A rod dedicated to dogtooth tuna - JIGGING

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FishKillah

FishKillah
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:54 AM

Hi guys, I am looking for a jigging rod that could help me to work jigs around 250g and fight dogtooth tunas in the 60kg to 80kg range !

I've been using a SMITH Nirai55 on my last trips in Andaman islands, but honestly this rod is not recommended when fighting big fish near structures.
It's a very easy rod to use with big jigs (300g) but I am looking for something "different".

I had a Seven Seas Northern Mariana in my hands a couple of years ago when I was in Panama but I don't remember how good it was ?!!

To be honest I am interested in these Seven Seas rods but have no experience at all with these jigging rods.

If you guys have a specific model from any brand, to suggest me, I'll ge happy to read your advices based on your experiences.

Thanks a lot :thumbsu:

Attached Files

Catch and Release SHOULD BE a reflex ! - http://fishkillah.over-blog.com/

#2 Randy

Randy
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

Yo Alban, preparing to go back to PB?

Sevenseas rods during Matsutani time are very good rods for big fish. Check out these models - Tunamania Dogtooth seriea, Oriental Dogtooth and Amberjack series. Just stay away from rods like Northern Marianna or Magnums, those imo are way too powerful for human being.

#3 FishKillah

FishKillah
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

Good to hear from you Randy.
From what I emember, that Northern Mariana was really stiff with a long butt section. I'm not really sure about that, it was a long time ago... in 2007 and I had so many rods in hands since that.

But I'll follow your advice.

I'll give a look at these Tunamania Dogtooth series and Oriental Dogtooth.

You saw the kind of spots we fish in Andaman and I need something more powerful, with more torque than the Nirai in these 40m near structures !

Of course I'm ready to read any advices on other brands. I'm not decided yet and YES I prepare my next trip to Andaman islands. I'm in Sweden right now, should go to Maldives (Oct-Dec) and back to Port Blair.

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Alban,

Some like fast action jigging rods, but I am partial to parabolic or moderate fast action rods when targeting big fish like tuna/dogtooth tuna.
Many believe tip section has to be soft so that fisherman can give more action to jigs and mid/butt section has to have strong backbone to give pressure to the fish, and many Japanese jigging rods are made with the concept.

See the action of Nirai rod by Brendon when he hooked up a big samson fish in Australia.
I am surprised the rod d
idn't break.

Here is a picture of Valley Hill's Mogi Special rod while fighting 250 lb bluefin in Cape Cod in June. Nirai and Mogi Special are great jigging rods, but I am not comfortable at all to see the rods bend like that.
capecodbluefin06-16-11481-1.jpg

Here are pictures of custom 5' 450g Black Hole "Nano" rod fighting 773 lbs giant on 50 plus lb drag.
IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

DSCI0081.jpg

Black Hole Cape Cod Special is fully parabolic like JM Power Spell. The advantage of parabolic rod is it distributes the pressure throughout the rod while fast action rod get more pressure on certain section of a rod. And the effect of fighting with parabolic action rod is to fight with a shorter rod and it give more leverage to a fisherman.

If fisherman doesn't like parabolic action rod because the tip is not sensitive enough in his opinion, a rod in between fast action and parabolic action can be a good compromise.
Too much fast action rod is not good to fight big fish in my opinion.

#5 FishKillah

FishKillah
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:07 AM

That Black Hole Nano looks like full of power ?!!!!
That's a huge fish to catch on such a "small" equipment. At that point we reach the limit of recreational fishing. Due to the big overhead reel I guess the angler wasn't jigging. Or he was ? Then he's crazy !!! And I like that :)

Concerning the NIRAI55, yes it bends. And it bends a lot !
I think that rod can handle reaaly big fish but migratory fish in open water and not decent fish (60kg range) near structures.

If I look at these places where they seriously fish for dogtooth, I notice that they use mainly Seven Seas, some Fisherman (personnally I don't like these rods) and Zenaq.

There are so many brands on the market... the most famous are Valley Hill, MC Works, Zenaq, Smith, Fisherman, Seven Seas, Patriot Design, Jigging Master, Synit and so on...... that it's difficult to have an opinion on all.

I will keep reading this post, I'm not done yet and like you said, I don't like fast action rods for big fish either. So it will be hard to decide myself.

PS : that big BFT impress me... I wish I could visit USA and fish for one of these giant (200lb will be enough for me)

Edited by FishKillah, 07 August 2011 - 04:08 AM.

#6 CSRen

CSRen
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:17 PM

When fighting monster fish near structure, I suggest you use Carpenter OH 55XH-S(spin)52XH-B (bait) or Ripple Fisher 5220.
Cheers,
Jeff

#7 Enoch

Enoch
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:54 PM

I like Brandon's reaction but not sure why him and the other fellow immediately throw the rod into their fighting belt. The lifting action as they position the butt in the belt really makes me feel uncomfortable. I would rather lift from my arm for the first run then switch to the belt.

Am I missing something here?

#8 my_bluesea

my_bluesea
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:54 AM

BH 350g for parabolic lover and Spinal 300/400g (series 2) for med/fast lover with parabolic action on heavy drag. At the end that would be personal tease, try them all in the same time to get apple 2 apple. You may enjoy playing around with heavy jigs or during real fighting with fish. Your back never lie

#9 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:21 AM

That Black Hole Nano looks like full of power ?!!!!
That's a huge fish to catch on such a "small" equipment. At that point we reach the limit of recreational fishing. Due to the big overhead reel I guess the angler wasn't jigging. Or he was ? Then he's crazy !!! And I like that :)

Black Hole 'Nano' Cape Cod Special raised the bar again.
1000 lb giant was landed with 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special factory jigging rod(caught on bait) last week. Fighting time was only one hour using 50 plus bl drag.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:01 AM

I like Brandon's reaction but not sure why him and the other fellow immediately throw the rod into their fighting belt. The lifting action as they position the butt in the belt really makes me feel uncomfortable. I would rather lift from my arm for the first run then switch to the belt.

Am I missing something here?

Enoch,
You are right. Many fish are lost trying to put the rod into fighting belt hurridly as soos as they get bites. Relax is a key.

#11 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

When fighting monster fish near structure, I suggest you use Carpenter OH 55XH-S(spin)52XH-B (bait) or Ripple Fisher 5220.
Cheers,
Jeff

You are right Carpenter OH 55XH and Ripple Fisher 5220 can handle big dogtooth.
55XHS is a little longer, but lighter 323g while Ripple Fisher 2220 is 341g).
While Ripple Fisher's rating is upto PE8, Carpenter 55XHS's rating is upto PE10.
But when I bend both rod, Ripple Fisher 2220 is as stiff as 55XHS.

OH55XH-S(top) and RF 5220 (bottom)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 jerome the belgian

jerome the belgian
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:42 AM

Alban

Hi my friend :thumbsu: , for doggies : black hole 350 is enough or jigging master three kings, you can easily find much more expansive rods, but the best deal comfort/good fight/price is black hole;

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users