Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:45 PM

Max from NY is joining the trip.

#54 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:22 PM

update

two on the list can not make the trip while two new fishermen join the trip.

From the US
1. kilsong
2. Jamie (fishordie)from West Coast
3. David (fishybuzz)from West Coast
4. Scott (bowguide) from NJ
5. Racko from Cananda
6. David (masonboro)from NC
7. Ryan ( ExtremeFisherman)from NY
8. Mark from Texas
9. gp125-racer from West Coast
10.monocom from NJ
11.Brian from NJ
12.Rodless_Jim from West Coast
13.Max from NY
14.Mark from NJ

The max numbers of fishermen from the US is 15 to assign spots for overseas fishermen. There are only one fspot left for US fishermen unless someone on the list cancels.

#55 Dimitri

Dimitri
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

WOW, a popping jigging trip! You guys are gonna disappoint all those live bait fiends, i mean fisherman. especially coming from the east coast ksong.

I would love to make this trip, however I only long range with my brother and he just fell ill. So, it don't look like I'm going to make it out this year. I usually run with the red rooster3 13/16 late in Feb. But if were I to be going out this year, I would have to do this trip.

Hope you guys fill the reserve and make it a successful trip. This way I can look forward to it next year.

#56 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

One or two fishermen from Korea will join the trip.
so it could be 3 or 4 Korean fishermen on the trip.

#57 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

I am closely watching fishing report form where we might fish on our Excel charter.
One of our possible destinations is fishing ground off Puerto Vallarta.

Here are recent report from the Maximus charter boat out of Puerto Vzallarta.
It looks great.

-------------

We found a large volume of fish on the second day and caught all that we wanted. There was one school of tuna in particular that had the bait ball of green jacks pinned so high and dry to the surface, the birds were sitting on the water and picking baits like ducks in a pond.

That foamer of tuna got so close to the boat I couldn't help myself and had to jump in. A passenger handed me an underwater camera and I dove under the frothing school to take what I thought would be the best National Geographic feeding frenzy footage ever recorded. Unfortunately, the footage did not come out due to some technical difficulties (condensation). I will never forget that free dive with the image burned into my mind of hundreds of tuna swarming around me.

#58 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

Konishi san of Carpenter is joining

Konish san of Carpenter informed us that he is joining the trip.
It will be big boost for trip as Konish san is truly a master of popping.
We can learn lots of thing by watching him fish.

#59 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

Konishi san of Carpenter is joining

Konish san of Carpenter informed us that he is joining the trip.
It will be big boost for trip as Konish san is truly a master of popping.
We can learn lots of thing by watching him fish.

Maaan,

This trip is just getting better and better. Though it is over a year away I am already Jonsin for this thing to happen already.. Of course this gives me one more year to get my West Coast Popping and jigging skills honed a bit better. Keep up the great work Kil.

Jamie

#60 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

Hi Jamie,
I tried to call you. I thought you were on a long range boat.

I am going to hire a professional camera/video man for the trip so that fishermen can concentrate on fishing. After the trip, everyone on the trip will get DVD of pictures and video.

I'll contact fishermen from Singapore soon. If they come, all spots from overseas are taken fully.

#61 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

Hi Kil,

My Phone knows I am replacing it with a new I Phone so it is being cantankerous. Oh well.

I will call you.

Jamie

#62 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

It is time to revive this thread. :)
The Intrepid went down to Puerto Vallarta on the 15 days trip as the Hurricane Banks are crowded and Clarion Island is not hot.
Puerto Vallarta is one of our option on the Excel Trip in Jan/Feb 2013. It looks they found nice tuna there on the first day.
Here is a picture of our moderator Fishordie(Jamie) with a nice yft. Fishbuzz(David) who is going on the Excel charter with us is on the trip too.

Posted Image

#63 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

Nice fish Jamie but that doesnt look like a popping rod...lol....BTW nice sandals

#64 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

Kil, are all spots taken for trip? I know someone who might go if needed. Reggie de la Cruz will go with little encouragement.

