• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#101 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Kil,
Are you bringing different rods for others to use?

Just a note to Dave and others. The Excel is now carrying all Accurate Reels for loaner gear. I highly recommend reserving some of the ATD's for your use while on the boat if you do not own much in the way of bait gear. Accurate ATD's are as good as it gets for West Coast Long Range Big Fish drop jigs and Bait. Just something for you all to think about. The date is getting closer.

Jamie

#102 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

Kil,
Are you bringing different rods for others to use?

I assume everybody bring his own jigging and popping rods. I might bring a few extra if I have enough room. The Excel rents bait rods and kite rods.
I'll ask who need jigging and popping rods.

#103 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

I am informed that Tady will contribute irons(jigs) for the trip.
They are going to provide tuna jigs and wahoo jigs for us.
Thanks Tady for the generous donation.

#104 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

I assume everybody bring his own jigging and popping rods. I might bring a few extra if I have enough room. The Excel rents bait rods and kite rods.
I'll ask who need jigging and popping rods.

Hi Kil,
I have plenty of jig and popping rods so I really don't need any but was curious about using Black Hole Giant rod for YFT.

#105 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

Hi Kil,
I have plenty of jig and popping rods so I really don't need any but was curious about using Black Hole Giant rod for YFT.

I'm not giving it back...heh heh

#106 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

Hey Scott, called you this morning to check on you. You come thru storm alright?
On a brighter note, we are getting short for Excel trip.

#107 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Received your text to voice message this morning Scott. Good luck and if you need anything let me know, Good to know you'll are alright, sounds like you got hit pretty good.

#108 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Scott,

Clearly you East Coaster's are sinners and have angered the fish gawwds. None the less even a heathen like you should not have to endure forces of nature such as you all experienced. Glad to hear all of you are well and our best wishes go out to everyone back there. Please tell Jenn this is what she gets for marrying a heathen/sinner like yourself. By the way does this mean you can fish in the street in front of your house?? Hey, maybe the strippers will be boiling in your back yard and the tuna crashing by your kitchen window...... Really am glad to hear you guys are okay. See you in a couple of months.

Jamie

#109 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hey guys we finally got back online tonite,this was a rough one,and it looks like we are gonna add insult to injury with another strong nor'easter Wed into Thurs this week.Thanks to Dave and his generous offer to help out,the first round is on me in Jan.As far as Jamie and his band of limp wristed banana hammock wearing sausage stuffers are concerned,if a storm like Sandy hit on the wrong coast it would even take years to re decorate because you would all be fighting over which flower pattern you were gonna use :D Boy Jan. cant get here soon enough Thanks again Guys

#110 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Scott,

I am deeply saddened to learn just how little regard you have for those of us, east or west coast, who have been long subjected to the rigors and tortures of mother nature and her need to make some of us larger than others in certain respects. Though I know you are subject to much less lengthening, stretching, elongating and general distortions of certain aspects of our anatomy due to genetic make up and mother nature, there is no need to call attention to these assets, or in your case maladies, afflicting those of us who have been on this earth longer than you and apparently are larger than you in certain areas........ The "Banana Hammock",to which you refer in such a derogatory manner, is simply an answer and a fix to the constant nagging and swinging of our over sized units which, unknown to you, can hamper our everyday movement. It is both a curse, due to carrying around so much weight, and a blessing (When our female friends get a look a what is inside the "Hammock"). I am sorry you feel obligated to make fun of this issue which affects many of us..... apparently not you... For which I can say to Jenn "I am so sorry for your loss".......

Love you

Jamie

#111 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

Scott,

I am deeply saddened to learn just how little regard you have for those of us, east or west coast, who have been long subjected to the rigors and tortures of mother nature and her need to make some of us larger than others in certain respects. Though I know you are subject to much less lengthening, stretching, elongating and general distortions of certain aspects of our anatomy due to genetic make up and mother nature, there is no need to call attention to these assets, or in your case maladies, afflicting those of us who have been on this earth longer than you and apparently are larger than you in certain areas........ The "Banana Hammock",to which you refer in such a derogatory manner, is simply an answer and a fix to the constant nagging and swinging of our over sized units which, unknown to you, can hamper our everyday movement. It is both a curse, due to carrying around so much weight, and a blessing (When our female friends get a look a what is inside the "Hammock"). I am sorry you feel obligated to make fun of this issue which affects many of us..... apparently not you... For which I can say to Jenn "I am so sorry for your loss".......

