Jigging rods for SW FL/Dry Tortugas

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zward

zward
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:04 PM

Hi all, just signed on to the forum. I live in Minneapolis, MN and fish out of Marco Island, FL where my grandparents house is. We'll do overnight trips out 100+ miles into the gulf in our center console targeting grouper, snapper, tilefish and pelagics. Up until recently we were mainly just bait fishermen, and most of our rods are ugly sticks or similar, as usually with big grouper sensivity etc isnt an issue.

Now that we're making the longer trips more frequently, we've starting doing a lot more vertical jigging. It's a lot of fun and I've found it to be a great way to catch mutton snapper over bottom with a lot of red grouper (we're only allowed 4 red grouper but 10 mutton snapper, and more often than not it's difficult to get a bait to the muttons before a grouper gets it). With 8oz pink vertical jigs in 200ft or so of water, we'll catch a lot more muttons than red grouper.

Either way I'm looking to build a couple of shorter jigging outfits and wondering what your guys thoughts are on good blanks. I'm leaning towards a 250g and 450g rod, as fish will range from 5lb blue tiles to 60lb+ black grouper and depth will be from 200 to 700ft usually using 8-20oz jigs. The reels will be Penn Torque 7 and Torque 9 spinners.

Thanks a bunch for any info!

Zane

Edited by zward, 06 March 2015 - 02:04 PM.

#2 FISHREADY

FISHREADY
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:10 AM

I would say that a Black hole cape cod special 450g jigging rod would be ideal for fish 150# & heavier, I also have a Penn torque 9 reel and I personally don't like to bottom fish with it because of it's tightness to reel from deep waters, (Rock Fishing) I prefer to use the Torque 9 as a popping reel 

#3 capt.ADK'er

capt.ADK'er
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:08 PM

I would say that a Black hole cape cod special 450g jigging rod would be ideal for fish 150# & heavier, I also have a Penn torque 9 reel and I personally don't like to bottom fish with it because of it's tightness to reel from deep waters, (Rock Fishing) I prefer to use the Torque 9 as a popping reel 

"....tightness to reel from deep waters,"

what does that mean?

#4 FISHREADY

FISHREADY
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:33 AM

"....tightness to reel from deep waters,"

what does that mean?

Maybe I could have given a better explanation Capt., The one time i fished the torque 9 reel we went bottom fishing (Rock fishing) We were using 16oz sinkers, I was advised that with the type of fish we were going after that I would loose the fish if i pumped the rod, So I was instructed do a steady wind of the reel without the pump and wind as i lower the gear, Torque 9 with 16oz sinker + 5lb fish was a killer to bring the fish from deep waters to the boat, Even the deck hand un tangled my pole and gave a few turns of the reel and oh shit & handed my pole back, It's like the Torque 9 has absolutely no torque behind it crank, You absolutely feel every extra oz wt. added, I would rather use a reel with lower speed for bottom fishing, This is just my opinion, Now Capt. school me i was informed incorrectly on my fishing instruction about not being able to pump & wind the fish without it tearing a hole in the lip & hook coming out, I guess that it all depends on the type of fish you're going after, If he's going after Tuna or Yellowtail the Torque 9 would be fine because he could lower the reel as he wind & that would take away the hardness to turn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users