Jigging/Popping opportunities on the Excel

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:53 AM

I talked with David Geis, marketing director as well as one of new owners of the Excel today.
I am glad a reputable long range boat like the Excel shows interest in accommodating jigging and popping fishermen.
After I fished with 16 days trip on the Excel sponsored by Braid Products last December, I saw the huge potential of long range boats for jigging and popping fishermen.
The recent success of the Royal Star's tagging trip with some East Coast fishermen and Asia fishermen proved jigging and popping on long range boats is viable option.
I feel long range boats out of San Diego need new blood with younger generation and it is a right direction to accommodate jigging and popping fishermen who are mostly young throughout the world.
I love to see all jigging and popping fishermen all around the world enjoy jigging and popping on the long range boats in the near future.
Long range boats out of San Diego are perfect for jigging and popping fishermen as the rails are low and boats are very roomy to cast or jig. If Mexican Government allow to fish Revilligigedos Islands again,
it will be a paradise for jigging and popping fishermen.
Most jigging/popping fishermen don't keep any fish anyway.

#2 TheAvidAngler

TheAvidAngler
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

I would give my left kidney to be on that trip you went on last year...

Someday I hope to have the time, and $$$......to go on the Excell.

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

JIGNPOPis going to be a sponsor of 10 - 12 days charter out of Cabo San Lucas and we are working on it now.
I might go on 6 - 8 days trip on the Excel as a scouting mission in Aug or Sept.

#4 fishnh

fishnh
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

JIGNPOPis going to be a sponsor of 10 - 12 days charter out of Cabo San Lucas and we are working on it now.
I might go on 6 - 8 days trip on the Excel as a scouting mission in Aug or Sept.

when when when? :)

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

when when when? :)

David, give me a few days. They are checking their schedule.
It will be any dates from Dec to April.
But I don't think I can do it next April because I have a GT popping trip scheduled in April, 2012.

#6 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

keep me in the loop kil... when we goin flukin?

#7 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:55 PM

keep me in the loop kil... when we goin flukin?

Scott, you are in.
I have a trip to Nantucket on Tuesday. If weather is good, I am thinking to check Chicken Canyon for bluefin popping weekend.

#8 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

I Can't wait. I sure hope it is at a time I can go because I will make time if I can for this trip.
The Excel and Kil's group of fishermen is a great combination. Yeee Hawwww.

Jamie

#9 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

Scott, you are in.
I have a trip to Nantucket on Tuesday. If weather is good, I am thinking to check Chicken Canyon for bluefin popping weekend.

Ive been to the chicken canyon quite a bit lately havent seen any popping opportunities but we have been jigging them. The weekend is definitely not the time to go its a madhouse out there

#10 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

Ive been to the chicken canyon quite a bit lately havent seen any popping opportunities but we have been jigging them. The weekend is definitely not the time to go its a madhouse out there

I got a number which only a few boats know. I always like to fish away from crowd.

I hope I get all detailed info of the Excel trip by tomorrow.

#11 bowguide

bowguide
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:40 AM

I got a number which only a few boats know. I always like to fish away from crowd.

I hope I get all detailed info of the Excel trip by tomorrow.

Shoot that # over we can run out there on my boat whenever your ready

#12 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:06 AM

I did not expect to charter the Excel, but it becomes reality because new ownership of the Excel are willing to accommodate jigging and popping trips.

I originally thought about dates from Dec to April, but I found I only can go from late Jan to mid Feb because I have fishing shows from mid Feb to March and I have a GT popping trip planned in April.
I hope the dates I choose is fine with the Excel.
Otherwise I have to postpone the charter to 2013.

Judging from the responses, I don't think I have any problem to get enough guys for the charter.
It will be 10 - 12 days trip out of Cabo San Lucas. Hurricane Bank/Clarion Island will have the first shot unless we see better opportunities elsewhere.
Clipperton is a remote possibility. But I doubt I can do it on the first charter as it is remote and cost too much.
but if the first trip is successful, I'll go after Clipperton trip.

#13 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

The Excel has a 15 days open trip from Jan 22, 2012 and I was thinking about taking those dates.
But unfortunately 10 fishermen booked the trip already. So next best day is to leave Cabos around Feb 10, 2012 to fish 10 - 12 days. I just talked with a Capt in PV and he said tuna fishing close to Tres Marias Island off PV usually fantastic in Jan and Feb though they had slow fishing this year due to dirty water problem.
If fishing is good off PV, I'd rather fish there instead of Hurricane/Clarion as there are more opportunity for jigging and popping off PV.
The Excel will let me know about the rate in a few days.