Love you

Jamie

Wow you must have done some reading since we last met as you have become quite eloquent in your retort........I hope you read some more before our excursion as I will be bringing my A game and for you that means its gonna be a LONNNGG 9 days :D Cant wait to see ya buddy

#112 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

The Excel got a 400 plus lb super cow at Hurricane Bank yesterday.
They don't keep any tuna under 200 lb now.
Clarion Bank is also hot. I hope hot bites continue until our charter.

Posted Image

#113 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

The trip is just over one month away.
If anyone wants to discuss about tackle and logistics, let us know.
I am going to book rooms at Marina of Cabo San Lucas in a week.

#114 1morerak

1morerak
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Do you have the list of who is riding down from San Diego and who is flying to Cabo? Full list of whos going ? Everyone is supposed to be paid in full, so I would think there is complete list??

#115 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

I have read that we should bring Sabiki rigs and squid jigs for making baits. There are many different Sabiki rigs so what type or size do we need and I have never jigged squid so what type of squid jigs?
Thanks, David

#116 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

I have read that we should bring Sabiki rigs and squid jigs for making baits. There are many different Sabiki rigs so what type or size do we need and I have never jigged squid so what type of squid jigs?
Thanks, David

Hi David,

Bring several (At least 2 or 3 rigs) 2 - 4 hook Sabiki's for large Macks. Bring a couple of glow in the dark squid jigs either weighted for decent current or unweighted where you will add a line with lead on the bottom. If you have any concerns I can pick them up for you at Bob Sands Tackle in Van Nuys, Ca. and bring them to you. There are times the current is ripping so make sure you have some torpedo's in appropriate weights. My last trip we needed a minimum of 12 OZ but most trips 4 - 8 Oz. is fine. Appropriate Sabiki rigs are under 6 dollars each however the squid jigs with built in weighting can be very expensive. Non weighted ones I believe are around 6 dollars with heavy weighted ones up to around 20 dollars. These are rough prices as I do not remember the exact pricing.

If anyone needs anything you cannot get at home or would prefer to not have to ship out more tackle I will be happy to pick up anything you need at Bob Sands and Bring it to the boat. You can provide a credit card number by phone to the shop.

If you have any questions you can PM me and I will give you my phone number so we can chat.

Jamie

#117 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

I am being asked what items folks should bring on the trip in addition to your well used Jigging and Popping gear, windons, changed out hooks, terminal tackle, etc. Please make sure the hooks and artificial baits you bring are up to the task of giant tuna. Bait fishing is the norm on these trips though many of us are going to put as many hours as possible towards popping and jigging. Here are a few suggestions for trying live bait fishing West Coast Style. Before you snicker at live bait fishing I am confident most all of us will be bait fishing for at least part of the time with some fishing bait most of the time so please be prepared. Blind casting when fish are not boiling can be tough on most any Popper fisherman. Dropping Asian style jigs for most of us non professional types, can be grueling so please consider you may be doing some bait fishing.

Hooks: An assortment of J and Circle hooks. I prefer them ringed but this is very much a personal decision. I would bring a minimum of 30 - 40 Hooks.
Contact Guy at Ringed Hooks .com http://ringedhooks.com/ for any questions regarding long range hooks. He has them all at excellent prices and great customer service.

Here are a few of the favorites

6/0 Owner Super Mutu (Circle Hook)
7/0 Mustad 4X strong Demon circle hook
8/0 or 9/0 Eagle Claw 2005 circle hook

5/0 - 7/0 Owner Gorilla J hook
5/0 - 7/0 Mustad Hoodlum J hook

Mustad 7691 Big tuna J hooks. 8/0 thru 12/0. These will be used to make kite rigs and to use on big baits such as skipjack or small yellowfin. These do not need to be ringed.

Mustad 39960 20/0 circle hooks no ring necessary. To be used on the kite. You only will need a couple of these monsters

Chunking hooks: Very much a personal decision and since I am not really a chunker (I do not care for it) it is open for discussion. There are times chunking can be any excellent way to go. With Chunking, getting a nature sink rate which will follow the path of the non hooked chum/chunks seems to be the best way to go. There is much discussion about going with longer lengths of mono vs. flouro as to which seems to provide the best sink rates. Some folks like the swiveled hooks, some like to put a swivel between the main line and their leader material.

