Two-Piece JIgging/poppping rods to carry on

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:52 PM

Rod case becomes a big issue when you travel on airplanes nowadays.
A few airlines like Continental, American or Jet Blue are pretty generous to allow for fishermen to check in a rod case as long as 7' without penalty.
However, some had to pay as much as $250 one way for a shorter than 6' rod case.
Situations will get worse as airline security are getting tighter and airlines are trying to find ways to increase their revenue.

There is no way you can avoid excessive size penalty when you fly on a small airplane with 7' rod case in remote areas.

There is only one solution. To bring shorter rods.
I plan to meet Black Hole rod designer in the fall or winter to introduce two-piece popping/jigging rods for travelers.

Most Japanese two-piece popping rods are butt-jointed except FCL LABO. Tsurusaki san of FCL LABO. I plan to make Black Hole Cape Cod Special popping rods with joint in the middle for travelers. 8' popping rod becomes 4' and you even carry on 4' rods on the plane.

I also plan to make butt jointed two-piece jigging rods so that you can carry on them on the plane. Some suggested that all 250g, 350g and 450g top section can fit to a single bottom section. I think that is a good idea and it is not difficult to make it.
If you guys have any better idea/suggestion, let me know.

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:15 PM

I visited Korea last week and discussed with N.S chief engineer to develop two-piece Black Hole Cape Cod Special jigging rods.
I asked moderate fast action for the two-piece rods. Proto-type rods will be here by the end of Nov for testing.

#3 capecodtuna

capecodtuna
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

Just to follow it up. Kil, are the two piece jigging rods coming? I am planning a trip to the Florida Keys in February, hope to have a two piece rod to carry on the airplane.

I visited Korea last week and discussed with N.S chief engineer to develop two-piece Black Hole Cape Cod Special jigging rods.
I asked moderate fast action for the two-piece rods. Proto-type rods will be here by the end of Nov for testing.

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

After I get the prototype rods, I need time to test them on fishing trips.
Then they are going to order materials and other things from Japan.
It takes 2 - 3 months to get Fuji guides from Japan.
So, the earliest time I can get them is late Feb.
You might try the prototype rods on your trip.

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

The total length of prototype BH Cape Cod Special two-piece jigging rods is 5'1" including aluminum gimbal.
The guide section is 38" (3 ft 2 inches).
The weights of the rods are about 10 oz for conventional rod and 11 oz for spinning rod.
It fit barely in a compartment in an airplane. So 5'1" will be the maximum length for two-piece jigging rods.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

Action of 350g two-piece BH jigging rod compared to 350g one piece BH jigging rod

moderate/fast action of 350g two-piece rod
Posted Image

parabolic action of 350g one-piece rod
Posted Image

350g two-piece tip section (left) is substantially thinner than 350g one piece's.
Posted Image

You can use same butt for 250g and 350g.
Posted Image

#7 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:30 AM

Got to pull on the 350 gram yesterday :) Its super powerful and really light in weight
Epoxy Huffing

#8 capecodtuna

capecodtuna
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

Looks really nice. I hope they become available soon.

#9 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

350g prototype two-piece BH rod in testing with a decent AJ. It looks the joint can hold heavy pressure, but we need more extensive testings.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Dsharrz

Dsharrz
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

Hey Kil,

How is the testing going with the 2-piece rods?
Will blanks be available for custom builds any time soon?

Thanks

#11 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

Hey Kil,

How is the testing going with the 2-piece rods?
Will blanks be available for custom builds any time soon?

Thanks

We didn't have any issue while testing.
Two-piece jigging rods/blanks will be introduced by Sept.

#12 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

I just picked up the shipment at UPS.
The rods look neat. The rod case can hold 3 conventional rods or two spinning rods. If you push hard, you can put 2 conventional rods and one spinning rod.
Or, if you put the butt section in check-in back, you can put 5 top sections of rods with combination of conventional and spinning.

Here are pictures of the rod and the rod case.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

what is interchangable here Kil? can you use 80 and 150g tip on the same grip?

#14 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

If it was me producing the rods I would let all rods have rubber cross gimbal, atleast the 80 and 150g, I do not see the need for aluminum gimbal on 150 and 80g rods, Also I believe that the rods will be more attractive with spiral wrap config. and atleast the 80 and 150g should be fitted with fuji trigger seat for jigging and fisghting fish while palming the reel. The trigger gives much stability while jigging and fighting. for heavier rods the trigger might not be needed...

Just my opinion. Best, Thor

Edited by hafnor, 20 October 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#15 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

what is interchangable here Kil? can you use 80 and 150g tip on the same grip?

Only 250g and 350g are interchangeable.