#65 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

Kil, are all spots taken for trip? I know someone who might go if needed. Reggie de la Cruz will go with little encouragement.

David, if everyone on the list can come, the trip is full.
I have to check who didn't send deposit yet. I gave 5 spots for bait fishermen as the Excel asked because we need bait fishermen to make more room for popping fishermen.
I let you know how many spots are actually available after checking the list.

#66 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

Konishi san of Carpenter will join the trip.

We just talked with Konishi tonight and he confirmed that he would join the trip with other Japanese fisherman.
As you might know, he is a master popping fishermen as well as famous Carpenter rods maker.
We have a chance to observe/learn popping techniques from him on the boat.

#67 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:00 AM

Capt Justin of the Excel had 3 hookups on 5 cast at Hurricane Bank yesterday.
Here is 150 lb tuna on a popper.

Posted Image

#68 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

Our moderator, Ryan donates his custom poppers for everyone on the trip.
Thanks Ryan for your generous offer.
I personally tested Ryan's lure for GT in Fiji and for yft in Panama with excellent results.

If any individuals or companies want us to test/use their products on the trip, they are welcome. However, they have to be original products.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#69 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

tuna and wahoo were caught on Ron Z on the Excel at Hurricane Bank today.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#70 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

Ron Z donates Ron Z lures for the trip

Thanks Ron Z. I'll post pictures when Ron Z lures arrive.
I don't think any other lures caught more bluefin than Ron Z in Cape Cod last a few years.

#71 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

updated list

1. kilsong
5. David (masonboro)from NC
6. Ryan ( ExtremeFisherman)from NY
7. monocom from NJ
8. Brian Metz from NJ
9. Max from NJ
10.Mark from NJ
11- 15 from the Excel

16-25 from overseas

waiting list:

1. Rob from MA

#72 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

updated list

1. kilsong
5. David (masonboro)from NC
6. Ryan ( ExtremeFisherman)from NY
7. monocom from NJ
8. Brian Metz from NJ
9. Max from NJ
10.Mark from NJ
11- 15 from the Excel

16-25 from overseas

waiting list:

1. Rob from MA
2. William M. from Georgia

#73 Dimitri

Dimitri
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Is the trip still on and is it fly down fly back? If so, I may have a few that can go. Give me a call Kill, 917-754-0024

#74 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

Is the trip still on and is it fly down fly back? If so, I may have a few that can go. Give me a call Kill, 917-754-0024

Fishermen have a choice leaving from San Diego or from Cabo San Lucas with same price.
Most fishermen opt fly down/fly back.

All 15 spots from the US are taken.
We might have a few spot open from overseas as some didn't pay deposit yet.
I'll wait until June. If overseas fishermen still don't pay deposit by June, those spots opened will go to fishermen in the US.

Konish san of Carpenter and another Japanese fisherman paid already.

#75 Dimitri

Dimitri
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

I guess put me and my brother on the standby list and stay in touch.

#76 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

I guess put me and my brother on the standby list and stay in touch.

I am leaving for PV, Florida and Bermuda trips tomorrow. We'll discuss it after I come back from the trip by the end of April.

#77 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

253 days and counting!! :D

#78 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

253 days and counting!! :D

Bring it on

#79 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

Originally, I liked to have about 10 fishermen from overseas and 15 fishermen from the US.
I had about 10 fishermen who showed interest to join the trip, but I couldn't wait any longer because the Excel asked me to give final numbers and deposit by the end of May.
So we have 21 fishermen from the Us and 4 fishermen from the overseas.

9 from California
6 from NY
3 from NJ
1 from NC
1 from Texas
1 from MA
2 from Korea
2 from Japan

We have good mix of jigging/popping fishermen and bait fishermen. There will be plenty of room for casting as well as plenty of room for bait fishing because popping fishermen like to cast with wind behind and bait fishermen like to fish facing wind.

There will be very little trolling on the trip. We do trolling only to locate fish.