Top Shots/Wind ons:

Make your own, contact Basil and BHP tackle http://bhptackle.com/index.php, or John at JakNKona http://jaknkona.com/, Call the Excel and see if they will make windons on the boat.

The following is a minimum amount but remember in a wide open bite you will use more and a pick bite less. Go figure it is fishing after all. Just remember you do not want to be out there and run out of stuff. The following is in addition to your Spinner gear.

100 Pound flouro or Mono 25 feet. 6 minimum
130 Pound flouro or Mono 25 feet. 6 minimum
150 Pound flouro or Mono 25 - 50 feet 2 minimum for big bait usage

Kite rigs For those who wish, call the boat and see if they will be providing kite rigs at a nominal charge. You will need at least 3 heavy swivels to attache various types of kite rigs to.

200 - 300 pound Mono 10 feet 2 minimum for kite useage
200 - 300 pound mono 50 feet in a coil, not a top shot, to make double trouble rigs or other bait rigs for kite useage

Connections: Crimp or tie. If you choose to crimp use some sort of line protector such as a chaffing spring or appropriate size plastic tubing. Test your ability to crimp or tie on board as we will have some spring scales setup.

Lead:

1/4 oz, - 2 oz, sliding egg sinkers with toothpicks to hold them in place 6 of each.
4 oz - 8 oz torpedo sinkers with rubber bands to attach to the line.
If you like to drop big baits down low then a bigger sinker may be needed such as 16 - 20 oz. I am not big on this so I do not bring too many heavier weights but it certainly can work.

Rods: If you are coming from out of state and do not wish to ship or travel with your rods and reels the Excel has a nice assortment of rigs you can use.
Please place your order well in advance. I believe there is no charge for this service and you will only pay for top shots you purchase from the boat. If you have your own top shots I do not believe there is any charge for using the boat's gear. Please call the Excel in this regard.

If you wish to bring your owns rods and reels for bait fishing:

There are numerous manufacturers of rods and reels but make sure you bring stuff set up for the toughest of creatures. We will not be chasing down your big tuna..... Well, there could be a skiff trip or two for some of you, but most of the time you will need gear tough enough to place 30 pounds of drag or more for long blistering runs. Just because a reel is rated for it that does not mean it will hold up. Two speeds are mostly what you will see. Some favorites are:

Accurate ATD 30 and 50 Topless
Okuma Makaira 20SE and 30 SE
Penn VSX 30 and 50
Avet 30 wide Pro and 50 SDS

For those of you wishing to push the envelope with smaller reels. Please think about this before considering as it can be a bad idea for many. Line capacity tends to be a big issue. You can step up hollow spectra to get your maximum usage:

Accurate ATD 12
Penn VSX 16

Rods are a very personal sort of thing. For this angler I like a 6 ft. 9 to 7 ft. 3 inch rod such as the Super Seeker 6463 XXXH, XXXXH and 2 X 4, Calstar Graphiter 770XXH or XXXH. Some are really liking the Phoenix rods which again I would go with a stiffer type rod. Very much persona preference. Both the 2 X 4 and the 770XXH are a bit soft especially when you go to 130 pound test but they are fine sticks which some folks are more comfortable with. That said I always bring my trusty old Cal Star Graphiters 755XXH which I have had for years. Note: Ringed guides which are designed to hold up to Spectra are preferred to the old roller guides for ease of casting or lobbing a bait.

Rail Rod vs. Harness. For those who will be on their very first West Coast Long Range trip I highly suggest you try the rail rod technique. It is easy to learn and really gives some leverage to the angler as well as not having to wear all the harness stuff. I Happen to fish out of both the harness and use the rail but this is very much a personal preference sort of thing. I just suggest to leave yourself open to the idea when fishing conventional gear.

Harness for the spinners: For those of us intending to use spinners for casting poppers or even deep jigging for these cow size fish consider using a harness with appropriate length straps and D rings which can attach to your spinner rod. I prefer quick release hooks over snap in hooks as you will certainly have to get in and out of the harness rather quickly when going up and down rail or over and around other anglers or the bow. I happen to use the Braid Power Play line of plate, drops straps and bucket but any harness rated for the largest critters will work.

Wahoo fishing:

A good 40 - 50 pound rod (Usually rated 30 - 60 by the Manufacturer) with a decent stiff tip for casting. I like 8 foot rods but you guys traveling may go smaller. Casting long distances for Wahoo is not required as they generally are closer to the boat.

