yellowtail popping in Korea in 2015

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:27 PM

I had a great yellowtail popping in Chuja Island in Korea in Sept in 2014.
Due to warmer water this year, I decided to fish there in the first week of Oct this year.
Tsurusaki san of FCL LABO joined this time again with his cameraman. 

We fished three days in good weather and caught lots of yellowtail from the shore in small islands off Chuja Island.  But we didn't see many big ones this time.

When you watch Tsurusaki san of FCL LABO fishes, you get a firm belief how to work lures are the most important as he constantly catch yellowtail while he changes lure constantly in any kind of condition. 

SAM_0687_zpshv3avnfc.jpg

SAM_0688_zpsf7cf8hvg.jpg

SAM_0689_zpsse2mtpjv.jpg

SAM_0748_zpscayfbuvx.jpg

SAM_0757_zpsmfgq8zpp.jpg

Big stickbait worked great for big yellowtail last year, but smaller lures worked this time, maybe because of smaller yellowtail. 
Unfortunately I didn't bring many smaller lures this time.   I saw a couple of 3 oz Ranger Lures in my bag and I picked up one Range Lure to see whether yellowtail respond to skipping Ranger Lures.  
To my surprise, yellowtail followed fast moving Ranger Lures on top. But they missed the lure a lot. 

SAM_0734_zpsi8f0egsq.jpg

I observed every yellowtail popping fishermen carry Black Hole Calypso Monster Pencil.
So I decided to cast 40g BH Monster Pencil. The first concern was whether I can fast far with such a light 40g ( 1 1/4 oz) lure. But surprisingly the medal lure cast great.
Most fishermen work the lure by cranking steady. I got tuna and wahoo with the lure while cranking steady with different speed. 
But I decided to skip the lure on the surface as I did for the Ranger Lure and Found yellowtail just love it.  I used 110g BH Calypso Monster Pencil as I lost the small lure and I had no problem to get hit by yellowtail. 

I got to test the skipping technique for this Black Hole Calyso Monster Pencil for tuna or rooster fish.

SAM_0775_zpshqevypyu.jpg

SAM_0723_zpsj4b8gr0b.jpg

SAM_0738_zps2e6izunp.jpg

SAM_0742_zpsgioq9dxc.jpg

SAM_0762_zpsqouwddiy.jpg

SAM_0788_zpsfxetttcw.jpg

SAM_0790_zpsocskjaw1.jpg

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:41 PM

I brought new Penn Clash 6000 and two Black Hole surf/popping rods for testing.
I used two setup. One is Penn Clash 6000 and 10'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Surf rod and the other setup is Stella 8000 and 9'6" light inshore popping rods which weighs only 8.5 oz.

The light inshore popping rod was as pure joy as they setup is so light.
I plan to test the rods more before introducing for other fishermen in the US.

SAM_0709_zps730rh28o.jpg

SAM_0712_zpsrx3dk5c2.jpg

SAM_0713_zpsaktoqiil.jpg

SAM_0720_zpseoxmagou.jpg

SAM_0728_zpsdp3w0jlv.jpg

The Penn Clash 6000and 10'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Surf Light is a little heavier than the other setup because the 9'6 inshore rod is much lighter than BH Surf Light rod.
But it gives formidable feeling and this setup is for big ones.
The new Penn Clash 600 reel was very impressive. I don't see any problem to fight big yellowtail with the reel. I plan to test the reel for canyon tuna soon.

SAM_0795_zpsudyurs88.jpg

SAM_0764_zpsiarvozm5.jpg

SAM_0800_zpssmajoaz6.jpg

SAM_0781_zpsokuoibi8.jpg

SAM_0806_zpspf8l9azq.jpg

#3 Toddquek

Toddquek
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

Yes I notice the same thing, i was there same old place as you were last year, popping for yellow tail.

But very few fish were in this year.

I was there early Nov last year and found a little cold so went a little early this year on mid sep.

Thought warmer water may be better but the result wasn't as expected

Edited by Toddquek, 14 October 2015 - 10:21 PM.

Live to Fish

#4 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:22 PM

We had yellowtail this  year as many as last year, but they were smaller. 

The islands in Korea are too far from here in NJ.  If I go again, I go after I check the weather and fishing report on a short notice. 

The next destination in Korea will be Taedo. They say there are lots of big yellowtail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users