Selecting the proper jig or artificial lure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fishordie

fishordie
  • Moderators
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:23 PM

I am putting together an article regarding my thoughts on How to select the proper jigs when preparing for a fishing trip.  Long or short range does not matter.  I think it would be very interesting to hear how other, accomplished, artificial jig slingers go about determining what their inventory of hardware should look like.  My ultimate goal is to help those who wander into a retail fishing store, look at a wall filled with an entire array of shiny objects, and somehow select the appropriate artificial.  Your input can be in regards to short or long range applications but for now I want to keep it in regards to salt water rather than fresh water.  The following are some thoughts into items you might use in your suggestions.  Please also let me know what percentage of your fishing trip is dedicated towards using artificial lures.

Size
Thickness
Weight
length and or width
Swim pattern on the retrieve and or sink
Hip designs
Retrieval speeds
Freedom of movement of the rings attaching the leader or hook to the artificial,
Determination of swim patterns and what you look for in actual, on the water, usage
How do you determine the real and true production rate of another angler using a different jig perhaps in a different manner.
Do you trend towards one or two jig manufacturers and is name brand recognition important to you
If you were to change from one manufacturer to a new one what parameters would cause such a change
How much does what you read on these forums affect your purchase vs. how much you do your own field testing
Do you match the hatch
How much does last year's or last trip's hot jigs affect your latest jig selection process
do you look for the location of the attachment holes on the jig for centering or offset 
Why do you choose a color other than Scrambled Egg, Blue/White or Mint??
Did you buy red crab type jigs this year
Does it matter if you are fishing West Coast or East coast only
Surface iron parameters or wants 
Drop jigs parameters and wants.
Inshore vs. offshore
Color of the water
Current strength
Do you really care about color if the jig swims well.  and If not, why do you think the manufactures give us many color options.
If you only could bring 4 jigs with you on any trip, based on length of trip and location, what 4 would they be (Color size brand/type and weight

Finally, and very importantly, do we overthink the entire jig thing or should we just grab whatever is closest and throw it or drop it?

I have my own opinions on each of these items but I would very much like to hear other input, especially from those who just love to throw artificial lures.  

As a note: This post is for opinions only.  There are no right or wrong answers and therefore there should be no arguments.... I hope. 

Also, I am planning on posting this on multiple areas of this web site.  I am hoping the Mods will understand the intent of this post is to ultimately create a useful purchasing help article for all anglers and especially those who are overwhelmed by the choices.   At the very least this should be informative.  

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jamie

#2 1big2una

1big2una
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:48 PM

Interesting topic, Jamie. Thank you.

>> Do you really care about color if the jig swims well.  and If not, why do you think the manufactures give us many color options.<<

The short answer is, no. Many of my friends swear that certain colors work best under certain conditions. I'm not convinced. The problem with that line of "evidence" is that there is no consensus on which color is best for any given situation. We all have our favorites.

Like many others, I've gotten bit shortly after swapping out "an unproductive color." But was the change in jig color responsible for the hit? Did a concomitant change in current or surface waves (which could change jig action) result in the bite? Did I toss in the new-color jig after crossing a thermocline? And what about change in ambient light?  Or maybe I just got lucky and the new-color jig was in the right place at the right time. -- Individual experiences, while valid, are hardly scientific.

I don't know the answers to my own questions, so I'll probably keep trying different colors when the jig I'm using doesn't produce. Besides, I'm a sucker for all the pretty color options, and those pretty colors look great in my tackle trays.  :D

No disrespect intended towards manufacturers, but IMHO the color varieties are a marketing tool and catch more fishermen (like me) than fish. That said, size matters (regardless of what your CEO tells you).  :lol:

_Larry

#3 luvtuna

luvtuna
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

It would take an encyclopedia to answer all the questions posed.

Why do manufacturers make so many colors? To sell more jigs!! After I made my first Tady lure order my employee said all your lures are blue and white, and I responded that's all you need. He responded that's ok but what you gonna sell 'em next week?

The jig color I prefer is the one that has almost all the paint missing (not from neglect but from teeth).

Color is important but for me the last thing I consider.

1, 2, and 3, it has to swim.

4. size is very important, match the hatch, match the fish you are targeting. A lure designed for blue marlin isn't going to catch many calico bass.

5. speed through the water, current and swell can be tricky. Sometimes you have to turn the handle slower or faster to get the same swim with your jig.

6. Depth. I am a surface iron fanatic but it doesn't always work.

7. Color can be very important after items 1 through 6 have been met. Each day there is one color that seems to work better than all the others, and this can change hourly.

Luvtuna

Edited by luvtuna, 22 June 2016 - 07:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users