1 good lighter stick to fish 30 - 40 pound string using lighter wire

Wire to make leaders with inexpensive hooks. Nothing fancy needed for wahoo. You can use single strand, coated 7 strand, uncoated 7 strand or any of the newer tieable wires such as Knot2Kinky. You can crimp your wire or make a haywire type twist to make your connections. Some like a swivel and some do not but most like some sort of a ring to tie your main line to the wire leader.

Casting Jigs:

Whatever works at home should work here. I have listed a few of my favorites. Straight tied to mono seems to get bit better than a wired jig but with the high cost of these jigs it is up to the angler. Most of these come with Siwash J hooks which I tend to close up the gap of the point on. Treble hooks are not favored due to the difficulty in the crew getting their hands too close to the fishes razor sharp teeth when removing the hook.

125G and 150 G (200 gram light) Gold Raider jigs

4.5 Oz. Gold Hopkins Jig

Bombs which usually come wired.

Trolling:

Medium and large size Marauders with J hooks and swivels. Wired to the main line. Please note, large tuna have been known to grab these things so please attach to a reasonable sized reel and rod. Some folks use their trolling rods for double duty such as switching over to a large bait rod when your rotation is not near.

Catchy Tackle spinner jet lures in larger sizes.

There are other trolling lures which may work for you back home. Bring them and lets see how they work out here.

Heavy drop jigs:

Salas PL68 heavy in the glow paint and tuna style J hook is the preferred jig out here however I am really looking forward to seeing how the Asian style drop jigs will do in the hands of master jiggers. Some folks are going with a slightly lighter Salas or Tady glow jig in order to get more of a flutter. Hopefully we will be able to get a real feel for what is superior for at least this trip.

I already mentioned squid jigs and Sabikis in a previous post which everyone will need.

Anyway, this is a start. Please do not rule out or come with a preconceived notion of what West Coast long range is about. Be prepared to change up your style and technique and go with the flow. Of course if you only want to throw poppers or drop jigs you may fish any way you wish. We really want to see what works in the way of artificials but we will have plenty of time to fish bait as well.

West Coast Long Range is a chance to fish hard and relax hard. We should have plenty of fishing time as many places you can fish 24/7 so pace yourself and do not deny yourself the chance to have an adult beverage... in moderation or to sit back and watch the action. There are usually lulls in the action during which you can choose to take a nap, read a book, hang out or ?? Enjoy this as a fishing vacation.

See you at the docks. If you have any other questions please PM me and I will give you my phone number.

Jamie

#118 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hi Jamie,
Will call you tommorrow. Another great post and glad I know I am not the only one daydreaming about our trip on Christmas day. The next three weeks are going to creep by.

#119 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Flying into Cabo on the 24th at 12:36 p.m. on Delta. I am going on "Ceviche" and "Fish Taco" tour ASAP!

#120 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

Sounds good David,

What hotel you staying at??

#121 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Flying into Cabo on the 24th at 12:36 p.m. on Delta. I am going on "Ceviche" and "Fish Taco" tour ASAP!

Racko Jen and I will be right behind you at 2:08 Remember I like my beer ICE COLD......see ya there Buddy

#122 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Jamie, I don't have any idea, never been to Cabo. Scott, I might just hang out at airport and wait for you'll to arrive. Give me a call when you get a chance.
David

#123 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Good afternoon all,

I made reservations at the Wyndham Cabo San lucas located on Marina Street. They have a 3 night for the price of 2 special on all their rooms including those which face the marina and ocean. Also ask for the 33% off extra discount. The place is one of the most central locations in Cabo and is right on the wharf within walking distance of pretty much everything Cabo has to offer. It also has shuttle service to the airport. Please let me know where you all are staying. I do not know if Kil has arranged anything but I am sure we will hear something shortly. Also, the flight from Cabo to San Diego on Alaska Airlines is less the 140 dollars right now. It departs Cabo a bit after 3 PM on the 5th of February which make it an easy flight. I am staying the night of the 5th at the Vagabond in San Diego directly across from the landing for the night of the 5th. I do not know how many others are considering the same thing. Please let me know. I hope you all are getting as excited as I am.

Jamie

#124 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

The long waited trip is finally around the corner.
I am going to send rods and other stuff to the Excel in a few days.
Most fishermen fly to Cabo San Lucas on Jan 24 as the Excel arrives at Cabos on Jan 25.
I suggest to stay at Whyndahm Hotel at the marina if anyone hasn't book a hotel yet.

