Studio Ocean Mark Drag System Rebuild - No Limits 16000 Spool

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Enoch

Enoch
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

Studio Ocean Mark has an interesting drag system. There might be an advantage for single stack drag performance over the original stock Shimano drag system.

Anyhow, I have taken the time to clean and re-lube the spool and its clicker system.
I found that the spool indeed does have some impressive re-engineering to it. Also there exist 2 ball bearings in the drag stack. One is in the bottom of the stack (fit into the body of the spool) and the other sits atop a metal drag washer that is milled out to reduce weight and functions as a stabilizer so the spool and drag spin smoothly in-line on the reel's main shaft.

Lube: Cal's Drag Grease (metal and carbon weaved drag washers) and Reel-X (bearings).

Posted Image

Here is the drag stack layout. Studio Ocean Mark uses Carbon fiber weave drag washers. The weaves are small and tight. The fiber washers and stack comes un-lubed.
Posted Image

Notice there is another metal (thinner than the rest) drag washer still in the spool bottom. I didn't discover it was still stuck down there until later. Anyhow, notice the bearing on the left and an embedded bearing on the third washer from the right.
Posted Image

The last "washer" is metal with a rubber ring sandwiched between a top and bottom layout. This is another way to waterproof the drag stack. Nice to have since there is already a rubber ring on the drag knob.

Posted Image

A close up of the 2nd bearing located 3rd "washer" from the top of the stack. Notice the embedded bearing as I have flipped the washer upside down and it reveals the milled out metal washer with the bearing in it.
Very nice design.
Posted Image

Posted Image

On to the 2nd half of the drag stack system of Studio Ocean Mark. There is 3 phillips head screws that mount the aluminum heat dispenser ring that is in contact with the spools main body.
Posted Image

Taken apart and cleaned, this is a nice piece of hardware I've never seen before on a fishing reel. Kind of reminds me of the metal piece on a northbridge chip located on your computers motherboard. Made to attach to the main source of heat. Made to dispense heat through the bottom of the spool.
Original, and genius.
Posted Image

Located in the bottom stack is another metal washer and a hidden drag clicker. This system reminds me of the Shimano Stella FA system or the Daiwa Dogfight clicker.
Posted Image

Notice the milled section of the spool where the "northbridge" ring attaches to. There is gap and metal contact to take the heat away from the spool. The underside of the northbridge ring is shown to have the ridged clicker system. This piece is quite well made.
Posted Image

Anyhow, remember how I noted earlier that I missed that last (thinner) metal washer in the bottom of the stack? Here it is on as the 1st washer from the left of the stack.
Posted Image

Northbridge ring back in place, screws with (red) locktite back in, and the spool is ready to go.
Posted Image

Presto! Clean, lubed, and back to action!
Posted Image

Cheers, --Enoch

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

Thanks Enoch for so detailed info of Sutdio Ocean Mark drag system.
We found we forgot to make Studio Ocean Mark in suppliers' forum after you posted it and we move your post to the forum.

JIGNPOP is a distributor of Studio Ocean Mark in the US. In fact, they are going to fish with us for stripers after ICAST show in July.
If you have any quesions regarding SOM products, let us known and we ask them when we meet together in July.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 AdhekUSA

AdhekUSA
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

GREAT Review

#4 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:48 PM

Very detailed review . Thanks for sharing !
Epoxy Huffing

#5 biboy2000

biboy2000
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

Very detailed review . Thanks for sharing !

nice one enoch!
plan on getting one too.

#6 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

awesome review Enoch , beside from the few xtra yards of line that the SOM 16K gives vs a stock STL10K spool what other advantage does it have .
Recently bought a 10K & im thinking on buying the SOM16K.
Thank you

#7 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

Thank you Enoch. Great Review. Does SOM also make a 20K max spool to fit the 18K Stella?? Will it hold the same amount of line as the Yumea max and is it
as good as the Yumea?? Looking for your thoughts as I will need to buy at least one more.

Jamie

#8 Enoch

Enoch
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:26 AM

Hi Jamie,

I hope we someday can meet and fish together. Kil is always talking about you and how you are representing over on the other side :)

The final count for capacity on the 18000/20000 "No Limit" spool will be more then the Shimano Yumeya MAX SPOOL. It will cost around $310 retail as well while the Shimano Yumeya MAX SPOOL will run around $390
Yumeya 20000 MAX holds 410 meters of PE8 and SOM No Limit 20000 holds 420 meters.

I know Basil has filled both reels before. (Basil if you happen to read this, do enlighten).

#9 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hi Enoch,

Looking forward to fishing with all you folks doing the testing and promotions in this great sport. I was hoping to get to Cape Cod in a week or two but not sure that is going to happen. I will be fly fishing the rest of the month in Montana so it make things tough. If the tuna stay after 4th of July I may have a chance to come out then. I will keep Kil informed as I would love to try Tuna Fishing East Coast Style..... Hmmm I sure hope I do not have to crank with my opposite hand since I come from the opposite coast....LOL. Thank you for your Info.

Jamie

#10 Enoch

Enoch
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

Kil or Jane can you please move this to the Official Studio Ocean Mark section of the board ?

thank you.

Edited by Enoch, 14 June 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#11 Han01

Han01
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:57 AM

Will the SOM16k fit the Stella SW8000PG? Thanks

#12 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

Yes the 16k SOM will fit the 8000pg. I have one in blue.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The spool has fantastic metal work and is silky smooth! The clicker is a bit louder and rougher than the stellas, and I like that.

#13 inlovefishing

inlovefishing
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

louder clicker than stella? aren't they normally they are very quiet?

#14 hafnor

hafnor
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:03 AM

You know to be fair, it is pretty similar soundwise... But not lower! The clicker is certainly rougher in terms of rotation of the spool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users