#14 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:24 AM

Nothing is finalized yet, but the only remaining issue is the price. I don't expect the Excel ask unreasonable rate for our trip because they really want to do business with jigging and popping fishermen.

The probable dates are from around Feb 10 for 10 - 12 days trip.

Even the Excel is a huge boat (124' X 34'), I'd like to limit to 23 - 25 fishermen depending on the price the Excel quotes. I'd like to split fishermen from the US and from overseas. And I also encourage some bait fishermen join the trip so that popping situation is not too crowded.
Based on 24 fishermen, I reserve 12 fishermen from the US.

Here are fishermen who showed interest already.

1. kilsong
2. Jamie (fishordie)
3. David (fishybuzz)
4. Scott (bowguide)
5. Tuna Laco (Harold)
6. Racko
7. David (masonboro)
8. David (fishNH)
9. Ryan ( ExtremeFisherman)

#15 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

Nothing is finalized yet, but the only remaining issue is the price. I don't expect the Excel ask unreasonable rate for our trip because they really want to do business with jigging and popping fishermen.

The probable dates are from around Feb 10 for 10 - 12 days trip.

Even the Excel is a huge boat (124' X 34'), I'd like to limit to 23 - 25 fishermen depending on the price the Excel quotes. I'd like to split fishermen from the US and from overseas. And I also encourage some bait fishermen join the trip so that popping situation is not too crowded.
Based on 24 fishermen, I reserve 12 fishermen from the US.

Here are fishermen who showed interest already.

1. kilsong
2. Jamie (fishordie)
3. David (fishybuzz)
4. Scott (bowguide)
5. Tuna Laco (Harold)
6. Racko
7. David (masonboro)
8. David (fishNH)

This is going to be Waaay Cool. I have a 14 day ending just a few weeks before this so I am going to be totally spoiled with another 10 - 12 day trip. I kind of like that idea. I have been fishing the Poole line of boats now for 5 decades. The big and beautiful Excel is a fishing machine with NO boat in the fleet having bigger bait holding capacity or bigger fish holds. These includes freezers for long term fish holding and RSW for that perfect Sushi grade maintenance. For anyone who has not fished West Coast Long Range this will be an experience unlike anything you have done before. This is a floating hotel with great food, huge fishing platform, 24/7 customer service and many trips an angler can actually fish 24/7 once we have reached our destination. Should you wish to keep fish there are fantastic fish processors who will handle your fish for you right at the dock and send out the filets to the destination of your choice. For those who wish you can meet family or friends in Cabo, stay for 2.5 days before flying out to meet the boat back in San Diego, unless you fly in and out of Cabo with all your gear back home. The folks at the Excel will make sure you have an outstanding time. The boat has the ability to fish multiple locations including Puerta Vallarta, Clarion Island and Hurricane bank at this time of year. The Jamie bank is also amazing for all sorts of critters including vast amounts of Bill fish for those who like that sort of thing on a popper. It might be a bit late for Mag Bay but that is a 200 pound Yellowfin tuna haven and though these fish might be too big for many folks it could be something to think about. Mahi Mahi, Wahoo and Yellowtail abound as well depending on the desires of the charter master and passengers. Though most of these trips tend to target the bigger tuna and Wahoo there is usually a multiple array or variety in species. Sign up now as though we do not have the exact date or cost yet once it is booked I believe this trip will fill quickly. Don't be left out of this first of its kind event.

Jamie

#16 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

Hi Jamie,
It is a tremendous help to have an experienced long range boat fisherman like you because most of fishermen on the trip don't have any experience on the long range trip out of San Diego.
Fishing Panama is great and fishing PV is great. But fishing on a long range boats for 10 - 12 days ( actually 16 - 18 days trip out of San Diego) is a kind of fishermen's dream.
I never experienced 100 lbs yft or bluefin take 200 yards on 25 lb drag on the East Coast, but yft in Mexican water is mean and powerful and 100 yft there can take 200 yard.
We have destination choices among Hurricane Bank, Clarion Island and PV and Capt will decide based on latest reports.

#17 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

Thanks Harold for the map
Posted Image

#18 ExtremeFisherman

ExtremeFisherman
  • Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:53 PM

Kil I would like to join

Thanks
Epoxy Huffing

#19 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

Kil I would like to join

Thanks

Ryan, I was going to call you to join the trip. Jack also shows interest.

