Photo

Which is the best topwater lure for bluefin??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pesca Bambi

Pesca Bambi
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

Hi everyone!

As long as I go fishing, I wonder which could be the ultimate topwater lure, and why.
Well, if we find some bluefin eating little sardine in the surface and we put some bigger and "ill" lure, moving slowly and wrongly we should think that every bluefin will atack this lure. But that's not true.

The last week, I prove some topwater lures, "walkys" as we say in spain, like the Saltiga slider in 85gr I think, also the Or Poi of Megabass, and some walker Duel lures.
The Or Poi lure had 1 atack, the saltiga slider had 8 atack and the Duel lure had no atack.

At first I thought it was the color, but that's not true, cause the Or Poi has better color in my opinion and better reflect.

My question is, what's the better top lure, and why????

Great fishing for all!

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:29 AM

You brought up good subject.
I found yellowfin and bluefin have somewhat different taste for lures.
Skipping technique or surface popping work great for yellowfin though they love sub-surface lures. But they don't work great for bluefin though they respond to surface lures occasionally.
And also I found bluefin have their favorite lures depending on their sizes.
Subuki/Brabus works great when they are small under 200 lbs, but I didn't have much success with Subiki/Brabus for 200 plus lb bluefin. We fished smaller bluefin in 50 lb range south of Martha's Vineyard Island this year and Subiki/Brabus worked great and we had 4 - 5 with the lure.

I'll post more about this subject.

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

Here are my list for bluefin.

1. Mangrove Studio Volado sinking
2. Daiwa Dorado Slider 180mm sinking
3. FCL LABO CSP-S 150S or 180S sinking
4. Shibuki/Brabus
5. 3 oz Ron Z
6. Tailwalk
7. Carpenter Gama
8. local Ocean lure

#4 Bucktail

Bucktail
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:09 PM

Here are my list for bluefin.

1. Mangrove Studio Volado sinking
2. Daiwa Dorado Slider 180mm sinking
3. FCL LABO CSP-S 150S or 180S sinking
4. Shibuki/Brabus
5. 3 oz Ron Z
6. Tailwalk
7. Carpenter Gama
8. local Ocean lure

Although I don't know all the lures on that list, I am familiar with the Shibuki/Brabus type lures and the RonZ. And the word "sinking" after the top three lures leads me to believe that (at least the top five) are not truly "topwater" lures, but more "subsurface" baits. Am I correct? To me, a true topwater lure is one that floats or rides on top, not below the surface.

I am still learning much about tuna fishing and have yet to catch one on a plug. All my fish, so far, have been caught on jigs. I have a couple of spook type baits - one custom made and the other is a floating Yo-Zuri Sahimi Slider. I gather from your list that these should not be the first baits to throw. Under what conditions (if any) do those type of baits work best.

BTW, I also have a Maguroni and several RonZ baits that I can try as well.

Edited by Bucktail, 22 August 2011 - 06:10 PM.

#5 Pesca Bambi

Pesca Bambi
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:21 AM

Hi all!

Thanks for the replys.

Kilsong, you know where can I get some Mangrove studio volado?? If your web shop can bring it to spain i'll buy this and some other lures you recommend to me.

Here the Daiwa slider 180mm is floating, but I think it depends in wich type of hooks you put on it. Here we put some 3/0 owner hooks but if you put some heavy hooks, it'll become a sinkin lure.

The best lure we have/we know here is the Daiwa slider, but I'm shure there are betters out there... i'll waste time looking for the best surface lure.

Thank you,

Miguel.

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:25 PM

Mangrove Studio Volador

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are three different sizes of Volador.

130mm (30g), 150mm (40g) and 170mm (60g)

And there are two different sinking model.

Level Sinking and Natural Sinking.

I tested 170mm level Sinking model and Natural Sinking model and both are working equally.

I used Volador on the first three bluefin trips out of Chatham, Cape Cod in early June last year and had big bluefin of 250 plus lbs bluefin with Volador on each trip.
I used Level Sinking model and natural Sinking model on purpose to see the difference, but both were working.

The basic technique I used for them was to jerk long slowly sideway, pick up the slack line, wait one or two second and Jerk again. I used the same technique for other stick bait most of time. I have a confidence with this lure and it is my favorite stickbait for bluefin along with Dorado Slider and FCL CSP-S.

I use 200-300 lb split ring and Owner ST66 3/0 for the lure.

#7 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

Daiwa Dorado Slider 180mm sinking

Posted Image

Posted Image

The lure becomes one of the most popular stickbaits for bluefin in Cape Cod because of comparatively low price and effectiveness.

I had two occasions that tuna took my Dorado Slider in the water while I was untangle lines.
The slow sinking movement of the lure definitely triggered tuna bites.
So When I use the lure, I intentionally pause to give time the lure to sink slowly.
Like using Volado, I jerk long and wait for a second while cranking slack line before jerking again.

However, I've seen fishermen use it as a popper and got strikes.

In fact, the shape of Dorado Slider is pretty common among other lures and you can see some other lures similar to Doraro Slider. I think the action of the lures rather than shape trigger bites.
For whatever reason, the lure has been very successful in Cape Cod.

