Dry Tortugas Trip with Capt Yuri on Sept 22 - 24, 2014

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:45 AM

I wanted to charter Capt Yuri's boat last year, but all dates are booked until next Sept. 

So I booked a trip in September 2015 and in May 2016.

But I can not wait that long.  So I asked Capt Yuri to find a spot for me to fish this year and he arranged a trip for me to fish Sept 22 - 24.

When I fish Dry Tortugas, I am only interested in two species.  Grouper and mutton snapper. 

I am not going to bring any heavy tackle this time. I plan to use Black Hole Cope Cod Special 80g and 150g for even black grouper. 

I got the confidence with the light rods after landing 270 lb halibut and yellowfin tuna upto 90 lb with BH Cape Cod Special 150g jigging rod and groupers with BH Cape Cod Special 80g in NC. 

For mutton snapper, soft Black Hole Magic Eye rods are perfect. 

I am going to use short BH Magic Eye 571XXH rod and long 753B rod for mutton snapper.

I arrive at Key West Monday ( Sept 22) morning and the boat leaves in the afternoon. After fishing, the boat come back to the dock around noon on Wed (Sept 22) and I leave for NJ in the afternoon.  So there is no loss of day(s) because of travelling. 

#2 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

When I fish Dry Tortugas, I have only mutton snapper and grouper in mind. 
Red grouper was biting well, but they were reluctant to hit jig on this trip.
I knew mutton snapper fishing has been slow and it was indeed slow. 

But I accomplished my mission to test light Black Hole Cape Cod Special 80g jigging rod when I fought big shark with the rod using close to 30 
lb drag and landed in 15 minutes. Capt Yuri estimated it was 8 - 10 ft long weighing 300 lb. 
I can safely say that the BH 80g rod can handle even 30 plus lb grouper. The whole fight was videotaped and I'll post it soon. 

I couldn't use my camera as when it got wet on the boat. So I had to use cel phone to take pictures. 

dt1_zps2d0a2d01.jpg

dt1_zps2d0a2d01.jpg

dt3_zpscc0a572e.jpg

dt4_zps5d3c4de3.jpg

red grouper fishign was good  though they were reluctant to hit jig this time. I don't take pictures of yellowtail, but they were everywhere 
and you could catch as many as you want.
dt11b_zpsd430ab61.jpg

dt12b_zpscedd1e02.jpg

dt12_zps81bdaec7.jpg

dt12d_zpsd4bffab1.jpg

Capt Yuri worked hard as usual to move around to find fish for us.  It is always pleasure to fish with him. 

100 lb goliath grouper was released.
dt15_zpsf34b5831.jpg

Nice king by Ed. 
dt123_zps1d2bde0b.jpg

Pictures of fighting 300 plus lb shark using light Black Hole Cape Cod Special 80g rod/JM PE6 reel using close to 30 lb drag.

dt8_zpsee62ca27.jpg

dt7_zps8200d8f8.jpg

dt9_zps42eb475d.jpg 

Though mutton snapper fishing was slow, it was a fun trip and I met new fishing friends. There was any dull moment because something was biting all the time. They use pretty heavy rods in my opinion.  I rather use light rods and reels for mutton snapper or grouper. 

dt14_zps8102fbd4.jpg

It is a scene of Kew West check-in counter. I thought something is wrong when I checked in as it looked the check-in counters were deserted.
dt16_zps2a5bb384.jpg

Thanks Capt Yuri and Capt Shane for giving me a ride from/to the airport.  I'll be back soon. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users