#20 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Lower Baja

Some might be fascinated with the stories of cow fishing in Lower Baja in the fall.
But I am not going to fish in Lower Baja for a few reasons.
We had an epic cow bites in Lower Baja in 2005. I fished on the Qualifier 105 in the fall and we had 77 cow over 200 lb. That was a fantastic catches by any standard. But in reality, we had only 1 and half days good bites to catch 77 cow and we had to search around for cow for the rest of 3 - 4 days.

And, it is not desirable to target cow for jigging and popping fishermen.
I am not quite sure how many guys actually can handle cow over 200 lbs with spinning popping rods even they have right tackle.
If one or two fishermen hook up cow and fight 2 - 3 hours, the rest fishermen have to wait until fight is over and probably bites are done by the time cow is landed.
Anyway, Feb is not the prime time to catch cow in Lower Baja.

I think 80 - 150 lb with a few cow mixed in are perfect for our trip.
Even 120 - 150 lbs yft in Mexico will challenge your skill and your stamina.

#21 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

Hi Kil,
Do we need to book trip through Excel website or through Jignpop? February date works excellent. One question for 'fishordie' who seems experienced on long range trip's, I might be intrested in bringing YFT home but I am not intrested in riding boat back to San Diego, is it possible to have fish processed in San Diego and having it shipped back to North Carolina without being present in San Diego?

#22 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:39 AM

David,
Nothing is finalized yet, but I don't see any problem so far. I wait for the price of the trip which they promise to give me in a few days.
When the charter is finalized, I'll post payment plan and fishermen pay directly to the Excel.
The Excel leave San Diego two - three days before they pick us up in Cabo San Lucas.
It is my understanding that you can send tackle to the Excel before they depart from San Diego or you can ride on the Excel from San Diego if you choose.

If you want to bring YFT home, the crew of the Excel should take care of it. When they arrive at San Diego, they contact a fish processing company and the fish processing company process your catch and ship directly to you.
Of course they contact you for the payment before they process.

#23 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

Hi Kil,
Do we need to book trip through Excel website or through Jignpop? February date works excellent. One question for 'fishordie' who seems experienced on long range trip's, I might be intrested in bringing YFT home but I am not intrested in riding boat back to San Diego, is it possible to have fish processed in San Diego and having it shipped back to North Carolina without being present in San Diego?

Yo MasonB,

Yes, you can arrange ahead of time to have a particular processor grab your fish at the dock, process it to your requirements or leave it up to them and then ship out to you as most of the processors have special arrangements with airlines for reasonable shipping. You would need to let the front office know what you are intending so they will know the fish is not being stolen...LOL. I can provide you the names of processors, all of which will do a fantastic job for you. The way long range works is you will be assigned a number. You hand a tag or two to the deck hand who handles your fish on the boat. The tag will be stapled to your fish to identify it as yours. Once the boat docks at San Diego the fish are unloaded and placed by number at the top of the landing. It is here the processor of choice will come and handle your fish for you so you do not need to be there. They will take all the fish assigned to your number. They will let you know the gross poundage and what you might expect as a yield in filets. The price they charge is based on a whole fish but we save some monies and increase the taste of the fish by having the crew gill and gut the fish right away or at their earliest convenience after landing the fish. This will also remove the blood inside the fish to make the filets even better. We will be able to use the RSW's to create Shushi grade fillets about 7 days away from San Diego. This means we will have about the last 4 days of fishing to place your newly caught fish in these holds. Prior to that everything will go into the freezer holds. As a note NOBODY in the fleet has larger holds or bait capacity that the Excel. These operations DO NOT scrimp on anything trying to save money so the Bait tanks will be full, if the customers decide and the fish cooperate, the boat can come home with I believe around 25 tons of fish. that is about one ton of fish per person though many of us will be releasing most if not all of the fish we catch. Wahoo goes home with me...LOL along with a 100 pounds or so of Sushi Grade filets if I am low in my freezers. There are also programs where you can trade your fish for cans. The ratio depends on how badly the the processors need fish but it can be anywhere from 4 to 1 to 9 to 1 where for 4 to 9 pounds of whole fish you get one 9 oz can. Not a great return for killing a fish but for many it works and this is a personal decision. Some of the canned tuna you get in the exchange cannot be found elsewhere so it has been a great option for some. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask as we can discuss the food donation programs available to you as well.