Fishermen have their own preferred colors of Dorado Slider. My favorite is sardine/black, but I saw some prefer pink color and some prefer blue.

#8 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

FCL LABO CSP-S 150S or 180S sinking

When Tsurusaki san of FCL Labo came here last year, I asked to make sinking CSP model as the lure looks great and sinking stickbait is working better in Cape Cod for unknown reason.
When he came back again with other fishermen this year, everyone used CSP-S sinking model from 150mm to 220 mm. For 5 days, we must hooked up over a dozen bluefin around 250 lb range except one 120 lb bluefin on the lures.
Again, jerk/pause technique worked for these lures. However Capt Jimmy used it like a popper and had two with these lures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

[img width=337 height=600]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2011/capecodbluefin06-16-11182.jpg[/img]

Posted Image

Higaki san fought a nice bluefin next day, but it pulled the hook boatside.
Posted Image
CSP-S180S was used.

Darren and Khoo out of Singapore landed both tuna on CSP models.
Posted Image

Posted Image

[img width=337 height=600]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2011/capecodbluefin06-16-11378.jpg[/img]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Darren lost a nice tuna because Decoy hook got opened. He used CSP-S180S.
Posted Image

Posted Image

79" (280 lbs) was landed on CSP-S180S by Darren.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

Shibuki/Brabus

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Shibuki and Brabus the same except Brabus is a little heavier.
Shibuki/Brabus was one of the hottest lure in Cape Cod when tuna popping fishermen outside of Cape Cod discovered the bluefin popping fishery in Cape Cod a few years ago.
However it was strange that not many fishermen used them regularly in Cape Cod last couple of years.
I think it is because the lure didn't work great when tuna became big (over 200 lb) or fishermen had success with other stickbaik like Dorado Slider.
However it is a must lure for bluefin in Cape Cod or yellowfin in Gulf of Mexico.
(Strangely we didn't have much success with the lure for yft in Panama. )

This lure is very versatile. You can pop or you can troll.

#10 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

3 0z Ron Z

I don't know any other lure caught more bluefin than the 3 oz Ron Z lure in last few years.
They are just deadly. Strange thing is you don't catch many with similar other sluggo type lures.
I found some genuine lure popping fishermen shy away the lures, but it is a tuna catching lure same as other lures for me.
The lure is versatile. You can pop, you can jig and you can troll.
My choice of color is silver, white and pink.
But I had a great success with black color One fisherman claimed he had 10 bluefin with a 10 oz black Ron Z and I tested the same 10 oz black Ron Z for bluefin jigging out of Long Island, NY last year and I had four. You never know until you try. :)

Ron Z said you retrieve slow when tuna feed on slow moving bait like sand eel and retrieve fast when they feed on fast moving bait like mackerel. However I found retrieve fast with popping motion always work.

#11 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

Tailwalk Gunz
The lure becomes famous after Bret Baker landed a nice yellowfin tuna with the lure on the Big E out of Freeport, Texas.
It works great for bluefin tuna in Cape Cod. But the problem it is not the lure with through-wire and there were some failures because of it.
The lure is not pricey at all.

#12 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

Carpenter Gama

The first encounter of Carpenter Gama lure was when I fished bluefin in Cape Cod a few years ago. When there was no surface action, I decided to test a small 40g Carpenter BC-Gama to see the action of the lure. While twitching the lure, I had a huge swirl behind the lure.
When I cast again, I hooked up a nice bluefin.

When I fished with Konish-san and his field testers in Cape Cod last year, they tested several different models of Carpenter lures, but I found Carpenter Gama lures were the most effective.

When I fished on the 16 days trip on the Excel last December, I had a nice yft with 75g Carpenter Gama lure while most other lures I cast didn't get any response.

It is a floating model. It is pretty pricey, but I'd rather have this lure whenever I go tuna popping.

#13 Pesca Bambi

Pesca Bambi
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

WOW Kilsong, that was very kind for your explain and so clear.

My question is if I can get some FCL labo, some Mangrove and some Ron Z to Spain?

You go often fishing, you do charters or something similar? This winter, or the next year, I want to go some months to California or some place there to learn about fishing and to see the accesories, the techiques and whatever.
The fishing there and here is so diferent. Here you can't catch plus than 150lb bluefin at popping or spinning. It are all about 70lb to 100lb. But you can catch some 700lb fishing with sardine.
And here the bottom fishing is so poor, you only catch some little fishes and so many big conger, that's all.

Today I gone fishing, and I see thousands of Bluefin. But today it don't want the Daiwa Slider! I cast it in several colors I have, but it didn't take any response... that was surprisingly because all the days I gone with the Daiwa slider, I get some capture... I just get surprised.

That's the reason that I want to know which are the lures that found too with the bluefin. Hope we find it!

Thank you for all Kilsong!

Miguel.

#14 Tim T

Tim T
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

Kil,I came across this topic and I am wondering if your list from 2011 has changed? I know companies have introduced new lures in a last few years. Shimano Orca is one of them. I was hoping you can update the list? Also, I would be interested to see a similar list for jigs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users