#80 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

This trip is going to be SICK!!!!!! We should have plenty of industry sponsorship providing new fangled gizmo's along with the tried and true tackle we use regularly. To my knowledge this trip will be the first of it's kind on the West Coast Long Range Scene.

For those not yet signed up get on the Excel waiting list. You never know if there might be someone who drops out. Does not cost anything to get wait listed.

Jamie

#81 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Jamie, Fishermen from California probably stay with bait except you.:)
In fact, this trip is great opportunity for bait fishermen as there are plenty of room on the rail as popping fishermen use the other side and bow.

#82 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

I will be using all 3, jigs,poppers and bait. I am having rail rod built now and purchased ATD 30 for reel. I am really looking forward to this trip!

#83 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

David,

Great call on the ATD 30. My favorite cow reel for fly lining Sardines. And the Big Excel holds some 700 scoops of Sardines and the bait tanks will be filled up as always. For those who have never gone West Coast Long Range the bait loading process takes about 3 hours with 4 or 5 guys scooping bait from the receivers and gently placing them in the Bait tanks non stop.. Chumming up Tuna on the big boat is just not a problem. What rod you matching it to??

Jamie

#84 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hi Jamie,
The rod is really a stand-up rod which I will be using Braid powerplay harness and belt, I do have option of using rail but need to do it properly. The rod is a Synit "Kaha Extreme" which is capable of 30kg. of drag.
I want to start purchasing some 'Irons' to fish with but I am not sure what I really need. What are you bringing? I have jigs and poppers figured out. Look forward to sharing the rail with you.
David

#85 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

Hi David,

Two of the best jigs going for drop jigs on big Tuna out here are the Salas PL 68 in the Glow in the Dark paint and the Tady 15 with one side glow and the other side chrome and Blue or Blue and White. I have not been able to find the chrome version in years which as the glow strip on the flat side but it really was a winner. The Salas PL 68 is readily available. Anything you need from the West Coast you can order from Bob Sands Tackle in Van Nuys California and I can bring in down to the boat for you or they will ship it too you. I donate time at this shop and can make sure you get only what you need.

As far as Wahoo go the 125 thru 200 Gold Raiders are my go to jigs. The guys on the Excel actually recommend pulling the refractive tape off so color will not matter as much though I tend to leave mine on. The only draw back is the price of these jigs went through the roof due to material costs so I do not know how many are still out there.

Gold Hopkins No=Equal jigs are another great jig. Do not get the largest rather get the next size down which I believe either 4 or 4.5 oz. Make sure it has a single hook not a treble.

Some of the Salas 6X Jr. JIgs have worked well which have the bloody noses and butts painted on. These are noted as the Tarbaby pink (Black/grey swirl over white paint with the tip painted pinkish/red or the wounded/bloody soldier the same idea but in a more greenish color.

Some folks also fish the Catchy Tackle jigs along with bombs.

There are times the Tuna will eat these jigs as well but just not that often. The Poppers and drop jigs will work better for Tuna.

Since this is a fly down/fly back trip we probably will not be fishing for Yellowtail up north so those type jigs will not be required however if you want to try something like a Salas 7X light for the surface on Tuna you can just change out the treble hook for something more robust. My suggestion is to call the boat and see if you can talk to one of the twins. Justin and Jason are incredible jig/artificial slingers with Jason really doing some additional wild stuff with Yummy fliers and Helium Balloons. These guys are some of the best artificial anglers you will ever find and are always trying different stuff. It is the off season right now so you should be able to have one of them call you back if you contact the front office.

As far as rail rodding it is easy to learn proper technique in just a few minutes. The real key is to make sure the rod is setup properly and the blank can handle the pressure of point type contact. Depending on your foregrip material and how far up the rod it goes will determine, in part, how badly beat up the fore grip will be after a bout with a big tuna. The rails on these boats tend to be pretty wide like 6 inches or more in the bow however there will be time you will be on the edge of the rail. Many of us tend to wrap our fore grips with 3M Cold shrink which is very durable. Of course this applies to mostly our bait sticks though I do at times tend to turn my spinners slightly to the side to use the rail on them as well...... Hey, it's not my fault I am getting old and tired.