#16 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

If it was me producing the rods I would let all rods have rubber cross gimbal, atleast the 80 and 150g, I do not see the need for aluminum gimbal on 150 and 80g rods, Also I believe that the rods will be more attractive with spiral wrap config. and atleast the 80 and 150g should be fitted with fuji trigger seat for jigging and fisghting fish while palming the reel. The trigger gives much stability while jigging and fighting. for heavier rods the trigger might not be needed...

Just my opinion. Best, Thor

When you have aluminum gimbal, you can cover the gimbal with rubber cover if you don't need to use aluminum gimbal. Many still prefer aluminum gimbal.

I know you like spiral rods and trigger seat. Again, majority fishermen still prefer regular guides rods and regular reel seats. There are minimum orders for modification and I can not ask them to make a few different rods. If there are enough demand, we sure ask them to make spiral rods or rods with trigger reel seat.

#17 nunoit

nunoit
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Wow nice stick what is the max line strength? I would hate a backlash from rod if line snaps

#18 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

Wow nice stick what is the max line strength? I would hate a backlash from rod if line snaps

If they are one-piece rods, I know the rods are one of the strongest rods, if not the strongest. However, the joint is a concern even if it is butt jointed and the joint is reinforced.

Here is my suggestion:

80g PE2 - PE3
150g PE3 - PE4
250g PE4 - PE5
350g PE5 - PE6
450g PE6 - PE8

#19 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special two-piece rod in action with 200 plus lb bluefin in Cape Cod.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

Asiana Airline charged $200 for 6' rod case when I left Korea for the US.
Airline regulations for check-in rod case is getting tougher.

#21 hammer514

hammer514
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

I trolled with my 2pc Black Hole rods, and what a result!

Just want to let everyone interested in these 2pc rods know that I landed a 300+lb Blue Marlin here in Quepos (Costa Rica) on my 450g with a JMPE7 loaded with PE8 hollow braid, and many 110lb+ sailfish on my 350g 2pc with a stella 10k loaded with pe5 varivas.

The charter captains were stunned of the power of these 2pc rods and I was absolutely the only angler here using braid for billfish... I think I converted some entire charters to braid on this trip:)

I got sails to the boat in under 10 minutes (Where as with the usual 30-50lb mono it takes over 30 minutes) and the Marlin was boatside in under about an hour, as I had to play him with lighter drag than I wanted due to a small size 8 circle hook.

Buy these rods with confidence!

I am ordering 2 more for my upcoming jigging trip to Brazil in April

#22 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

I trolled with my 2pc Black Hole rods, and what a result!

Just want to let everyone interested in these 2pc rods know that I landed a 300+lb Blue Marlin here in Quepos (Costa Rica) on my 450g with a JMPE7 loaded with PE8 hollow braid, and many 110lb+ sailfish on my 350g 2pc with a stella 10k loaded with pe5 varivas.

The charter captains were stunned of the power of these 2pc rods and I was absolutely the only angler here using braid for billfish... I think I converted some entire charters to braid on this trip:)

I got sails to the boat in under 10 minutes (Where as with the usual 30-50lb mono it takes over 30 minutes) and the Marlin was boatside in under about an hour, as I had to play him with lighter drag than I wanted due to a small size 8 circle hook.

Buy these rods with confidence!

I am ordering 2 more for my upcoming jigging trip to Brazil in April

Thanks for your kind words about Black Hole two-piece rods.
But I can not recommend to use two-piece rods for trolling. The reason is the exposed butt section can hit the rod holder when marlin attacked the trolled lure and it can be broken. We used a heavy duty rod to fight a 300 lb tuna by putting the rod in the rod holder and we lost tuna and rod/reel ans the rod got broken right at the spot where edge of rod holder touched the rod.

By the way, I was informed that you wrote a similar email to Spinal Rod. I am a little bit confused. I hope you can clarify it in more detail.

#23 costarockin

costarockin
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Kil-

PM sent to clear up the confusion.

But I can confirm that a Black hole 2pc 450g rod landed a 300+ Marlin, and a Spinal 300G rod landed one as well in the past few weeks while trolling.

#24 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for the clarification.
When I flied to Cabo San Lucas, they asked me to pay $165 for extra check-in bag one way. We are thinking about introducing two-piece carry-on popping rods in the future.
With carry-on jigging rods and popping rods, you are going to save lots of money if you fly often for fishing trips.

#25 tuna loco

tuna loco
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

Received my Black Hole Cape Cod Special 502 350g 2pc Jigging Rod in the office today. Awesome feeling rod. Amazing power in such a compact package. And thanks for all the extra tackle surprises.

#26 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Nice stick.. I need one or two for my upcoming trip to Spain. It helps a lot that you can bring your rods & reels in the cabin with you , piece of mind.

Thanks Kil

Edited by Anthony, 30 April 2013 - 09:07 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users