#125 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

The long range boats don't provide towels for customers no matter how long they fish. As many fishermen on the trip never fished on the long range boats,
So we ordered bath towels and hand towels for them.
Everyone on the trip will get a bath towel as well as a hand towel free.

#126 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

The long range boats don't provide towels for customers no matter how long they fish. As many fishermen on the trip never fished on the long range boats,
So we ordered bath towels and hand towels for them.
Everyone on the trip will get a bath towel as well as a hand towel free.

#127 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

wow, you guys have a great time & good luck on this magnificent adventure , i just can dream of making one of this trips in my life.

#128 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Konish san of Carpenter is joining the trip with his fishing friend from Japan.
I hope he catches 100 plus kg yellowfin on a popping rod on this trip.

#129 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

This trip should be a doozy.

I and perhaps others will be able to put some details out from the Boat's internet system and will post on this website. Wish you all were going.

Jamie

#130 Dimitri

Dimitri
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Nothing under 200 baby, that's how you stack the cows.

#131 Dimitri

Dimitri
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Anyway you guys can post what popper/lures are working really well? I will be heading out in February with the RR3 and would like the time to pick something up in case we don't have it.

#132 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I booked Wyndahm Hotel at Cabo San Lucas for Jan 24/25.
I tried to get group discount, but it is more expensive than Expedia shows.
So I booked through Expedia. The regular king size bed room is $100 and double bed suite is $115 plus tax. When I checked Expedia a few days ago, the regular room was $135.

In addition to regular rods, I suggest to bring a light rod for catching bait.

#133 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Rods sent today, starting to have a problem sleeping and my wife is ready for me to go, driving everybody crazy at my house. I have turned the kitchen into tackle room.

#134 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Kil,
Did you book me room or do I need to call Wyndahm?

#135 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Kil,
Did you book me room or do I need to call Wyndahm?

I did not book for you because I booked from Expedia.
Don't call Wyndahm. The rate is more expensive than expedia.com or hotwire.com
Book through expedia.com or hotwire.com. If you have any problem, contact me.
I booked one night ( Jan24/25) and I din't book Feb3/4 yet because i am waiting for better rate than they offer now ($115 per night now).

#136 Maximum Anchorage

Maximum Anchorage
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

I booked Wyndahm Hotel at Cabo San Lucas for Jan 24/25.
I tried to get group discount, but it is more expensive than Expedia shows.
So I booked through Expedia. The regular king size bed room is $100 and double bed suite is $115 plus tax. When I checked Expedia a few days ago, the regular room was $135.

In addition to regular rods, I suggest to bring a light rod for catching bait.

Since the bait at Clarion is usually 2-4lb salamis, I just use my wahoo outfit, which is a BH 7'6" Nano popping blank that I wrapped conventionally with a trinidad 20 and 65lb braid and 50lb mono tophot. Those salamis are no joke and need fairly stout equipment to get them past the sharks and porpoises in order to be as lively as possible

#137 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

It looks we are going to fish buffer zone of Clarion Island if fishing condition does not change drastically.
Big cow off Tres Maria island out of PV disappeared and most tuna were small now.
Many long range boats out of San Diego go down to Clarion Island now.
The average sizes of tuna there are 100 - 150 lb, but some cow over 200 lb were caught there.
Most jackpot tuna were caught on kite. That means we have good shot at cow with poppers.

#138 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Spoke with Gretchen at '5 Star' fish processing today. Real easy to talk to and shipping fish back to N.C. isn't that expensive. I will be bringing Tuna home hopefully. I will give wahoo to Jamie since we have plenty here in N.C. :).

#139 Captain-Jason

Captain-Jason
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

Congrats on your successful charter set up & preps!
I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks now (followed through the Excel website). I just cannot resist to chime in. So I registered to the Forum. Hi, everyone! :thumbsu:

I went down to Hurricane Bank Nov. 23 to Dec. 8, we did pretty well as we nearly plugged very capacious Independence's 29-tone fish hold (with estimated 24.5 tones of fish!). Very few fish under 100 lbs. were caught/kept. The fish-count was near 300 Bigguns (100# & over), including 50 Cows. 25 guys fished together, 15 renewed their personal best including myself. The trip's best fish was 250 lbs. While we were down their, Excel caught the 445 lbs. monster YFT on the man-bait (we got that through the boat's radio) - Capt. Jeff DeBuys wanted all of us fishing the man-baits! :P Anyway, we had a hell of good time. I sincerely wish you guys have the same magnitude of fun as we had.