Jamie

#24 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:20 PM

Update

To arrange a such a big trip is not easy.
I don't see any problem to charter the Excel for 2013, but there are some obstacle when you try to make it happen by next year.

The current fishing schedule were arranged by previous owners and new owners of the Excel have to honor the schedules as many fishermen booked the trips already.

The dates I am looking for is the open trip from Jan 26 - Feb 7, 2011 or any dates in Feb.
The problem is there are 10 fishermen booked the Jan26 - Feb 7 trip already.
The Excel is contacting them whether they are OK if the Excel stop by Cabo San Lucas to pick us up or they are willing to fish in other dates so that we can charter the whole boat.

The Excel is scheduled to haul the boat out of the water after Jan26 - Feb 7 trip until April.
I asked whether the Excel can haul the boat out of the water after our trip in Feb if it happens.
If The Excel can not any of two options, we have to wait until the end of 2012 or 2013.

The Excel promised to give a final answer by Friday.

#25 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

fishordie,
Thankyou for reply on fish handling and processing. One question I have is you spoke about 'cans'. Are you talking about canned tuna? I am only intrested in sushi grade tuna, also if this trip happens it is not priority to bring tuna home, but it would be nice to bring some back to enjoy, some Wahoo would be nice also but we catch plenty here in N.C.. I will share Wahoo with you! :)
David

#26 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:07 AM

fishordie,
Thankyou for reply on fish handling and processing. One question I have is you spoke about 'cans'. Are you talking about canned tuna? I am only intrested in sushi grade tuna, also if this trip happens it is not priority to bring tuna home, but it would be nice to bring some back to enjoy, some Wahoo would be nice also but we catch plenty here in N.C.. I will share Wahoo with you! :)
David

Hi David,

Yes, usually it is tuna for tuna in cans but sometimes the processors will give you white meat Albacore canned in water as an exchange. It is always up to the individual angler to determine what their desires are in the way of processing. Like you, many prefer the joys of Sushi Grade only leaving everything else for the next person to catch by releasing the fish safely back to the ocean. Some anglers/Sushi aficionados only take the center cut of the loins to enhance their flavors and quality of filets even more. Others choose to keep everything they lay a hook into. I tend to leave the judgement aspect of the individuals choices to others as I am a 60's child and feel everyone should do what is right for them as long as they do not take away the civil rights of others. The truth is even if every West Coast Angler kept every Tuna they caught the total annual take would be a fraction of one single trip of a super seiner (about 3,000 tons or 6 million pounds of fish). I personally practice a ton of catch and release but I have no problem with others taking tuna for cans however I would prefer on a long range trip where big fish are targeted the little ones are let go so they can grow up to be big ones. Again, not my place to decide. On the other hand I guess I do get just a bit pushy asking folks to return big Calico Bass back to the ocean as they really need some help out here and the bigguns are breeders. Luckily, Mexico has very specific limits on fish regardless of size. A 5 pound baby tuna counts the same as a 200 pound cow. For most species it is 15 per species and 30 fish total for the entire trip. Amazingly enough Dorado (Mahi Mahi) count as 3, I believe, even though they are prolific as heck. In this way the West Coast long range fleet, which abides by these rules, keeps the total catches down to a reasonable level per trip and per year.
I really hope this trip is a go as those on other coasts who have not experienced West Coast Long Range are really in for a treat and an experience/adventure that will last a life time.

Looking forward to seeing you in Feb.... Hopefully.

Jamie

#27 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

Hi Kil,
Did you get update from 'Excel' about trip?

#28 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

Hi Kil,
Did you get update from 'Excel' about trip?

David,
The Excel said the boat had to be hauled out of the water after Jan 22/Feb 7 trip as it is schedule already.
They are trying to ask 10 fishermen who booked Jan22/Feb 7 trip already whether they can fish other dates or they can fish with us if the trip brecomes our charter.
However, I doubt it. The other option is to look for other boat as it seems we have enough interest to fish Feb in 2012 or to book the Excel in Jan or Feb, 2013.
They promised me to give a final words by Friday.

#29 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:17 AM

I considered Clippertion and discussed with a few veteran long range fishermen.
It could be a fabulous place if tuna are there, but I read very slow fishing there too. It is too risky because the trip to Clipperton requires extra days and extra money. Jigging/popping fishermen are pretty young generation though some old fishermen also enjoy jigging/popping. So shortening fishing days while we can fish where we want are critical as most of them are not retired. That is one of major reasons I prefer to sail out from Cabos instead of San Diego.

