cause more problems casting when you get much heavier.

#18 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Scott explained the problem when he visited my shop.
In deed, the arm didn't open fully in certain position.
To open fully, I had to rotate the spool a little bit.

#19 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

I read fromn other site that Penn discontinue TQR S9 reel.
I'll check whether it is true or not.

#20 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

Kil,
I have fished BFT 5 days this year out of OBX.I have caught BFT 3 days out of 5 days. 2 days I did not catch tuna I was with Scott and he had Penn reel on board. Banana reel? :D :D

#21 Bucktail

Bucktail
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

I read fromn other site that Penn discontinue TQR S9 reel.
I'll check whether it is true or not.

I could be wrong, but I doubt that is true. It doesn't really make sense. Why would a company discontinue a new reel just as the tackle buying season is getting started?

#22 Enoch

Enoch
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:33 AM

Probably Marketing scheme. Remember 113HN?
I'm sure the new better version will come to bless us soon.

#23 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

This is a post by a Penn person on stripersonline.

Good morning.........If you are referring to the Torque spinning reel....it's up and running strong! Has been and I have heard no notice at all about these reels being discontinued. Also,the Torque conventional reels are being made and shipped out too. I work about 25 yards away from where all these reels are manufactured and the spinning and conventional reels are in full swing.Do you know which forums were talking about this at all? We would like to know so that can always try to keep the consumer abreast of any new information concerning new products.And I agree....Alan's reviews are great. He sure will put a reel through it's paces to make sure that the angler gets a great reel in their hands.
Have a great weekend.............Tom

#24 Enoch

Enoch
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

Good to put speculation to rest.

#25 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Kil,
I have fished BFT 5 days this year out of OBX.I have caught BFT 3 days out of 5 days. 2 days I did not catch tuna I was with Scott and he had Penn reel on board. Banana reel? :D :D

Dave I am totally convinced this reel is cursed as I had it in Panama to test and the first 3 days fishing was non existent the last 3 days I left it at the lodge and we had tuna each day with the last being "epic"

#26 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

Dave I am totally convinced this reel is cursed as I had it in Panama to test and the first 3 days fishing was non existent the last 3 days I left it at the lodge and we had tuna each day with the last being "epic"

Scott, I don't know whether we continue to use the reel for testing or not.:)

#27 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

Scott, I don't know whether we continue to use the reel for testing or not.:)

Courtland and Dave told me Im not allowed to bring it anymore or I am not allowed to fish with them :notfair: I still want to see the travel rod in action so I am gonna put one of my Stellas on it and sneak it on :thumbsu:

#28 bnz

bnz
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Banana reel? :D :D

You guys have it all wrong. The tuna see this reel on board and get scared. :lolu: Quit bringing on the bright gold one and switch to the black so it's not so obvious. :P

#29 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

I was thinking about testing the Penn reel on 8 days Socorro trip in April and I am not going to bring the reel as I can not ruin the life time fishing just because of one reel. :)

#30 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

I was thinking about testing the Penn reel on 8 days Socorro trip in April and I am not going to bring the reel as I can not ruin the life time fishing just because of one reel. :)

I think that is a wise choice Kil :thumbsu:

#31 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

I heard Penn TQR's frame got bent on the Canyon Runner by big blufin in NC.

#32 Tarponjack

Tarponjack
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

I heard Penn TQR's frame got bent on the Canyon Runner by big blufin in NC.

Was this reel one of the older models or the upgraded version?

#33 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Was this reel one of the older models or the upgraded version?

They had some issue with the reel last season, but I don't know they got a new upgrade reel or Penn fixed the issues with original reel. I'll find out.

#34 Tarponjack

Tarponjack
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

They had some issue with the reel last season, but I don't know they got a new upgrade reel or Penn fixed the issues with original reel. I'll find out.

http://www.striperso...15#post_8589555

Penn has recently changed the design of the spool hub from the cross pin to the washer stop and amended the bottom plate of the spool accordingly. This is why you can still see the recess of the -now gone- cross pin in that bottom plate as you pointed out. The pin's recess should disappear from reels made after the design change. Newer bailed reels have that updated washer stop as well so that you can shim the spools of both reels as you correctly noted.

Also Penn has taken care of the bail arm that bent too much, and made a new bail arm that I can confirm does not touch the spool under 21 kilos (46.3lb) of drag pressure which is the maximum I could handle without my arms getting ripped off my body. I can safely say that it won't touch the spool at the addition of the 3.7lb remaining for it to reach its maximum 50lb drag.

Edited by Tarponjack, 20 March 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#35 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Capt Mark of Canyon Runner came to my shop today and I asked what happened with Penn9S.
He said the fisherman used a harness strip and when he pulled hard, the base of the reel got bent.
Mark said they had about 25 bluefin utpo 80" with the Penn spinning reels and the Penn performed well. It looks the reel held up well for big bluefin.

#36 Alan Hawk

Alan Hawk
  • Moderators
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Capt Mark of Canyon Runner came to my shop today and I asked what happened with Penn9S.
He said the fisherman used a harness strip and when he pulled hard, the base of the reel got bent.
Mark said they had about 25 bluefin utpo 80" with the Penn spinning reels and the Penn performed well. It looks the reel held up well for big bluefin.

Told you all it would :lol:

I test reels really vigorously, and when I tested the first generation I caught the bail bending thing and didn't hesitate to show it to the world. When I tested he updated reel though I subjected it to stresses equal to the full drag from every angle possible including on an extreme scenario on a light parabolic rod that bends to the point of taking the first guide below the reel's level creating reverse bending moment on the stem, and only gave it the thumbs up after it passed with no tangible deformation.

#37 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

I test reels really vigorously, and when I tested the first generation I caught the bail bending thing and didn't hesitate to show it to the world. When I tested he updated reel though I subjected it to stresses equal to the full drag from every angle possible including on an extreme scenario on a light parabolic rod that bends to the point of taking the first guide below the reel's level creating reverse bending moment on the stem, and only gave it the thumbs up after it passed with no tangible deformation.

That is why your reel review is so important and is appreciated by many. :)
Penn sent me TRQ25NLD2 for field test. I'll give my honest opinion to Penn after testing as you do.

#38 johndtuttle

johndtuttle
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

It appears as though the strap that the angler used was able to slip down to where the stem contacts the reel body as there was no wrap around the rod to prevent this movement. This may have been the cause of the stem bending.

Unconfirmed but a video from the trip seems to indicate that was possible at least.

Edited by johndtuttle, 29 March 2012 - 08:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users