FishorDie (Jamie) had very good advises for you Jig & Pop guys. I have seen YFT & wahoo biting jigs and poppers on these LRSF trips. Sometimes getting the bite going on the jigs & poppers can be very hard/frustrating. The fish at times simply refuse to get close (enough to be in the casting ranges). Now what are you going to do? So please be prepared to do some conventional bait fishing. I think if a few hooked fish are around the boat, other fish can follow the hooked ones - and sometimes they turn on - into the FRENZY! A bit off the mark, but still qualifies as a "jigging activity" is yo-yoing heavy glow-in-the-dark jig off the bottom. I think this was covered in this thread somewhere. Minds you, this jig is heavy - 9.5 oz. You are going to need a sturdy pair of arms for this type of fishing. Be prepared, and the FORCE be with you guys! Good luck!

Oh, I've got the itch fingers - I signed up for April 19 Shogun 15-day trip and November 29 Independence 15-day trip. They look too far, at this point.... :(

Mr. Song, I am sending you my regard here. I wander if you remember me still. We had exchanged a few lines of greetings, say about 10 years of so, at Jigging Korea website (then run by Mr. Dong-ryul Kim). I think that you were using ID "KilSongCPA", or something similar. I am located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. I used use ID "Jirungyee" and was active at "Internet-Badanaksi" site, based in Korea (1999~2004). I can see that you are firmly established your business and name in this field. My congratulations go to you for that matter. Currently I am an adviser for a Daum Cafe "VanFishing", enjoying sharing of my experiences with fellow fishermen of Korean-stock in Vancouver. I wish that one day we can fish together & do some story swapping. It is my regret that I found out your website (and this trip) too rate. I would've joined on, if I've known it earlier.... Coincidentally, I also stayed in the Moon Palace in Cancun Dec. 24 ~ 31. Regretting that I missed an opportunity to meet you there.... Oh, well, sooner or later, the lines will cross, right? My best wishes for your January 25th Excel charter.

Tight Lines!

Edited by Captain-Jason, 12 January 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#140 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Welcome aboard Captain-Jason,

When jigging was in infant stage in Korea, I remember Dong Yul Kim and Don Man Shin were front runners. Unfortunately I heard Dong Yul Kim stop fishing while Don Man Shin becomes a star in Korea and China now.

I tried to help one fishermen who was on the Korean website when he visited to Israel with his wife from Islael. I think the fisherman was Taekwondo master. Is it you ?

There are unlimited opportunities of jigging and popping on long range boats out of San Diego, but live bait fishing is detriment to the development of jigging and popping while live bait fishing on long range boats has contributed to develop many tackle and ideas.

As you know, GT popping fishermen never use live bait even they have hard time to get hit by GT. Serious jigging and popping fishermen jig and pop until they get hit on jigs and poppers no matter how long it takes.
I don't think Konish san of Carpenter use live bait no matter what on the trip.

I already found tuna rarely hit jigs on long range boats off Mexico. I had two cow on jigs on the Q105 in 2005 and both hit jigs when it got dark.
However, I missed good opportunity to get them on poppers because I didn't bring any popping rod on the trip. Big tuna were crushing within lasting distances.
I had two nice tuna on the 16 days trip on the Excel two years ago even we didn't have any surface action and I almost landed a 200 lb yft on Heru Skipjack on the Maximus last Dec. The big tuna hit my lure only 30 - 40 ft away from the boat.
I am confident we can catch big tuna on poppers as long as they catch tuna on kites.

When you want to fish East Coast, let me know.

#141 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

The trip is only 10 days away.

JIGNPOP donates 7' Black Hole Cow Special popping rod for the winner of biggest tuna on poppers and Black Hole Cape Cod Special 450g for the winner of biggest tuna on jigs.

I suggest to bring two different popping rods: one for big tuna in 150 - 250 lb and one for wahoo or smaller tuna. If we go to Clarion Island, we have chance to play around with jacks on poppers at night while anchoring in a bay of the Island.

#142 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Clarion Island

It seems we are going to fish Clarion Island on the trip because fishing around the Island is excellent while other areas like Hurricane Bank of off Puerto Vallarta are not hot unless fishing condition changes.

Clarion Island is located about 400 miles from Cabo San Lucas where we are going to aboard the Excel. When we arrive at the Island, we check with Mexican Navy on the Island first before fishing.