It seems the jigging/popping trip on the Excel from Cabos can not happen in 2012 because of their schedule already planned.
I am working with the Excel for possible 2013 jigging/popping trip.
However, I don't give up to charter a long range boat for 10 days jigging/popping trip out of Cabos in Jan/Feb 2012 because 2013 is too far and it seems I have enough guys to fish in 2012.

#30 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

Thankyou for your effort Kil, keep us updated on what you find out about other jig/pop trips. I will go just about anywhere as long as it is warm, has good food and has the possibility of jigging/popping nice fish.

#31 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:13 PM

David,
I really want it happens in 2012 and I am working on it. I can't wait until 2013. :)
I talked with Capt Joe in NC last week and he said grouper fishing has been really good, but I just can not find time. I am going up to P.E.I. for giant soon.

#32 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:46 PM

update

After discussion and discussion, it seems the charter on the Excel will happen in Jan 2013. We are working out details of the trip now and all information will be announced next week barring any unexpected thing. This will be one of a kind trip.

#33 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:09 AM

I highly suggest you folks get your wallets ready to go right away. This will require a large deposit and will fill quickly once Kil Announces the deal is set in stone. This is one trip no body on any coast is going to want to miss. Consider this the ultimate fishing trip for your Bucket list. Hope to see you all out here.

Jamie

#34 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:10 AM

Jamie,
Thanks for your extra effort to make the charter happen.
I started to call overseas already.
I am on the Frances out of Pt Judith, RI for fluking.
The Excel said they would submit a final detail today.

#35 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:21 AM

Jamie,
Thanks for your extra effort to make the charter happen.
I started to call overseas already.
I am on the Frances out of Pt Judith, RI for fluking.
The Excel said they would submit a final detail today.

My Pleasure. This is a trip I have wanted to do for decades and now the timing could not be better. The gear has improved to the point where we can keep up with the bigger fish we consistently run into this time of year and on that length of trip. The Ability to fish so many locations including Puerta Vallarta, Hurricane Bank, Clarion Island, Jamie Bank and if we really want giant tuna Mag Bay is just right up the way. However, most are going to love the 80 - 180 pound size of the normal fish with a smattering of bigger fish at the other locations. Perfect for Popping and Jigging. Oh and for those who want to try West Coast Long Range using bait the Excel carries about 700 scoops of bait for Chumming and fishing bait. No one has more capacity and the Excel will load us up. For those who have never witnessed this process on a boat this size figure the non stop loading procedure of about 4 or 5 crew members takes about 3 - 4 hours just to load bait. Like I said, get those Wallets ready as the boarding procedures, Tackle box locations and State room choices are normally based on who gets the majority of their monies in first.

Jamie

#36 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:17 PM

The trip is not finalized yet, but I start to call overseas and I got two fishermen from Korea who want to join the trip.
A few fishermen from Singapore wanted to join the trip and I am going to contact them to reconfirm. I am trying to get a few fishermen from Europe as well as Australia/NZ.

Here is an updated list who showed interest.

in the US

. kilsong
2. Jamie (fishordie)from West Coast
3. David (fishybuzz)from West Coast
4. Scott (bowguide) from NJ
5. Tuna Laco (Harold)from Washington
6. Racko from Cananda
7. David (masonboro)from NC
8. David (fishNH) from NH
9. Ryan ( ExtremeFisherman)from NY
10.Mark from Texas
11.gp125-racer from West Coast
12.monocom from NJ

from overseas
1-2.Jin and his friend from Korea
3. abousoulayman from France
4.mickyspect from Ireland
5-6. fisherman from Singapore

#37 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:27 PM

The dates of the trip (9/15 days) is set as follows:

Jan 22, 2013 : leave San Disgo
jan 25, 2013 : arrive at/leave Cabo San Lucas.
Feb 03, 2013 : arrive at Cabo San Lucas
Feb 06, 2013 : arrive at San Diego

The price is not final, but it will be around $4200-$4300 excluding Mexican permit/tip and the trip is limited to 25 fishermen.

#38 Angelo Ruvio

Angelo Ruvio
  • Moderators
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

Sounds like a good time.

#39 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:25 PM

Looking forward to the trip and Thanks for putting it together Kil. I know it is a lot of work. Definitely count me in!!

#40 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

David,
It need lots of work, but I am very relieved now after the Excel and myself agreed to make this trip happen and there is no big issue left.