See you next year

Jamie

#86 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hi Jamie,. Look forward to sharing the rail with you.
David

Dave be careful what you say to Jamie,as you know he is from California :lolu: Seriously though Jamie any info to help us "wrong" coasters is much appreciated.Racko is gonna loan me the "Green Machine" with the Alutecnos....this should be sufficient,correct?

#87 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

Dave be careful what you say to Jamie,as you know he is from California :lolu: Seriously though Jamie any info to help us "wrong" coasters is much appreciated.Racko is gonna loan me the "Green Machine" with the Alutecnos....this should be sufficient,correct?

Hi Scott,

Be very careful what you say or you may end up on the front cover of a West Hollywood men's gay magazine..... Again.....LOL.

As far as the the rig Racko is lending you I am not a big supporter of Alutecnos. For all of you coming from the East Coast I would highly recommend reserving one or 2 big fish rigs from the Excel as it is great to have at least a couple of bait rigs including one for big baits. The Excel can provide you with rods and reels loaded with Spectra. All you pay for is the Top shots you use. You can bring your own top shots or the guys on the boat make them for a very reasonable price. You can also purchase the appropriate Kite appropriate top shots and rigs if you do not have crimping gear. The same applies to wire bait rigs for those wishing to practice such things. The rest of us will be throwing jigs, Poppers, Stick Baits or ???

For me I am battling some problems with my shoulders, wrists and fingers so I may not be able to fish artificials non stop as I would like so I will be bringing some bait stuff for Tuna in case my aging West Coast Body starts to give out. Kil and I and hopefully some others will be hopefully getting a fair amount of sponsorship for this trip so there should be plenty of goodies to play with and take home.

For those with any questions at all please feel free to ask away. No question is a silly question so Please, Please ask.....

Scott, please Tell Jenn I send my best.

To all of you on other coasts and shores I really look forward to meeting you all and exchanging ideas and techniques. This trip is going to be OFF THE HOOK.

Jamie

#88 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hi Scott,

Be very careful what you say or you may end up on the front cover of a West Hollywood men's gay magazine..... Again.....LOL.

As far as the the rig Racko is lending you I am not a big supporter of Alutecnos. For all of you coming from the East Coast I would highly recommend reserving one or 2 big fish rigs from the Excel as it is great to have at least a couple of bait rigs including one for big baits. The Excel can provide you with rods and reels loaded with Spectra. All you pay for is the Top shots you use. You can bring your own top shots or the guys on the boat make them for a very reasonable price. You can also purchase the appropriate Kite appropriate top shots and rigs if you do not have crimping gear. The same applies to wire bait rigs for those wishing to practice such things. The rest of us will be throwing jigs, Popper or ???

For me I am battling some problems with my shoulders, wrists and fingers so I may not be able to fish artificials non stop as I would like so I will be bringing some bait stuff for Tuna in case my aging West Coast Body starts to give out. Kil and I and hopefully some others will be hopefully getting a fair amount of sponsorship for this trip so there should be plenty of goodies to play with and take home.

For those with any questions at all please feel free to ask away. No question is a silly question so Please, Please ask.....

Scott, please Tell Jenn I send my best.

To all of you on other coasts and shores I really look forward to meeting you all and exchanging ideas and techniques. This trip is going to be OFF THE HOOK.

Jamie

Jamie thanks for your imput on the Alutecnos but it has held up well on three black marlin in Panama so Im not sure what your concern is as one of the marlin was estimated at over 600#s....I am mainly gonna be throwing poppers or jigging as I am not from the "Great Depression" era and am in fairly good shape for the shape I am in. Do you feel that a three kings heavy acid wrap paired with a PE8 loaded with over 500 yards of 80# JB hollow core would be sufficient as this reels can put out almost 70#s of drag from what I understand......By the way you have now had the award from that mens film you were in long enough its time to return it...LOL....Jen says hi and says for you to keep an "eye" on me while Im on the "wrong coast" :thumbsu:

#89 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Just am hoping you Jersey guys are better fishermen than you are Hockey Players......... Oh my... Did Jamie really just say that?? LOL GO KINGS GO. Next year guys..... But for this year the Playoffs and Stanley cup is and was all KINGS all the time.