Posted Image

Tuna fishing is usually excellent along with abundant wahoo.
The average sizes of tuna are in 80 lb - 180 lb and you always have a chance to catch 200 - 300 lb cow. I can say 150 lb yellowfin there fight as hard as 200 lb bluefin does on the East Coast.

They usually drift or on anchor depending on fishing situation.
Sometimes birds are working and sometime are not. However as long as kite fishing is working, popping is working.

Jigging is working not working well during daytime. I had tuna on jigs mostly early in the morning or when it get dark.

Here are my suggested jigging and popping setup fishing in Clarion Island.

Popping
-Stout short rod in 7' - 7'6" capable of handling 30 plus lb drag.
-Stella 18000/2000 or Satiga 6500H/7000 and custom spool with more line capacity is a good choice.
-80 lb and 100 lb braid with short 5' - 15' 130 - 150 lb mono leader. I prefer Jerry Brown Hollow 80# as its breaking point is 150 lb. I'd rather have 130 lb braid for spinning reels, but unfortunately there is no reel with enough line capacity if you spool with 130 lb braid.

jigging

Stout and short jigging rod capable of handling 30 plus lb drag.
Any reel which can have 400 plus yards lines with 130 lb braid. 80 lb Jerry Brown is the second choice if your reel don't have enough line capacity with 130 lb braid.
You don't have jig all day on this trip. So heavier reels and rods are not issue.

bucket harness
For fighting a cow on a spinning popping rod, I highly suggest to use bucket harness and fighting belt using harness lug.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#143 Captain-Jason

Captain-Jason
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thank you for your warm welcome, Mr. Song....
Or shall I address you Kilsong or Kil? Whichever is more comfortable for you. I lived more than a half of my life in North America (30 years in the USA & Canada), and considering myself a complete "Banana". I can play both side of the cultural innuendos/nuances no problem. :P

Yeh, it was too bad that Mr. Dong-ryul Kim did not succeed on his dreams to lead the jigging & popping ocean fishing expansion in Korea. I thought the guy was quite sincere on preaching his fish-dreams to others around. Alas, maybe he did not have enough of the business-shabbiness to unfold and back up his dreams. Wherever he is now, I wish him well. On the other hand, I do not know Mr. Dong-man Shin. I've heard of him, but that was it.

I am not the fisherman you think (the Israeli-Korean Taekwondo master), but I do know him quite well. He was in Vancouver until 2011 Summer , and very active member of VanFishing Cafe. At a point, he was one of the moderators there. He goes by the ID Mang-Chi (hammer), and also active at Jigging Love Cafe. Well, I wish I am burly/strong as he. He is now in the San Francisco Bay area, CA. Once he is settled down there, quite possibly he would jump into the LRSF or Jigging/popping scene.

I do agree with you on the existence of a big possibility of the development of jigging/popping in San Diego based LRSF. I already see quite a many Long-Rangers bringing along knife-jigs and poppers, on the side of conventional yo-yo/surface jigs. And they do use them. I certainly do not have any bias against the knife-jigs or poppers. I regularly carry a box-full of big poppers (a dozen of so of 9" and bigger poppers), and when I see right opportunity being presented, do use them. I only caught a few 50~60 pounder schooling YFT, but it was fun! I cannot comment on your pointing "live-bait fishing is detrimental to the expansion of jigging/popping on LRSF". I do see the possibility on jigging and popping, but I am not qualified to speak of the "general mind" of average Joe LRSF guys. I believe that as the time goes by, the LRSF guys will start to get their hands on the knife-jigs and poppers, thanks to the pioneers like you who are not afraid of pushing the envelops. So all kudos to you, Kil.

On your comments of "GT popping fishermen never use live-bait....", I say that is their choice to make and that would be fine with me. I do no longer differentiate between the bait-chuckers vs. artificial-only-purists (the question of 'which is the better form' no longer bothers me :P ). "Whatever Works" is my mantra & modus-operandi. When I go fishing here in Vancouver, I do not touch any bait (live or dead, frozen or cured....) at all. Only artificial is allowed on my boat. Spoons, hoochies, jigs, plastics, buck-tails, flies and etc., etc., but no bait. When I go to San Diego to hop on one of the LRSF boats, I do carry my jig-boxes but also prepare myself to handle any bait that present itself on the trips. Man-bait, sardine, mackerel (green, jack, scad, cavallito, & etc.) squid, anchovy, red-pelagic-crab, and/or whatever. They all uniquely present intricate challenges of their own. So I rather open my mind to any opportunity that may come along. That's me, myself.... :D

Of course the persistence will pay its dividend, and only the determined shall be awarded accordingly. Sharpen your hooks, and then see what happens. So my best wishes to you and your fellow jig & pop die-hard fishermen. Good luck on hooking many, many Cows. I am envious that you guys will be travelling the tropics while I am day-dreaming in sub-zero.... :notfair:

KEEP on CASTING!!!