The next step is to get enough fishermen and let them send deposit in time. :)
We are going to have a professional camera man on the boat for filming and taking pictures.

I like to see more participants from overseas, but I can not wait too long to get them because of deposit requirement. Whoever pay deposit first, he has a priority. :)

I'll do my best to make this trip as one of a kind. I am pretty sure we are going to have lots of sponsorship from tackle industries.

#41 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

Brian Metz from NJ is joining the trip. We have 13 full fishermen from the US, but I'll continue to take fishermen in case some might drop out when we actually collect deposit.

in the US

. kilsong
2. Jamie (fishordie)from West Coast
3. David (fishybuzz)from West Coast
4. Scott (bowguide) from NJ
5. Tuna Laco (Harold)from Washington
6. Racko from Cananda
7. David (masonboro)from NC
8. David (fishNH) from NH
9. Ryan ( ExtremeFisherman)from NY
10.Mark from Texas
11.gp125-racer from West Coast
12.monocom from NJ
13.Brian Metz from NJ

from overseas
1-2.Jin and his friend from Korea
3. abousoulayman from France
4.mickyspect from Ireland
5-6. fisherman from Singapore

#42 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

$1000 reward for catching 300 lb yft on a spinning reel by BHP Tackle

Land a 300lb yellowfin tuna and I'll send you a certified check for $1000.00.

Here are the rules:

1. You must hook, fight and land the fish on a spinning reel, no backup.
2. You must fight the fish without assistance from crew or other anglers.
3. You may use a harness or strap, but no other attachable leverage device.
4. You must be using a BHP Casting wind-on leader.
5. EXCEL Captain certifies the catch.

Basil Pappas
BHP Tackle

Thanks Basil for your generous offer.

#43 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

I just finalized the deal with Excel.

The trip cost is $4195 with 25 limit load excluding Mexican Permit and tips. Fuel surcharge may be imposed if necessary. They say current Mexican Permit is about $120.

I don't think you can get a better deal than this on the boat like Excel to fish out of Cabos.
You have an option to ride/down/ride back or to fish out of Cabos for the same price.
I might get a little cheaper rate from other long range boats, but I'd rather pay some extra to fish on the Excel.

They also accommodate our deposit schedules.
1/4 deposit of the cost is required within 3 months after signing the contract
and another 1/4 deposit within 6 months after signing the contract.

I am glad we finalize the deal. The Trip is ON !!!

#44 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

For some, jigging and popping with light tackle are granted, but there are many people skeptical of using them for big fish like tuna. Most of them never use them and voice their opinions on internet.
It is very difficult to argue with guys who have zero experiences.

#45 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

All fishermen on the list should contact me whether they can go on the trip or not.
Deposit requirements are very strict. If we don't pay required deposit in time, we lose the charter.

I am going to suggest some incentives to fishermen who pay the whole amount within three months.

We leave Cabos on Jan 25 and return to Cabo on Feb 3.

I suggest to arrive at Cabos on Jan 24 or earlier and leave Cabo on Feb 4 just in case of delay of flight. In fact, Cabo San Lucas itself is very nice town to enjoy a few days.

We have plenty of time to discuss about the trip.

#46 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:01 PM

I am in Kil! I guess I need to contact Excel for payment? Looking forward to trip even though it is a long wait. More time to save money and buy tackle!

#47 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:06 PM

I am in Kil! I guess I need to contact Excel for payment? Looking forward to trip even though it is a long wait. More time to save money and buy tackle!

David,
yes, send money directly to the Excel and let me know.

www.excelsportfishing.com

#48 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

One of the most famous Japanese fishermen showed interest in the trip. I hope he can join the trip. If he joins, other fishermen on the boat have a chance to learn lots of thing from him.

Our trip is primarily for jigging and popping, but these videos below are kinds of instructional. Guys who fish on the long range boats should get some ideas what to prepare and what to expect.

#49 masonboro

masonboro
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Spoke with David Geis (Excel sportfishing) this evening, very nice guy and am looking forward to trip.
Only 512 days till departure from Cabo!!

#50 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

Deposit Schedule

$500 by Sept 30, 2011
$550 by Oct 30, 2011
$1050 by Jan 31, 2012
$2095 by June 30, 2012

Contact the Excel (www.excelsportfishing.com) for the payment.
If you want to send checks, make sure you write down "Jan 22 - Feb 6 Jigging & Popping Trip".

We lose the charter if we don't meet deposit requirements.
Guys on the list, should send deposit in time not to lose their spots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users