Scott, The PE8 is an amazing piece of equipment for anglers who know how to use them properly. Jigging with that rig should be fun. You should be fine but I HIGHLY suggest you reserve a couple of larger 2 speed reels from the boat just so you can try them. At least you will have choices. I have yet to meet an fisherman from another coast who has NOT said these West Coast Yellowfin blow the doors off anything else they have ever fished as far as being tough. Though I highly respect a 600 pound Black I still would not put them, fished from a mobile smaller boat, in the same league as a giant Yellowfin Tuna fished from a Long Range Platform. It becomes even tougher for those who choose to not rail rod though a properly setup Harness is a great way to go as well. Should the boat be anchored, rather than drifting, it becomes a bit tougher yet. The great thing about this trip is we really will be able to compare techniques and gear used on different coasts. I love that and really look forward to seeing and hearing about the results. This trip is going to be fantastic.

Jamie

#90 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Jamie,
I am seeing the Salas PL 68 on different websites and am concerned with solid rings and hooks. Is it possible to buy irons with proper rings and hooks or do we need to modify them, any info is greatly appreciated.
David

#91 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hi David,

The PL 68 comes in several configurations. The one with the big tuna hook is ready to go as is. We have them at the shop rigged correctly from Salas. Do not buy the ones with the trebles. Many jigs such as the 7X, 6X, etc. will need to be re-rigged if you intend to fish big tuna with them. You can use split rings or they can be brazed rings and hooks of appropriate size.

#92 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

Jigging cow on the long range boats off Mexico daytime is tough though.
For some reason they hit jigs at dawn or dusk though it can be different depending on where we fish.
Even you are diehard jigging/popping fishermen, you are prepared to fish live bait daytime when they don't hit jigs.

#93 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

Jamie, have you ever heard of 'Sumo 7x" jigs, I found some used ones that are chrome with yellow flourescent tape on back with big solid rings and bbig nice hooks.

#94 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

Jamie, have you ever heard of 'Sumo 7x" jigs, I found some used ones that are chrome with yellow flourescent tape on back with big solid rings and bbig nice hooks.

Hi David,

Give them a shot though I have not seen much luck with the Sumo's. Of course not too many folks have tried them.

Jamie

#95 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

For those of you who are going on the West Coast Jigging and Popping trip you might want to take a look at the boat you are going on... The Excel. If you click below you can fill the screen by moving up the bar with the plus/minus so the picture will look more life like. The Excel has added wireless internet for those who need to keep in touch with home, work or ????. This boat is huge and set up beautifully for Jigging and Popping. I look forward to meeting those lucky JigNPop members who are going on this trip.

http://www.excelspor...ges/gigapan.php

Jamie

#96 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

Hi Jamie,
What line do you have on your ATD 30's and line capacity info would be nice.
Thankyou,
David

#97 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:45 AM

Hi Jamie,
What line do you have on your ATD 30's and line capacity info would be nice.
Thankyou,
David

Hi David,

I run either 80 pound or 100 pound hollow spliced under about 70 Yds of 130 hollow on top and get about 650 - 700 Yds if I remember correctly. The Topless 30 ATD is by far and away my favorite big fish reel when matched with a proper stick. I have 3 of them.

Jamie

#98 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

Getting short for me, I have booked roundtrip tickets to Cabo. Where is everyone staying the night before boarding? I have several timeshare options I can use in Cabo but not sure if thats good idea. I have been busy collecting tackle amd am looking forward to trip!!

#99 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

Yo David,

I may be one of the few riding the boat back. I may be one of the only anglers doing this but am not sure. I plan on sleeping a ton...

#100 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Kil,
Are you bringing different rods for others to use?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users