Jason

Welcome aboard Captain-Jason,

When jigging was in infant stage in Korea, I remember Dong Yul Kim and Don Man Shin were front runners. Unfortunately I heard Dong Yul Kim stop fishing while Don Man Shin becomes a star in Korea and China now.

I tried to help one fishermen who was on the Korean website when he visited to Israel with his wife from Islael. I think the fisherman was Taekwondo master. Is it you ?

There are unlimited opportunities of jigging and popping on long range boats out of San Diego, but live bait fishing is detriment to the development of jigging and popping while live bait fishing on long range boats has contributed to develop many tackle and ideas.

As you know, GT popping fishermen never use live bait even they have hard time to get hit by GT. Serious jigging and popping fishermen jig and pop until they get hit on jigs and poppers no matter how long it takes.
I don't think Konish san of Carpenter use live bait no matter what on the trip.

I already found tuna rarely hit jigs on long range boats off Mexico. I had two cow on jigs on the Q105 in 2005 and both hit jigs when it got dark.
However, I missed good opportunity to get them on poppers because I didn't bring any popping rod on the trip. Big tuna were crushing within lasting distances.
I had two nice tuna on the 16 days trip on the Excel two years ago even we didn't have any surface action and I almost landed a 200 lb yft on Heru Skipjack on the Maximus last Dec. The big tuna hit my lure only 30 - 40 ft away from the boat.
I am confident we can catch big tuna on poppers as long as they catch tuna on kites.

When you want to fish East Coast, let me know.

#144 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hi Jason,

I used to be petty good bait fishermen and the hardest thing while jigging and popping is to overcome the temptation of using bait when bait fishermen hook up tuna on bait left and right while I jig hard for nothing.:)

You know what I am missing now ?. King salmon fishing in British Columbia !!
I used to travel to British Columbia for salmon fishing every year. I fished out of Port Hardy, Campbell River or Ucluelet in Vancouver Island and Rivers Inlet. Eventually I fished West Coast Fishing Lodge at Langara Islands 6 - 7 times.
I used to run 17' Boston Whaler myself for trolling cut plug herring for 15 hours a day in search of 40 - 50 lb king salmon around Langara Island at the northern tip of Queen Charlotte Island. It was so much fun. I fished with my daughter at a lodge off Port Hardy,Vancouver Island when she was 4 - 5 years old and she is 30 years old now. Time is flying.

I am going to use live bait on the Excel trip as I have a few rods to test for cow.
One of them is 7' Black Hole prototype rail rod. I hope they send it to me before the trip.

I see many Korean fishermen living in California start to enjoy long range trips now.
One of Korean fisherman from Los Angeles is joining our charter and several Korean fishermen is going to fish on 15 days trip on other long range boat in Jan/Feb this year.

#145 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

His and hers custom "Giant Slayers" courtesy of Terminator Tackle all ready to go show those West Coast boys how its done.Matched up with Avet TRX-50w.No tuna is safe from me now

Attached Files

#146 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

bath towel

We ordered bath towel and hand towel to distribute to everyone on the trip as the Excel doesn't provide towels, but the quality of towel is disgusting when they arrived. we are going to return them.

Please bring your own bath towels for the trip or you buy them in Cabo San Lucas.

#147 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Most fishermen including fishermen from overseas will arrive at Cabo San Lucas on Jan 24.
We are going to have dinner together on Jan 24.
After breakfast on Jan 25, we go to Plaza Bonita which is in walking distance from the Wyndaym Hotel to take water taxi to aboard the Excel.
It will be very exciting fun trip.

#148 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I shipped 10 rods out to Jamie today and I still have all of this to deal with

Attached Files

#149 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hey Scott,
What is that yellow thing next to the pink reels? :D

#150 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Easy Big guy its called a Cush it. But you and Jamie can borrow it if you want :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users