• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jessi1234

jessi1234
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:52 PM

Hello all

First post and happy to be here on a forum for our particular passion, I need a little help with choosing right set up and here it is. I live in Costa Rica and fish the central Pacific coast near Playa Hermosa, Playa Jaco area consistently and I am looking for a popping rod for roosters and cubers in the 25 to 50? lb range with medium to large size poppers and from the rock coastline and beach areas. I am 44 and have had some back and shoulder problems (don't we all) and need a rod and stiffness that allows for me to cast a fair distance with relative ease and pop as well, I am strong so don't get me wrong but something that won't break me after a short while while walking the coastline. I don't need to target huge fish but the occasional big cubera is always present and would like to raise one if fought wisely. I also have a jet ski which I fish from and would try jigging once setup for it with jigs and such, right now just variety of poppers in different sizes, this rod will be paired with a Quantom Cabo 5000 w 30lb braid and using around 50 to 70 flouro leaders? any suggestions are greatly appreciated and so far my search has turned up for best results a black hole magic eye 804s or so? what length and action best suits my needs? thanks all look forward to talking to you all more.

John

#2 jessi1234

jessi1234
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

No one has any ideas available?

#3 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

Black Hole Magic Eye 804S can handle any rooster fish and cubera snapper. It is fairly light (12.3 oz) and flexible,but very  strong.

I landed 90 lb tuna n 50kg (110 lb) GT with the rod 

If you look for a longer rod for long cast,  10'6" Black Hole Surf rod (heavy) is recommended. 

#4 jessi1234

jessi1234
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

Thank you Kilsong, would you recommend the 8ft or 7ft magic eye? would you recommend any other rod for my particular type of fishing? thank you very much for the help.

#5 Kilsong

Kilsong
  • Administrators
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:27 AM

We are going to get 10'6" Black Hole Surf rod ( heavy and light) soon.  Those rods should be good for roosterfish or cubera snapper.

#6 dkiser

dkiser
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

Jessi good day.  A rod you might want to check into is the advanced fishing Century slingshot surf rods. www.advancefishing-usa.com they are far from free, but they are super nice, and you can throw poppers a mile with hardly any effort. I fish for roosters in mexico from the beach, and these are perfect rods for that application. Good luck in your search.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users